Flashing oil light - Peugeot Boxer 2007 2.2 litre

colin weston

Had a service carried out in April this year at 6 years, mileage 30091 at a non-Peugeot garage. About 6 weeks later at 30500 miles I noticed the oil light was flashing just after I had pulled out of the services onto a Motorway. Having pulled onto the hard shoulder and checked handbook I decided it wasn't a serious issue so continued. Now at 31931 miles and bloody light is still flashing for a period after starting. According to the handbook the oil quality has degraded to the point where it needs changing. I have no reason to suspect that the garage did not change the oil and it feels OK when rubbed between ones fingers and not gritty. Having 'Googled' the subject I am not alone in having this occur after a service although the means of cancelling the light seems less clear. I have had the spanner symbol come up in the past but that eventually cancelled itself. I am hesitant to go to a Peugeot service centre as they will say I need an oil change and many others have found that the light still flashes even after a further oil change. Does anyone know how this device tests the oil quality and how to reset it?

It has to do with the automatic cleaning of the DPF (Diesel particulate filter). During this procedure the engine has to dipose of the contaminated diesel. This is being done by mixing it into the engine oil. The cleaning process is being counted, and after a certain number the light starts flashing, it means, that the oil is too diluted to be safe. It can only be resetted with the diagnosis computer in the workshop. If the last service was in April, the workshop might have forgotten to reset it then

To reset the service indicator after an oil change on the Ford Transit 2.2 (I think that it is the same engine) do the following:

Shut all the doors, Turn the ignition on and press both the accelerator and brake pedal. The service screen now reads 'Resetting the Oil Service' wait 30 seconds with the pedals pressed and it reads 'Reset the Oil Service'.

The 'service screen' on a Transit is an LCD display in the instrument cluster; does a Peugeot have such a display?

Perhaps this is worth a try?

ollybear - 2013-07-21 7:25 AM

It has to do with the automatic cleaning of the DPF (Diesel particulate filter). During this procedure the engine has to dipose of the contaminated diesel. This is being done by mixing it into the engine oil. The cleaning process is being counted, and after a certain number the light starts flashing, it means, that the oil is too diluted to be safe. It can only be resetted with the diagnosis computer in the workshop. If the last service was in April, the workshop might have forgotten to reset it then

If the OP's 2007 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 is a UK specification vehicle then it will not have a DPF.

ollybear - 2013-07-21 7:25 AM

In spite of the fact that (as already pointed out) Colin's vehicle almost certainly does not have a DPF; I thought I should make clear that this posting above contains so many errors that it should be disregarded entirely.

This is NOT how a DPF operates. Oil contamination could be caused by excess FUEL; but ONLY in the event of repeated failed regenerations. It would actually be the QUANTITY of oil in the sump being a problem more than the fact that fuel has ended up there. None of this is relevant in the current context.

Nick

Thanks for various suggestions and to Nick for his clarification. Peugeot diagnostics are obviously different from Ford's as the suggested procedure did not work. Neither did others I found on the internet. I visited the garage who did the service today and they put their diagnostic tool on the van. They found a lot of fault codes including an air conditioning pressure valve problem. I don't have air con! I asked them to clear all the codes but two remained: EGR and another unspecified. If there is an EGR problem isn't this flagged up as emission control problem? At present I am continuing to use the van as usual as I have oil at the correct level and I believe of good quality. I may phone Peugeot Service to see if I can elicit more info.

I know I have a catalyst fitted as I can see it in the exhaust. If I did have a DPF where is it located inthe exhaust?

Nick, you sound quite upset about my description of the regeneration process which I called cleaning of the DPF which might have caused some confusion , sorry about that. I believe we mean the same thing, the difficulty is, english is not my native language

Maybe you could complete your posting by some suggestion about the reason of the flashing lamp, which is what the initial posting was all about.

colin weston - 2013-07-22 5:35 PM

I know I have a catalyst fitted as I can see it in the exhaust. If I did have a DPF where is it located inthe exhaust?

Seriously, don't waste you time looking Colin as you won't have one.

The first Peugeot-badged UK X2/50s with DPFs were those with the 110/130BHP Euro5 versions of the 2198cc Puma engine first seen in 2012 (possibly late 2011?) model year motorhomes.

When fitted, the DPF is in the same position in the exhaust system as the second-stage cat. that you have identified i.e. immediately before the large transverse silencer box.

It is much larger than the cat. and has domed/rounded ends.

Also there will be 2 wiring connections for the pre and post pressure sensors and a fuel pipe connection for the diesel that is injected during regeneration.

The Euro4 catalyst has no such connections and is a standalone device.

