Flapping roof light blinds

Don636

Currently in North Uist and it is blowing a bit which causes the roof light blinds to flap gently up and down in the frame making an irritating noise. To get round this I fold up squares of kitchen roll and jam between the blind and the frame on opposite sides and it works a treat. Does anyone else experience this problem and if so what do you do.

Also, just out of interest, are there any other odd things that you have to do to deal with idiosyncrasies in your van?

Presumably the ‘flapping’ occurs when the blinds are closed?

This used to happen with the small REMIS rooflight over the rear bed of my previous Hobby motorhome if the blind was completely closed. In windy weather I just used to leave the blind partially open and in very windy weather I left it fully open.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any ‘flapping’ from the Mini-HEKI over my Rapido’s rear bed. This may be because the HEKI’s design differs from that of the REMIS equivalent, or we’ve been lucky so far with the weather!

The small Heki come in two options, one with ventilation and one without, basically there is a rubber seal or with the ventilated one the seal is omitted. My van also has the ventilated one over the rear bed, and in a breeze with the blind closed causes it too flap. The manufacturers are saying they need to fit one for ventilation I guess carbon monoxide?.

So some choices, leave the blind slightly open, or swap the seal for your other roof light if you have more than one.

The Mini-HEKI “Style” fitted to my Rapido has a rubber seal that extends across the rooflight’s front and halfway up each side. The two ‘ventilation’ types are described here

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/seitz/mini/heki/style/

but mine seems to be a sensible hybrid that won’t whistle and does continuously ventilate.

With no high-level ventilation a motorhome would soon become unpleasantly stuffy, and there's apparently a formula based on the vehicle’s living-area volume that defines the minimum amout of ceiling-height ventilation that’s required.

If a rooflight is designed to take a rubber seal but this has been omitted, there should be little difficulty obtaining the correct seal.

Derek

totally agree, and the video that's in the link you provided shows I think that they are both the same apart from the seal, i have also seen the seal as an accessory, however, I didn't want to advocate just buying a seal as I think the ventilation is also around CO, and would always advocate using a CO detector.

My dilemma was in Swiss winters the ventilation turns into a cold draught and of course this then causes the heating to be on more, its a compromise, but would always err on the safety side.

Guest pelmetman
Don636 - 2019-04-19 9:53 PM

Currently in North Uist and it is blowing a bit which causes the roof light blinds to flap gently up and down in the frame making an irritating noise.

If that's all the wind is doing :D ........

Then it must be almost summer ;-) .......

Clive_Adams - 2019-04-21 3:16 PM

Derek

totally agree, and the video that's in the link you provided shows I think that they are both the same apart from the seal, i have also seen the seal as an accessory, however, I didn't want to advocate just buying a seal as I think the ventilation is also around CO, and would always advocate using a CO detector.

My dilemma was in Swiss winters the ventilation turns into a cold draught and of course this then causes the heating to be on more, its a compromise, but would always err on the safety side.

As far as I’m aware provision of high-level ventilation in motorhomes/caravans is to encourage fresh-air circulation within the leisure-vehicle, not to guard against CO poisoning.

The iissue was discussed in this 2010 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ventilation/18327/

Don said that the “blinds” (plural) of his Vantage motorhome flap in the wind, which suggests that the vehicle has a lot of rooflight ventilation. His options seem to be to continue to jam the blinds, or alter the worst affected blinds’s seals, or leave the blinds open.

The corrugated-paper blind of the small over-bed REMIS rooflight on my Hobby used to (literally) buckle if fully closed in very windy weather, but the blind was not well tethered in the rooflight. The corrugated blind of my Rapido's Mini-HEKI rooflight runs on rigid wire ‘guides', so - even if fully closed - is unlikely to flap despite the rooflight having only a partial rubber seal.

Many thanks for the replies. I had a good look at the roof lights when it was windy and what happens is that the corrugated blind lifts as air passes over the roof light ( no seals) then drops back onto the frame, which is what the noise is. I was jamming some kitchen roll in to stop the noise but you are right, if I open the blind a little bit it stops the suction effect and no more noise. Thanks again. Three weeks on the islands and only one day of rain so far - incredible. What a place.

Archived