Flashing odometer

aandy

A few days ago the odometer on my 2.3 Euro 5 Ducato started flashing. It continued to do so throughout the day, over around 120 miles with several stops of up to 2 hours. No warning lights illuminated, the van drove normally, and everything else worked as it should. The following day the odo had returned to normal and to date, after a further 500 miles, it has remained so.

I am inclined to leave well alone as it seems to have fixed itself and was, in any event, only a minor irritation, but I can't help wondering whether it could be an indication of something more serious. Any thoughts?

Hello,

I can let you in on a little Fiat secret here.....

Although there are lots of computer controlled devices on a modern vehicle, they are all controlled and monitored by three distinct systems. The first is the engine management computer, or ECU and this gathers information and controls everything to do with the engine, as the name would suggest, and it can keep you informed of what is going on by means of messages in the instrument display or by the famous EML or engine management light. This EML will illuminate if something occurs that could potentially affect the emissions of the vehicle. That's all. No other reasons.

The next system is the ABS control unit. This monitors the brakes and has various sensors reporting to it so that it knows that everything will work as expected when you need it to. It is able to inform you that there is a problem with either messages or with the ABS warning light. It can even disable itself if it is particularly unhappy with the information that it is gathering but it will tell you if it does so.

The vehicle lighting and 'comfort systems' such as radios and air conditioning are looked after by the CAN bus or chassis network. The brain of this system is often known as a 'body computer' which more clearly describes it's function. This system is connected to various 'nodes' around the vehicle that monitor and report on various functions. If something is not working as expected and it's important for compliance with regulations, such as a tail lamp; the system will illuminate a warning lamp and probably a suitable message will appear but if the device that is malfunctioning or just not reporting it's condition or readiness to operate is considered non-essential (such as a radio or the air conditioning) the body computer has to have a way of communicating this.

It flashes the odometer reading!

It will do so if any result from communicating with it's various nodes was not as expected. It will continue to do so until the engine is switched off and back on again and if the problem persists it will not clear until it is resolved.

The most common causes of this have been as follows;

2006 to 2011 Ducato Euro 4

Either the climate control unit or the 'Blue and Me' bluetooth device are malfunctioning. The climate control problem was normally a faulty pressure sensor and the Blue and Me device was normally shot completely and needed replacing.

2011 onwards Ducato Euro 5

The combined radio/bluetooth unit has had a bit of a 'wobbly' and needs to be extracted from the dashboard and unplugged for half an hour. This normally solves the problem within another few minutes of reconnecting and starting the vehicle. I say 'combined radio/bluetooth' but although it is described as such; in reality the bluetooth unit is separate and hidden behind the radio unit. This may also need to be disconnected for a while.

I hope that helps.

Many thanks. You may remember that I have posted before about my fear (and ignorance) of all things modern and electronic, so it's helpful to have some basic understanding of how the systems interact.

Though I said initially that everything was working normally, it had slipped my mind that the radio had shown 'code error' shortly before we set off. That was after two consecutive 20 minute cut offs so I had assumed it didn't like operating the radio for longer without the engine running. It would seem now that the radio was the problem all along (though that, too, now appears to be working as it should). If the radio problem should recur, would disconnecting the engine battery for an hour have the same effect as removing the radio?

Andy

No it won't have the same effect.

Disconnecting the radio from a 'live' set up has the effect of it obviously not being there for an active CAN system to see. Reconnecting it after a period of time forces the CAN network to see it and re-install it so that it works properly.

Even with the ignition switched off, the CAN network is active and waiting for instructions from devices such as interior lights or central locking that have to be available when the ignition is off. It is in the same way that the radio can be switched on and be on a timer even without the key being in the ignition.

You can disconnect and re-connect any device that is connected to the CAN network while the ignition is switched off but should not do anything with the other systems powered up while the ignition is on or worse still when the engine is running. This can cause multiple errors that the system will get upset about. You don't want to make it angry! Multiple faults may not clear without plugging in the appropriate diagnostic device and this could mean a trip to a dealer.

This is interesting Nick and Andy. Last October the ECU was replaced in our 2013 Laika because of multiple warning lights, reverse lights being stuck on and the van being reluctant to start first time. Fiat paid for the unit but would not pay for labour as we were just out of warranty - so a £400 touch. Just this last week the dreaded EML has come on with an audible warning and visual "check engine"! The Laika duly went back to the Fiat Profesional garage - nothing wrong - £60 please. The EML didn't show for a few days but is now on again with audible and visual warnings. What to do is the question - Nick?

You should really start another thread for a different problem but I would suggest that if the EML has been lit, there will have been a code stored for this and that the dealer should have at the very least been able to tell you what they saw. The problem might be quite innocuous but you should at least be keeping a record of these events to see if a pattern emerges and then a plan can be devised to sort it out.

From another point of view; as you contributed to the repair cost previously, your repair or replacement part is covered by a two year Fiat warranty. You would not have been entitled to this warranty on that repair if you had not been asked for a payment. So if it is the same fault, you should ask the dealer to stop messing about and fix it!

It is considerably more likely that you have a different fault this time and that the wiring; probably the main earth strap is at fault.

Thanks Nick and apologies to all for gate crashing this thread. In my defence I have just had my cast removed from a broken wrist and it hurts!!!! Brain not thinking straight.............We will take the problem up with the garage again as you suggest. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

• 2 months later...

This thread is about "Flashing odometer" and i have explained what causes this to happen and the most common remedies.

A flashing odometer will not cause the vehicle to fail an MOT.

In fact; unless you experience an actual fault with the device that is reporting a problem or inconsistency, you can normally just ignore it completely. It often goes away on it's own.

Archived