For sale scam

Guest Paul Dickinson

Guest Paul Dickinson
I have put an advert here and a couple of other sites for folding cycles. I have had a reply from a "Brian Logan" saying what is the minimum price I will accept and also "I will pay you with a cashiers cheque from a UK bank". I believe this is a scam. Beware sellers! I have heard that they send you a cheque for too much and ask you to refund the difference. Then the original cheque turns out to be a forgery. I have e mailed back to him saying why would I be interested in how he paid me? I don't expect a reply! but if he does I will let you know!

Hi Paul I had two replys like this to my advert also in broken english with the same format saying what is the minimum price I will accept and also "I will pay you with a cashiers cheque from a UK bank". I also believe this is a scam.

Guest Paul Dickinson
No Clive, I thought I was being helpful to other potential sellers of stuff. That's all. But I obviously don't think like you.

Guest Derek Uzzell
This certainly sounds like a variant of the type of scam that's currently doing the rounds. As far as I can see, it will only work if the seller is unwise enough to release the goods + spare cash to the vendor without ensuring the cheque is kosher first and, because of the way banks work, that may not be as straightforward as one might hope. I have to say, if I set a price for something I was selling and was paid more, the buyer could whistle for the difference!

Paul Pleased to see you replyed to that sacastic slur from Clive, You being helpful to other potential sellers .Via this forum , confirming that these scams are trying to take place unlike some people !! MikeT

Guest Will Redfearn Wirral Motorhome Club
I have had similar problems when posting internet ads. You get to recognise ther modus operandi. And yet people are still 'suckered' in, is it there own greed? These are generally referred to as '419' scams, beware because some sick individuals are now using the tsunami as vehicle to peretrate their sick trade. For updated information contact www.haox-slayer.com Some sites are now tracing the scources and blocking the input. So they then use a more circuitous route, if their talents where re-directed they could make a fortune legally, in the computer world.

Guest Mike Chapman
This scam has been around for many years and operated both over the internet AND by telephone. It is sometimes called the "Nigerian Scam". The "purchaser" usually uses a forged Bankers Draft or Cheque but other false payment methods are sometimes used. The internet scammer seldom actually appears in person and the way it is operated is as follows. You receive a call from someone who expresses great interest in your advertised Motorhome/Car/Van or other expensive object. He/she agrees to buy it unseen and says that they have a bankers draft for an amount in excess of your asking price ("Failed sale and I do not want to have to re-raise the draft"). He agrees to send you the bankers draft on the basis that you send him a fund transfer for the balance and when he receives it "The deal is done and I will call to collect the vehicle" which he seldom does. He may visit and hand over the Bankers Draft on the basis that you then hand over the vehicle and all its documentation and perhaps also cash or a cheque for the difference. Your fund transfer or cheque is cashed and you submit the Bankers Draft only to find several working days (can be 3 to 5 days)later that it is a forgery. The vehicle has by then disappeared or been sold on to some unsuspecting buyer. The really cruel fact of this scam is that if you hand over the vehicle without first checking that the Bankers Draft is genuine your insurance company may not pay out on your claim for "theft". My wife worked for a bank and was well aware of this scam having to deal with customers who had been conned. Simple advice. Never part with your vehicle or cash until the draft,cheque, money order or fund transfer is in your bank account and cleared. If possible photograph the buyer.

Hi Paul & All others There are several scams like this going round & it doesnt matter who you are we ran a Florists Supplies shop & got the same OFFERING flowers at Much reduced price,. Or one that kept pestering us that they coud get us grants from various boddies; Both wanted money up front. I got their addresses & reported them to TRADING STANDARDS They never came back Get theire mail address & report them to their ISP. The ISP is supposed to remove them Good travelling - Dont use the German version of this!

Hang on maties. My understanding was that this forum is NOT to be used to sell stuff. We have previously seen examples of some trying and generally these get removed ASAP. I am a suspicuous sod I agree, no slur intended but please see it from a different viewpoint as well as the one intended. How much are the bikes could be the next question?????

How much are the bikes? There, I've said it! No, don't tell me, I couldn't care less. I am NOT INTERESTED in the bikes. Clive, I know you've been lucky enough to retire but I didn't think you had sought re-employment as a secret internet policeman for the MMM forum. Leave this to the people who are paid to do it. And go and do something more rewarding with your well deserved extra time. Regards Neal

Hi Neal I genuinely was not sure about the original posting, hence my initial question. But I do enjoy some light hearted banter, I am learning that some don't. I try not to take life to seriously (unless it involved money!) No I am not a policeman nor would I ever want to be. I could tell you stories ----- but this Forum is definately NOT the place. I still have my great grand fathers Policemans whistle but things have changed a lot since then!

re this scam, thanks for all that information as we too have been sent this type of email yesterday in fact, we wondered why someone in Canada would buy a vehicle sight unseen and all the blurb you all mentioned re bankers drafts. We will email the advertisers and see what happens. no, we will not part with anything untill all is happily in the bank regards Henry

Guest Derek Uzzell
Henry: The prudent reaction to any e-mail or postal contact of the type you mention is to not respond at all. Any response, however negative, vulgar, provocative or antagonistic, just makes you a potential target for other future scams. These guys are very happy to share mailing-lists with their partners in crime and the next contact with you may be much more believable and subtle. Silence, in cases like this, is usually golden...

Archived