First time purchase Used MH

Tar-Ten

Hello everybody I am looking at buying my first ever MH and have £15k to put towards it. I have browsed through loads of different sites looking for various details, but tbh there are that many makes and models its a bit of a laborious chore ( unfortunately I am still having to work in these difficult times so don't have the free time )

I know there won't be a simple one solution but I thought it may be easier to talk with those with many many more years experience in these things to guide me in the right direction.

I am looking for a minimum 4 berth van upto 3.5T, although I can drive bigger on my licence my better half can't, and she does not want to go for the C1.

I am 6'3" so ideally a van that can accommodate for sleeping comfortably.

Initially it will be getting used for long weekends, festival type things and it will be for general overnight stays at places for sporting events.

I have no problem tinkering with stuff, ripping stuff apart and putting back together as I have a lock up where I already do a lot of vehicle stuff.

What I don't want is a van where things are known to break or rot which are near impossible to source spare parts for or have no aftermarket or am unable to modify equivalent bits to match. ( I read that one particular van that if it rotted under the windshield it was a nightmare to get to and as it was classed as structural it would fail mot and would cost a fortune to repair/replace)

Basically I don't want to spend more time fixing than enjoying. I understand that things wear and break but I also know there are vehicles out there that are more prone to being a pain in the butt after a certain age, condition and mileage...

Appreciate any info you guys can give....

Anything German, My best mate bought an 19 year old Hymer and it still performs brilliantly They now have it with them in Mallorca where they work.. Previous owners had always got a habitation check and this was invaluable.

I'd agree..

For that money an older Hymer or maybe a Eura mobil (or is it Euramobil?)

The only UK van (especially an older/cheaper one) that I'd look at, is maybe one of the the fibreglass bodied Auto-sleepers?

(but many of their layouts tend to be very caravan orientated but may be a bit small anyway, if you need 4 full sized berths?).

We occasionally toy with getting another proper MH and a few months back we noted an older Euramobil on ebay, that had rear bunk beds and looked pristine..and that was £14500 if I recall.

(but it would probably only ever be for occasional grandkid use, so we are probably just as likely to get a *cough* caravan... :-S )

For your budget, I think you will be looking at vans that will be 15, or more, years old. You specify four berths, so I assume you anticipate 4 people being able to sleep in reasonable comfort, and presumably privacy, and to be able to carry them on four, belted, travel seats. You do not say whether any of these people are children, or of what ages - but, and it is a big but - you also say you want a van of max 3.500kg MAM.

Given the above, I would advise that you look very carefully at payloads, since, especially if two of your passengers are children, you will inevitably be carrying all kinds of items that they will demand/need while away, and all that stuff, as well as your own, will add weight.

If the above is roughly correct, and you want minimal faff with the van, I think I'd try searching on-line for 2005 vans with 4 berths and then see what comes up. Many manufacturers have their back catalogues on-line, so it should be possible to check what was included as standard equipment.

I'd be a little cautious of Italian vans of that vintage because many were aimed primarily at the Italian hire market, and were designed to accommodate families for relatively short durations, so tended to prioritise number of berths over payload. They provide a largish, relatively lightly equipped mobile bunk-room, with several berths, that would be hired for family get-togethers or similar where the travel distances and durations are relatively short. OTOH, if you are confident that is want you want, providing they are in good condition, they can offer good value.

However, no15 year old van is likely to be entirely free from defects, either as bought, or that develop after purchase, so don't empty your piggy bank to buy it - keep a reserve in your back pocket for the unexpected. Also, insist on a thorough, recorded, damp check, with no damp detected, as a minimum condition of purchase.

Many if not most vans of the 2005 - 6 era would be based on the last of the previous model X244 Boxer/Ducato which was well developed by that stage and as good as anything else from that era for durability. and costs.

That said it would pay to keep a substantial cash reserve available in case a major fault emerged later as that can happen with any van out of warranty with the risk growing with age - just like owners who also go wrong more often as they age!

If you intend going to warmer climes very few of that model have cab air con but that apart there is much, from our experience anyway, to commend that model, especially if a newer early X250 is considered.

Again from experience we found of the UK makers the monocoque Auto Sleepers of that era were well made and durable but not that spacious. Auto Cruise, pre Swift ownership, also made some good vans but parts supply for the conversion side may be difficult or impossible to source now.

