Fix for problem Dometic fridge lock

michaelmorris

Whilst we love are 2003 Elddis Autoquest 200, I would be the first to admit that the build quality is not brilliant and the appliances fitted were definitely specified with budget in mind. For instance, the Dometic RM4230 fridge has a stupid thin plastic retaining plate that is supposed to hold the fridge lock in position. In fact it is so flimsy, that the whole things bends and as a result the mechanism regularly jams and you have to partially disassemble it to get the fridge to lock again.

Last week I eventually got fed up with this palaver and made a replacement retaining plate of 1mm thick aluminium. It only took 15 minutes to fashion and so far no more jamming fridge lock. :-D

rps20180911_130454.jpg.00c0a6d78e0a46f8412bc62b21f294ee.jpg

We have been beset by the same problem with our Dometic fridge in our 2006 plate mh. Perhaps you could start a cottage industry providing replacements.I would be first in the queue to buy one as it would save me from the recriminations I face from the OH every time I break it after his best efforts to repair/replace the damn thing. >:-)

Violet1956 - 2018-09-11 1:48 PM

We have been beset by the same problem with our Dometic fridge in our 2006 plate mh. Perhaps you could start a cottage industry providing replacements.I would be first in the queue to buy one as it would save me from the recriminations I face from the OH every time I break it after his best efforts to repair/replace the damn thing. >:-)

It is VERY easy to make your own. All you need is a junior hacksaw, a file, and a drill. SImply take off the old plastic plate and lay it on top of the aluminium (easy to get cheaply from EBay), Draw around the plastic plate with a felt pen, then cut out shape from the alumunium (hacksaw and file). Drill the hole for the retaining screw and carefully put a countersink on the top of the hole else the retaining screw will snagg on the slider. Simples.

Archived