Fly Infestation

Mikebs

Hello,

My van is stored outside in a rural location. When I opened the van doors prior to a few days away I found hundreds of flies, they look like bluebottles, nesting along the rubber seams of the van and habitation doors. I don't think I have ever seen so many flies before.

I was able to brush them away but some escaped into the van and we have spent the last couple of days removing them.

Any tips for preventing this from happening again. I wondered whether fly spray on the rubber seals might work or any better suggestions.

Any help with this problem appreciated.

Mikebs

We've not experienced your issue on the van however we've had mini fly infestations in the conservatory and have used this product to great effect https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rentokil-Multi-Surface-Insect-Ant-Killer-Pen-30g-PSM73/232042355413?epid=1405425093&hash=item3606cd5ad5:g:I4UAAOSwM7lcXtbH - it's basically a bit like a Prit-Stick of fly killer which we wipe along the edge of the windows and kills the flies on contact. It may be that wiping it along the door seals would have a similar effect.

Thank you all for your replies.

Popped into the local hardware store close to where we are staying and bought a roll-on pen type fly killer, I think this is the product recommended by BruceM, sorry been out for the day and haven’t viewed replies until returning to the van.

Fly killer now applied to all door seals. I will check again tomorrow with hopefully good news regarding my problem.

Mikebs

Mike hi

Almost certainly cluster fly. (Various spp including Pollenia rudis)

(I can speak with some authority - I owned my own Pest Prevention company in Oxfordshire for 20 years

They are hibernating. They are called cluster fly because that's what they do - cluster.

They cluster because they release a pheromone which is like a beacon to other cluster flies saying " This is a good place to hibernate chaps!"

They are grassland flies in that the female lays her eggs in the soil and the larvae burrow into an earthworm and use it as a mobile larder while they develop! So farmlands/parklands are their habitat.

In the wild they would crawl under the bark of trees etc. to hibernate.

Your window seals mimic these gaps & crevices.

They land on the van in the warm autumn sun, then crawl and find the gaps.

They won't stop coming to the van until the first frosts kill off all the flies that have not yet hibernated.

So using an insecticide might kill them (doubtful with the current insecticides and an insecticide used outside will only last a day or so!) ,

BUT it won't stop others of them coming to the van!

2 things you can do to help

A) Wash all the window seals with a mild disinfectant, to remove the pheromone that attracts them

B) If you are able to park the van with either the front end or rear end facing south! This will keep the sides with the windows (and therefore seals) cold, so the flies won't land there in the first place!

After the first frosts the problem will significantly reduce.

(I had one Elizabethan farmhouse on the banks of the Thames with 4 stories. The lady of the house & I removed 4 large black plastic bin bags of these flies from one small bedroom on the 4th floor. (Attic conversion). Did these each year for about 5 years!)

Good news. The infestation is greatly reduced with flies only gathering where I didn't apply the roll-on. Having read the post informative post from laimeduck I had visions of buying a bulk quantity of black bags.

Just to confirm that the product I used was Rentokil mullti surface insect killer. I'm not certain how long it will be effective for but I'm happy to re-apply when necessary as the pen holds quite a lot of solution.

Archived