First Time to Switzerland

Guest Don

We intend to arrive in Switzerland in September in the Geneva area, on a Saturday pm , with a motorhome weighing 3400 kg max. Is there any problem in obtaining the vignette sticker we read about, or any other useful info? Thank you.

Guest Don Madge
Don, You will be able to buy the vignette (SF40) at the border, they are on sale 24 hours a day. They don't except the "Plastic" but they will take Euros. They can also be bought at service stations on approach roads to Switzerland. We don't bother we always buy at the border. Safe travelling Don

Don (& Don) Crossed into Switzerland at Basel (Bale) in September of last year (as usual) and was able to buy the necessary certificate using "plastic" and my PIN. Regards Neal

Guest PeteC
Hi Don Get a vignet at or close to the border If your card has the MAESTRO symbol they should accept it, as this is the type of card used in Swiss. However take enough SFr with you Although they will accept both €uro and Sterling(£) We found that they would only offer 1/2 it value - So we went over the hill into Italy Diesel is EXPENSIVE in Swiss Enjoy

Guest Keith T
Hi Don, If you wish to avoid buying at the border, I beleive the vignette is also avaible in the UK from the Swiss Tourist Office in London.

Guest Keith T
Hi Don, If you wish to avoid buying at the border, I beleive the vignette is also avaible in the UK from the Swiss Tourist Office in London.

Don & Don I don't think things have changed. I think Neal is getting confused as you cannot purchase a drive-through 'vignette' for 32.50SF, as he claimed in an earlier posting (Swiss Tolls 27/6/05), because a 'vignette' at this price does not exist. I feel Neal dealt with the customs office where heavy goods vehicles have to report, and I know take payment in plastic, but this will not concern you. You can buy the vignette through the Swiss Travel Office website, as Keith says, at www.myswitzerland.com. However it's hardly worth the effort as the time taken at the border is about one minute (you stay in your vehicle) as you drive through. DO NOT buy from the website if you are over 3500kg as the vignette system does not apply. Type VIGNETTES in the forum search facility for more boring details I posted on 9/1/2005. Regards Ron

Archived