Colin,

I tend to avoid getting into specifics when it comes to the 2.2 engine because we do not run any, and have limited experience of them. However; since we now know that there are a number of fault codes for devices that you do not have I am pretty certain that this is an electrical fault. You either have a poor earth close to the ECU as afflicts the Fiat versions with 2.3 and 3.0 engines. This is remedied by the fitting of an additional earth cable between the end of the gearbox and the original earth point on the chassis.... or you have a short in the main wiring loom. The former is much more likely and is a very wise precaution anyway since the existing earth strap is of poor quality and will already be deteriorating.

The vast majority of strange fault codes and erroneous messages are cured by the extra earth strap; I strongly advise ALL X250 owners to get one fitted.

Nick

euroserv - 2013-07-23 10:19 AM

The former is much more likely and is a very wise precaution anyway since the existing earth strap is of poor quality and will already be deteriorating.

The vast majority of strange fault codes and erroneous messages are cured by the extra earth strap; I strongly advise ALL X250 owners to get one fitted.

Nick

Nick

Just curious, but have you raised this with FIAT?

Hello Spospe,

Fiat are well aware of it. We took a one year old van into our local dealer with various electrical faults back in 2008 and when we collected it we were told that they had been advised by Fiat to fit the earth strap and it was done under warranty. They told me that this was a 'standing instruction' which means an in service modification to any vehicle exhibiting symptoms while under warranty.

I get the same dealer to make up batches of straps so that we always have a few in stock.

As bad earthing is a known and recognised 'charecteristic' of X250s, for the tiny cost of an earth strap and 10 minutes of knuckle skinning unbolting and bolting it seems daft not to fit an extra earth strap anyway - I have!!

At least now if (when) I get a fault I will know what it isn't!

euroserv - 2013-07-23 11:29 AM

Hello Spospe,

Fiat are well aware of it. We took a one year old van into our local dealer with various electrical faults back in 2008 and when we collected it we were told that they had been advised by Fiat to fit the earth strap and it was done under warranty. They told me that this was a 'standing instruction' which means an in service modification to any vehicle exhibiting symptoms while under warranty.

I get the same dealer to make up batches of straps so that we always have a few in stock.

Nick

Thanks for this. We are to change to an X250 based 'van in the New Year and I will be asking the supplier to ensure that this mod is carried out.

Nick,

Excuse my ignorance but could you be a little more specific in where you attach this earth strap? I know you said the end of the gearbox but I did not want to remove just any bolt and is the earth point the one used for "jump Starting" ie on the front bonnet surround?

Thanks

Stewart

PS do you supply them?

The original earth strap is a braided steel one and it is connected to the inside of the chassis outrigger on the near side and the top of the gearbox or gearbox mounting. It is difficult to see because it is obscured from above by the air filter housing.

It is recommended to leave the original strap in that position and use the same fixing to the chassis for the new strap and remove one of the screws on the gearbox end plate and secure the other end to there.

The new strap should ideally be made out of plastic coated copper wire (as used for good quality jump leads and welding earth leads) with each end terminated in heavy duty, galvanised ring crimps. The total length required varies a little depending on the fixing hole used and the gearbox type but around 12" would be ideal so that you can put a loop in it to prevent any stress.

Nick

PS.

I might be able to supply one but I try not to use this forum for the purpose of promoting my business. A good Auto Electrician should be able to supply you with what you need, and fit it for you if required.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your advice regarding the additional earth strap. My original is in fact braided copper, not steel. Nevertheless I purchased a 24 inch long plastic coated copper strap from a local factor today for £6.48 and fitted it per your recommendations. This strap turned out to be a few inches longer than necessary but I could not have got away with a 12 inch long strap. Maybe the gearbox is different on the Peugeot? I do have a heavy duty box fitted as I suffered from a severe judder problem with the original box.

I guess I now have to visit a Peugeot dealer to get my remaining fault codes deleted and get the light reset as it's still flashing on starting. If the problem was caused by a poor earth would you have expected the oil light to stop flashing at this stage?

As a matter of interest I queried the service people at one Peugeot dealership in Manchester and the only reason they could suggest for the oil light flashing after a recent service was that the wrong oil had been used. At the last service they used 10W 40 which is the same as I had at the previous service and this viscosity is approved by Peugeot anyway. I did wonder whether the problem could be caused by the system used to detect 'dirty oil'. I have tried searching for the method or sensor used without success. Does anyone have any info on what tells the ECU to activate the flashing oil light?

I have been thinking about this and have consulted the Fiat handbook to see if there are any clues in there.

I have come to the conclusion that the red oil light should only flash on vehicles that have a DPF and since yours does not, you do not have an 'oil quality sensor' either.

What you may well have though is a wiring loom that has a spare plug on it that would fit to the sensor if it was present. If this plug or wiring is damaged or corroded it could potentially cause the light to flash. It may be that the wires are crushed and are shorting or there is corrosion in the plug.

I don't think any amount of re-setting the fault code will get rid of this problem; the wiring and plug needs to be located and checked thoroughly.

Having said that; the flashing light is warning only of a fault that does not exist! If the light was permanently lit it would indicate low oil pressure; and that would be a problem. There should be absolutely no reason why you cannot use the vehicle while you wait to get it looked at.

