For and against MOT while SORN

BS20

Like many people here my MH has been in SORN and I cannot see any reason to renew the MOT until I intend to get moving again.

I have read that a few had gone out to renew the MOT but the MH is still in the SORN position.

As far as I am aware the MOT is not backdated after being taken out of SORN to the expiry date or am I incorrect?

When you do take it for its mot I would get the garage to email a conformation of the test appointment.make sure you keep it, I had a notice of prosecution five weeks after I had taken my other van for its mot, although it passed I didn’t tax it as not intending to use it and it was parked off the road and still sorned. Mots are not back date and if the previous one has expired dated the day of the test. If you take the van in whilst the current one has less that 28 days left they will date the new one from the date of expiry of the current one. There are new rules around whether you can take the van away from the garage if it fails on certain things.

You cannot get road tax without an MOT.

you must have valid insurance

you must pre-book an MOT and the garage must record your vehicle type and registration number (normally in the garage diary) which then becomes evidence if stopped or caught on an automated camera, An email from the garage also works.

you can drive directly to the MOT station or to a place of repair without stopping ie for fuel or milk

The MOT will be valid from the day of issue, However, if you attend an MOT 28 days or less earlier than the original expiry date, expiry be taken forward 12 months from the original date (so upto 13 months).

you must either now buy road tax before leaving, or proceed directly to Sorn location or place of repair without stopping as above,

if the MOT fails on a safety (do not drive) then either arrange recovery to Sorn location or place of repair. or leave with the MOT garage for repair.

I have 8 vehicles of various types not all on the road so deal with this situation a few times a year....

Don't forget some insurances have a requirement that the vehicle must have a current MOT at all times when used on the road. This is completely separate to the dispensation that allows you to travel straight to a prebooked MOT test without an MOT(not too far away from where the vehicle is kept) as that is not insurance related relaxation.

The OP asked about the pros and cons of updating the MOT during a prolonged period of SORNing a MH.

I didn’t bother when I SORNed my MH in October 2019 and the MOT ran out in March 2020. I decided that it would be better to time future MOTs in mid Summer, when we’re usually at home at both weather and opportunity for leisurely repairs if necessary would be easier. So I did the MOT last July, not anticipation such a prolonged SORN period.

Hopefully it will still work out well enough even if we don’t end up using the MH until Summer comes again.

Hi , MOT expired middle of November and tax end of November on my motorhome. As we generally tend to use the motorhome on the spur of the moment, when it looks like a decent weather forecast rather than plan months ahead I decided to get the MOT done and then sorn. If the weather outlook is good and restrictions allow it's five minutes on the internet to tax, and we can be on our way, Have had to wait two or three days sometimes to get an MOT appointment some years, in November not a problem, but with fickle UK weather you could miss the sunshine.

Regards David

There never seems a good date for the MOT if you travel a lot as we do Spain etc Winter time Summers around France etc , the MOT is good for some trips and not others , I have in the past renewed my MOT out of time [ earlier ] than needed so we could go for a longer trip , but hey ho that is how it is tax and Insurance done on line from where ever we happen to be when needed easy .

Archived