Ford Duetto

Guest Jules

Guest Jules
Hello wise ones, I have been looking at details of Ford Duetto's. Although I dismissed a van conversion at first thinking about the space, I now wonder if a van conversion along with a small dome tent to offload stuff into on site would be practical? Does anyone have a Duetto? would you buy another and have you had any negative problems with it. I have not been to look at one in the flesh yet, I'm waiting until the school holiday is over and roads calm! Can anyone tell me is the report true about the bed being hell to make up, consisting of many jig saw cushions and having to use the passenger and driver seat to do this is correct? Any feedback would be welcome. Jules

Guest David Powell
We were interested in getting a ford Duetto automatic as my wife only has TWO FEET so she can only drive automatics. We could only afford a "Preloved" one so we were looking at older models, but unfortunately they had all started to rust from the back axle backwards underneath, and one model had actually perforated in several places, so we gave up the idea. Bear in mind that we were only looking at automatics, so you will have a wider choice. Just a little pointer for you to look underneath the back end when searching. Otherwise we were very impressed by the Duetto in general, apart from the multi cushion beds.

Guest Mike E
Post 2001 models do not rust. The bed is simplicity itself to make up. One click and it is ready. It takes about 2 seconds. Would not recommend a Duetto for more than 2 people. But otherwise a fantastic vehicle. Mine's an automatic. Not only is the gearbox superb there is additional front end space due to the absence of a gear lever. Fuel consumption is around 35 mpg so is very economical.

Guest Sylvia A Burman-Hunt
Have had two Autosleeper Flairs on swb ford transit, 1989 model 2 berth with lovely notchy positive manual gearbox(which was stolen and never seen again) and 1997 model, automatic. Have since had a 2000 lwb Duetto automatic and now have a 2004 mwb automatic duetto with push button gearchange. Can recommend them all and wouldn't have anything but a Ford Transit based van. Beds no problem at all, no jigsaws. Plenty of space for two, storage not so good in the medium wheel base but we always take too much anyway. We only had rust problems on a 1982 Ford which had been a commercial and we had it converted by Holdsworths in 1985. 1989 model got rotten rear doors and got another pair off the internet. No hint of rust problems on any of the later ones. Go for it, Fords are GORGEOUS.

Guest Derek Uzzell
The main negative of Duetto (new or secondhand) is the elevated price. I'd recommend looking at the Horizons Unlimited Cavarno (MMM 04/05 pg 278) or the La Strada Pronto (MMM 04/05 pg 83), preferably with a TDCi motor.

Guest Mike Culver
We have had our Duetto for just over a week, went out in it for two days and stayed for four, its definately a two berth, it drives and rides well,its a manual and has the TDCi engine, have used the beds single and double, both okay, but the singles are the easist to make, takes just a few moments. I would like to met someone who has used the shower though !! and lived to tell the tale. Being an x caravaner we would like more storage but you cannot have everything in a van of this size. Happy hunting. Mike.

Guest Mike Culver
We have had our Duetto for just over a week, went out in it for two days and stayed for four, its definately a two berth, it drives and rides well,its a manual and has the TDCi engine, have used the beds single and double, both okay, but the singles are the easist to make, takes just a few moments. I would like to met someone who has used the shower though !! and lived to tell the tale. Being an x caravaner we would like more storage but you cannot have everything in a van of this size. Happy hunting. Mike.

Guest Mike Culver

Guest Derek Uzzell
Mike Culver: I'm intrigued that your Duetto has a TDCi (common-rail) motor. My understanding was that there were still only two TDCi powerplants available for Transit - a 2.0 litre (125PS and manual gearbox) for fwd models and a 2.4 litre (137PS and 6-speed manual gearbox or 6-speed Durashift auto-box) for rwd chassis, with the remaining diesel motors being 'ordinary' (ie. direct injection rather than common-rail) 2.0 or 2.4 litre designs. Perhaps I'm behind the times on this, or your Duetto has the 137PS variant (though I see no reference to this motor on the Auto-Sleepers website). Any information gratefully received.

Guest Mike Culver
Evening Derek, I am not machanically minded, but in response to your reply I attended my local Ford dealership, and they tell me that the model I have is a 137 PS, 2.4 litre, 6 speed manual, a TDCi, with a common rail engine, now I must take their word for what I have, I'm not sure whether thats good or not but its very quiet, runs well, the 6th gear feels more like a overdrive and we are very pleased with it. Like you I went on to the Auto Sleepers web site and also the instruction manual they do not give you a lot of information, I will be very interested if you are able to find out more, not that it will make a lot of difference to me as I hope all I have to do is put 'squirt' in it and top up the washer.! I will come back on to the Foram when we have used it more. Be lucky.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Mike Culver: That teaches me for being a Doubting Thomas! I don't know much about your Duetto's mechanicals except that the 6-speed gearbox cetainly confirms the presence of the latest, most powerful 137PS common-rail Transit motor. (And I expect there's a discrete "TDCi" badge on the radiator grille.) Ford advertise this powerplant as ideal for camper conversions and it's bound to turn Duetto into a flier. With the very high top gear I would think 100mph ought to be within reach (though I'd be a bit wary of whether the roof-lights would still be attached at that speed). The motor is rated as producing 375Nm of torque - that's over 30% more than the previously most powerful Transit diesel. I read (in a French magazine) that, because it's got so much 'grunt', the motor's output is restricted in 1st and 2nd gears. The magazine observed that this limited the vehicle's ability to accelerate quickly from rest, but I would think that depends on how one defines "quickly". Do let us know how you get on.

Guest Mike Culver
Evening Derek, Re the above, yes I would think the new Duetto would be capable of high speeds, but it will not be me who will be able to tell you how fast, been there and done that ! but at the moment the two lower gears do seem very 'low' and although I do not think we will be doing it, it would make a good towing vehicle, does anybody out there tow with a Transit? do 'travellers' use the forum ?

Archived