The German built brands, Hymer, Euromobil etc are generally well made but we never found a layout that suited our style. Layout is crucial for enjoyment of any van and it might be worthwhile hiring a van or two before you buy. When viewing try to envisage how it would work, make the beds up and lay on them, go through the motions of cooking and eating a meal on a cold wet day, sit on the loo and imagine using the shower cubicle inside it with the door shut, suss out the storage.

As Brian said look at the payload being sure to allow a reduced payload when heavy extras like batteries, solar panels, bike racks (with bikes), awnings and any other add ons that were not part of the origional spec. If the vendor will agree try and visit a weighbridge to ascertain the true unladen weight as upgrading is expensive and time consuming

If you have a friend who has some experience take them with you to view. If nothing else 4 eyes are better than 2.

A dealer buy should, but does not always, give you better protection although some of their warranties and not wonderful, but will cost more whereas a private sale is even more of a lottery. Many vans are genuine retirement or bereavement sales but there are also a lot of crooks and cowboys out there posing as private sellers but only out to con you in any one of many ways. If you do buy privately make sure to meet the actual owner at their home to judge their status for yourself and don't be fooled by verbal claims however plausible they may seem.

Thanks for the reply everyone..

It will be max of 3 people living in it at once...2 adults and a 14yo girl going on 22. I said 4 berth as I thought with an over cab double this would give the daughter enough space and privacy.

Most of the time it will be just two adults , as she is growing up her social life is better than both ours put together...lol ... so the overhead cab would be useful for storing golf clubs and other associated stuff whilst leaving the rest clutter free.

AIR con I can live without but power steering will be a must if I want to share the driving experience...

Are there any particular models of Hymer for that price range that are better.... Where would be the suggested better place to look for one for my budget...

I do have an extra 5k but like many suggested, was going to keep it as a buffer...

At the minute I live in North East coast of Scotland near Inverness so I am a bit restricted with access to many options. I was planning on travelling to purchase from a not so chassis harsh environment....

Our son grew from a toddler to a long 15 year old - at which time after many years of keeping him amused we all (all 3) of us decided holidays were more fun without him!

For all those years we used vans with an overcab bed as his domain but by the time he was a big lad it was starting to feel a bit cramped up in the 'crows nest' (our name for the overcab) but it worked well and gave him, and us, some peace and quiet! He often told us that it did get quite hot up there in summer and flippin' cold in the winter!

This has got a bit of age to it but looks to be in good nick..and the price isn't too bad...

Not sure how big that overcab would be though?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosleeper-Talisman-Motorhome-Camper-Executive-Motorcaravan-Amethyst/184215254354?hash=item2ae415b552:g:HIAAAOSwQ0teQdnY

but at 14yrs old, realistically how much longer is she(your daughter? )going to be wanting to share such a tight space with M&D?..chances are, if she still comes at all, she(or you?) may end up in a tent/awning anyway?

My understanding is that the Talisman was on the Boxer chassis and the Amethyst is a similat layout but different model on the Ford Transit base.

This one appears to be a Peugeot Boxer Talisman with the very durable, if a bit agricultural, 2.5 diesel. If it is non turbo it will be very s-l-o-w - especially fully loaded!

That typical AS end kitchen layout worked well for us over many years but the loo/shower is not generous for big people on hot days and bed making can be a real faff with lots of joins to fall through!

It seems expensive for a 23 year old van but if it is as good as it says might be worth looking at as these monocoque AS vans are rightly held in high regard, although I am always wary of over embelished ads especially where the initial description is not quite correct.

But then I am a suspicious and cynical old codger at the best of times!

You are hopefully right that she will want to not share with us and make other plans ... (lol)

I did find this Hymer Starline 1999 import, he has advertised it in a few places but specifies spares or repair on this one... I like the look of this old battle bus...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003208624604?advertising-location=at_motorhomes

We used to see a lot of these Hymers all over Europe, some well cared for and others that have a hard life but they seem to keep going.

Rust is the main killer of all vans, everything else can more easily be fixed so ask for an MOT test and accept that it will probably fail but if you know why and roughly how much it will cost to fix it could be well worth a punt - and that is what it would be - a punt, and one that could either be a cracking van or a pain in the chassis!

And whilst it is on a Mercedes rear wheel drive chassis it is on the pre Sprinter model of chassis with the floor mounted gear lever rather than the Sprinters dash mounted lever.

It is also the single rear wheel model so may be restricted on rear axle weight with the rather large body and rear overhang. I would insist on a weighbridge certificate with rear axle weighed separately to overall weight to see if it is viable to use at 3,500 kg as they do not specify GVW/MTPLM in the advert.

But apart from that the MB chassis will command a price premium over a Fiat chassis'd equivalent.

