Fitting floor vent into shower room installation

trialsrider

Hello. I'm fitting a shower into a room which has previously just had a toilet. I'm pretty much ready for the final fix now. Shower tray cut, toilet trim cut, raised frame around toilet made. Just need to do shower tray frame and waste hole and then I'm ready for fixing. But before I do I was wondering if I should fit any floor vents under the shower and toilet frame. I know under there should never get wet but is it worth fitting a couple of vents to let it breathe under there? I'm not going to get another chance once the silicone gun comes out. Any ideas ?

IMG_20200709_194836_9_copy_631x468.jpg.2f51f7d4ca8337bea4708fb8e843b87b.jpg

IMG_20200709_195250_6_copy_631x468.jpg.bc6bc1503bc928641bc787c42b8eb31b.jpg

IMG_20200709_194933_5_copy_631x468.jpg.ca05161fdbddd6f8e78a8260dff90df9.jpg

Assuming that you are considering fitting under the shower/toilet frame vents that would allow air to pass through the floor to the outside air, I can’t see that doing any harm and it should help drainage if water ever did get into the void under the frame. You’d need to be careful to ensure that water could not enter upwards through the floor (ie. perhaps fit over the holes in the floor’s underside ‘deflectors’ that might themselves aid air circulation beneath the frame) but that should be easy enough to do.However, if you are confident water won’t find its way beneath the frame, the frame and floor shouldn’t rot and ‘breathing’ shouldn’t be needed.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-10 8:26 AM

Assuming that you are considering fitting under the shower/toilet frame vents that would allow air to pass through the floor to the outside air, I can’t see that doing any harm and it should help drainage if water ever did get into the void under the frame. You’d need to be careful to ensure that water could not enter upwards through the floor (ie. perhaps fit over the holes in the floor’s underside ‘deflectors’ that might themselves aid air circulation beneath the frame) but that should be easy enough to do.However, if you are confident water won’t find its way beneath the frame, the frame and floor shouldn’t rot and ‘breathing’ shouldn’t be needed.

Thanks Derek. I think I will do it. I don't think there is anything to lose by doing it

Archived