Nick

PS.

The correct oil for the Fiat's at that time was 5W40 semi synthetic and it changed to 5W30 semi in about 2010. Euro 5 needs 5W30 Fully syn (low saps) oil. I can't imagine that the Peugeot is any different considering that it's Ford sister is strictly 5W30. There are alternative oils listed in the handbooks but for our climate the optimum oil will be 5W40 or 5W30. 10W40 is not up to the job.

There is no "oil quality sensor" in todays motor vehicles. Oil-Change warning messages are being created by algorithms including time, mileage, temperatures and various aother things. The flashing light on the Ducato (I just assume, Peugeot uses a similarECU/Software) is being initiated by a counter that counts the regeneration cycles of the DPF. If you get this flashing light without having a DPF, it is obvious, that there is some fault. The first step, in my opinion would be, before you change any wiring or plugs, to find a workshop that has a good understanding of the ECU and the diagnostic system, get the counter resetted and see what happens.

This is only my personal opinion and I do not expect more remarks like a few postings above recommending to disregard my posting. Like everybody else I have the right to post my opinion without anybody else saying I am talking nonsense.

Hi My Peugeot book says deterioration of the engine oil Soot in oil function your service interval is 24000 miles in normal use.If your vehicle is use in arduous conditions and consequently suffers engine oil wear and if your vehicle is fitted with this equipment you are warned by flashing of the engine oil pressure warning light and message on the instrument panel each time vehicle is started. The correct oil is as Nick said if my van was doing this the first thing i would do is change the oil and filter (it works on our transits at work and its the same engine).

Paul

Having pondered my problem further and the fact that I don't have a DPF I decided that the light might be flashing solely to indicate that a service was due as per the handbook. Based on mileage my service intervals are 24,000 miles. I had a 2 year service carried out at a Peugeot dealer at just over 10,000 miles and presumably they would have reset the service indicator. (This reset is now scheduled as part of the service in the latest handbook I found on the Peugeot site). The subsequent 2 services at 4 years and 6 years were at mileages of approx. 20,000 and 30,000 miles respectively and carried out by a non-Peugeot garage. If the independant garage had not reset the service indicator at either of these services the computer might have decided that I had covered 20,000 miles since the last oil change and put the light on denoting a required oil change. Maybe it logs time and flags the service after 2 years? I phoned the garage again and queried whether the service indicator had in fact been reset at the last service and the boss said he thought it would have been but if I wanted to take my van back they would check it again, having got 3 computers which might do the job. This morning I turned up at the garage and a different technician carried out the checks this time. He first tried a manual method which he assured me had been effective at resetting the service light on a Boxer 3. I had found the same procedure on the internet but had no luck with it. Neither did he! He then tried the first diagnostic box which was the one used previously by the other technician. This has a series of chips to be inserted depending on the make and model of the vehicle. No luck resetting the light. He then tried a Bosch computer which was fairly up to date as it made reference to whether or not a DPF was fitted. Again no luck. You can imagine that I was getting a bit despondent by now. He then plugged in the cheap and cheerful unit and lo and behold he reset the indicator and the flashing light was extinguished. For information this diagnostic box was an SP................. Obviously, not all diagnostic tools used by the independants will reset the service indicator.

I feel I have taken up a lot of your time trying to solve this problem but hopefully my experience may help others who use non-Peugeot or Fiat garages for servicing. The moral of the story is to make sure that the garage resets the service indicator even if the light isn't flashing.

Thanks again to all for your help and advice. Until the next time..........

• 1 month later...

Just reviving Colin's old thread because I have now suffered the same problem.

I do my own servicing and the van (2008 2.2 Boxer) had a recent oil change, using the correct oil, at 23400 miles but I had no means of resetting the service indicator in the ECU.

At 24000 miles as expected the spanner light iluminated and stayed on for 1000kms/625miles of our journey south and then went out by itself.

All sorted, or so I thought..

Then about 1500 miles later (it didn't seem to be at a round number in either miles or kikometers but could have been at the following restart) the oil pressure light began flashing a few times after each time the engine was started.

Now back home with almost 27000 on the clock and it's still doing it and the manual says to 'carry out the PEUGEOT service'.

Perhaps it will eventually give up trying to remind me or perhaps there's a third even more annoying stage yet to come.. Guess I'll have to get it reset.

This problem has never occurred on any of our Fiat's so it must be a Peugeot specific 'feature'.

Our diagnostic tool; Technotest Reflex is able to reset the service light and change the displayed intervals for servicing so I assume it should be able to do the same since all X250's use Bosch EDC16 ECU's.

If anyone (not everyone!) with the problem is passing Leicester I would be happy to try this out on a Boxer so that we have a definitive answer and you can then instruct your non franchised garage of choice which diagnostic machine they need to spend 5 grand on!!

Nick

Archived