First timers to Spain for winter

Guest Richard Chitson

Guest Richard Chitson
Hoping to travel to spain for first time leaving around 12 december back end feb. Thinking of taking A75 through Millau down to Le Boulou could anyone tell us if we are likely to encounter bad weather i.e. snow on this route? The other question is can anyone recommend nice site in Denia area that has good access to bus/train into Benidorm? Thanking you. Richard

You will definitely encounter snow on the road to Millau. Last year we got caught in a blizzard on this route in Mid November. This year it got down to freezing when we travelled this route in Mid October.

it is like asking if we are going to have a White Christmas in UK We travelled down a few yaers back From Zebrugge. Left Uk on a slightly frosty day then spent 4 Days in sub zero temps. Motorways and Borders closed; All of Southern France from East to West in Chaos. The snow had come down over one night Oh yes Last night on Yahoo news program All France blocked with snow Eiffel tower close for ice 200 trucks stuck outside Calaise Brussels at a stanstil and most of Germany Also Northern Spain under a snow blanket Mountain passes closed So even going to Bilbao you can come across snow Once south of Barcelona you will be OK Advice take enough food for a week or two Carry water on board in 2 gallon bottles use Propane (Red)Gas instead of Butane (Blue) Also make sure you have some warm clothes Other times we have gone down at the same time in short sleeves and sun glasses Look up these ywo sites - www.uk.weather.com You can get world weather, and - www.autoroute.fr You can get a route planned and also look up for road reports Make any hold ups/getting lost as part of your adventure - most people get on the wrong road at some time - even with Sat Nav devices on board Have a good trip and hope this will be the first of many

Guest Don Madge
Good morning Richard, The more experienced winter travellers usually take the route down the west coast of France and the across central Spain. A winter route we have used many times over the years is Channel Port, Rouen, Tours, Bordeaux,San Sebastian,Vitoria,Burgos, Madrid, Albacet and Benidorm. Using this route avoids the the high ground in France and also the bandit country between the French border,Barcelona and Valencia. In Spain the route is dual carriage way all of the way. You go over the Puetro do Somosierra at 1440 metres. There's no bends on the climb it's a very well engineered road. The Spanish are on the ball with the snow clearing, we have seen snowploughs positioned along the road before the snow has started to fall. If you are unfortunate to get caught up in a heavy snow fall you will not be alone just stay with the trucks and the road will be cleared ASAP. Don't use the side/minor roads on high ground because they are the last to be cleared after heavy snow falls. If your van is not winterised make sure you have some water in containers inside the van with you. We have been travelling in winter time for a good many years and have never been stuck in a snow drift,come close a few times, lucky, I'd put it down to forward planning and experience. Don't take too much notice of the dramatic stories you hear from some winter travellers, the UK motorhome fraternity thrives on rumour and speculation. Enjoy your trip, I remember our first winter away, it was a very rewarding experience. If I can be of further help get back to me. Safe travelling Don

Snow conditions on this route? Likely, but you never know, so plan accordingly. I agree with Don in that the western route through France is the best, for both the reasons given. The only site open in Denia at this time of year is, I believe, Camping Los Pinos. Unfortunately, this is prominent on our 'never again' list. Have fun.

Guest Richard & June Chitson
Thanks to Mike E, Pete C, Ron B, & Don Madge, for info received on first timers to Spain. To Don we will look at the western route and maybe change which way we go. We are still struggling with finding a nice site in or around the Denia area, any ideas?. Thanks to all

Guest Don Madge
Richard, The only site I know in the area is Los Pinos I could not honestly recommend it. Camping Diana www.camping-diana.com has a reasonable write up in the CC Camping Europe guide but I've never visited the place. Safe travelling Don

Guest Mike Culver
Re , Camping Los Pinos, near Denia it was in the October,05 MMM, four tenners for a site, page 75, Whilst at the Camping Vall de Laguar site up in the mountains , a difficult journey up to it, we were in a transit Duetto, would not want to go up in anything bigger, overlooking Denia, MMM, Nov.04 page 75, Three tenners for a site, we were told it was okay, but did not visit, and as they say one mans meat is anothers poison. Good luck and be lucky

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pat Price
Camping Vall de Laguar is a good site. We drove up the mountain in a Hymer 544 with no problems. A bit tight on site because it is tiered (old olive/lemon groves). Super shower block and friendly owners. Lots of people there doing long stays which speaks for itself. We were there in January 2005. Hope this helps.

Archived