Folding Caravans -2

Guest Bill

Hi Bill Have a look on ebay.co.uk - type in folding caravan and you'll find there's some Rapidos an Esterelle etc. There are various types on the market/were on the market - there's an old Ansfold one on there at present - I've seen one in the flesh, they are very nice although don't have any facilities to speak of other than the seat/beds. Regards Mel

Guest Trigrem
Hi Bill We had two folding caravans, they were both Gobur Carousels. Hand built and very well made, compared to the French made equivalents. They are made by a company called Gobur Caravans in Norfolk,its a company that cannot do enough for its customers, in comparison to some motorhome manufacturers.I cannot give you contact details as I am at present in USA until just before the Peteborough show. If it helps there is a camping site close by which is called "Brick Kilns" so if you can find that in a site book for Norfolk they will give you the tel. number. They only sell direct to public and also have secondhand units for sale. Doug

There seems to be some confusion here. This was my original post, but some gremlin blocked replies, so I started a new thread: Some years ago I saw a large folding caravan with an unusual mechanism. It was built like a shoebox so that, in the folded position, the sides of the "lid" overlapped the sides of the "box". To unfold it, you simply raised the top until the bottom of the sides of the "lid" was level with the top of the sides of the "box". Does anybody know what this was called, who it was made by, and whether it is still available? Although the question refers to a trailer caravan I make no apology for raising it in this forum, as I can see no reason why the same technology should not be applied to motor caravans. It seems to me to offer a solution to the "height barrier" problem, and could also do good things for performance and fuel consumption

Archived