Flat battery help

Mickydripin

ham - 2020-02-10 4:40 PM

I used jump leads from leisure battery to cab battery.

A leisure battery designed, for deep discharge at relatively low currents is not suitable for starting duties.

If your habitation battery is dual purpose, e.g. the popular Varta LFD90, it would be suitable.

However the late Allan Evans, from his practical experience, stated that such use could damage the habitation electrical installation, probably by blowing the fuse in the connection to the starter battery. The precaution of disconnecting the habitaton battery before using jump leads before jump starting, is a possible solution. The disconnected positive should be insulated, and the habitation battery, which may have been gassing should be ventilated before reconnecting.

Alan

Mickydripin - 2020-02-10 12:44 PM

Can I just put the charger on the terminals while the they are connected or do I have to disconnect them both before charging I have a cobra alarm will it affect that.

Mike.

On my x250 Globecar I've had to do that a couple of times with no problems. As for the alarm I'm guessing it will be no different to when you plug in to EHU if your battery gets charged that way.

FWIW...In the quiet period of the year:-

On my last Motorhome I checked the voltage of the starter battery and every 2 to 4 weeks, when it went down to about 12.2 volts, (Radio and Alarms etc.) I connected my 5 stage charger and left it charging for 12 to 24 hours.

Starter battery packed in around the 8 year point...next one was 7 old when the MH was sold.

Now have a Solar Panel fitted....both batteries now fully charged virtually all the time!

Archived