Keith.

Rear-wheel drive models (Ford or Mercedes-based) made by the Italian company Rimor might be worth considering (examples here)

https://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/archive.html?manufacturer=774

These would have been built on a ‘truck’ chassis with a twinned-wheel rear axle. They were often sold with a 3500kg maximum overall weight which raises questions about payload, but the overcab variants have a lot of interior space and the running gear is pretty tough.

Just looking at that Hymer again, and I've only just noticed how long that rear overhang is? ..and it houses a "garage"..blimey!

I do think that the OP should be careful not get too carried away, and in doing so head straight off down the "bigger is better" route.

In a few short years' time they could very well find that it's only the two of them,and they could be left lumbering around in an 7-8mtr van family?

(and with a teen still at home, disappearing off to the Continent for months at a times probably won't be an option anyway).

Yes it is a big overhang but can see its for the fixed bed at the back and general storage underneath at the sides. Have requested more info from the guy. Like you have said it will be the chassis corrosion or if its been welded that will be the deciding factor. Don't mind the floor stick.

I must admit I do like my comfort... Don't care what it looks like on the outside as long as its comfy...I will not be falling asleep thinking ' Yep...got one of the nicest looking vans out there ' whilst balancing on the end of a bit of wood with my chins touching my nipples....

You are right about the size thing though, but that extra 1.6m helps with social distancing you know.... :-D

I did find this Bessacar 695 for the same price and its 7.2m but the Hymer looks better quality

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003188576051?advertising-location=at_motorhomes

Keithl - 2020-04-14 7:35 PM

And whilst it is on a Mercedes rear wheel drive chassis it is on the pre Sprinter model of chassis with the floor mounted gear lever rather than the Sprinters dash mounted lever.

It is also the single rear wheel model so may be restricted on rear axle weight with the rather large body and rear overhang. I would insist on a weighbridge certificate with rear axle weighed separately to overall weight to see if it is viable to use at 3,500 kg as they do not specify GVW/MTPLM in the advert.

But apart from that the MB chassis will command a price premium over a Fiat chassis'd equivalent.

Keith.

Tar-Ten, as a newbie you would do well to take note of this post, long overhang motorhomes are renown for overloading their rear axles. It is very easy to end up with a big motorhome which has a very low capacity.

Tar-Ten - 2020-04-15 12:22 PM

Yes it is a big overhang but can see its for the fixed bed at the back and general storage underneath at the sides. Have requested more info from the guy. Like you have said it will be the chassis corrosion or if its been welded that will be the deciding factor....

The ebay advert shows the Hymer motorhome’s registration number (V316EWV) allowing the vehicle’s MOT history (going back to 2005) to be viewed on-line using this procedure

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Nothing catastrophic shows in the history (last MOT was a PASS on 14 May 2019) but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing seriously wrong with the vehicle.

Thanks everyone.... I have asked for more info including weight etc.... By the looks of it he may have to get an MOT on it himself unless this covid thing disappears off in a short time....They have not replied yet...

I have not decided exactly what I want , I feel a lot of travelling after the lockdown is required to fully get an idea of space and stuff.

Think a lot of it is going to be hit or miss...

I did look at mot history and agree there is nothing on there I couldn't have sorted myself.....

Although the Hymer’s MOT expiry date currently shows as 13 May 2020, the coronavirus 6-month extension should alter that date to 13 November 2020.

The MOT history shows that the Hymer’s wndscreen is damaged (though not enough for an MOT test failure) - you need to be aware that the cost of replacing the windscreen of an A-class motorhome can be VERY high. And the Hymer will be sold without any warranty...

The vending dealership’s website states the Hymer's iweight as “Under 3.5T”, which means that usable payload will be low at best.

(Presumably your partner would be comfortable driving a left-hand-drive motorhome?)

Hi,

Left hand isn't a problem we have both driven plenty through Germany,Holland and over in the States... Having read a bit more about the vehicle think it would be on the tight side. Not sure if this vehicle would have been down rated on import or not as I have read many older ones did..

The search goes on...however with not being able to go and look at vehicles I think I may just have to sit and wait for a while...

I've had a number of old Hymers, current one 2001 reg, brilliant van ,and never regretted any of them. As the saying goes ' it does what it says on the can'.

Loads of different layouts to choose from.

Pre 2007 models preferable as I think the quality decreased afterwards.

Also minimum depreciation when you come to sell.

You're height may present a problem for the overcab bed ,so well worth checking if you fit if you did choose that option

Archived