Ford or Fiat?

Guest Pete Leigh

Guest Pete Leigh
I am thinking of buying a Dethleffs motorhome, either a Gobebus 3 on a 2.3 Fiat or a Fortero T5915 on a 2.0 Ford. any helpin choosing please?

Guest David Powell
Hi Pete...Have a read of the post 10/11/2005...Fiat, Peaugot, or Ford. Go for a rear wheel drive if there is one there, much better traction on the slippery stuff.

The rear wheel drive chassis of the Ford is a very harsh/hard ride in my book. Merc overpriced but very nice, and good on soft ground. I have a compass drifter on a 2.5 TDI Fiat and yes it likes to sink a bit on soft ground but i find grip tracks often help me out of a/the hole!

Ford 2.0 TDdi [85-100ps] Front wheel drive only Ford 2.0 TDci [125ps] Front wheel drive only Ford 2.3 Petrol [145ps] Rear wheel drive Ford 2.4 TDci [90-137ps] Rear wheel drive

Guest Derek Uzzell
OK, what we've got here are 2 motorhome models made by the same manufacturer. They share identical layouts (rear U-lounge, small side-kitchen with wardrobe opposite, front washroom with 'movable wall' shower) - in fact, if you stood in the cab and looked backwards it's doubtful you would know which of the two you were in. Length and height are near enough the same for both, but the Fortero is (according to my French leisure magazine) 15cm wider than the Globebus. The base-vehicles are Ford or Fiat but conceptually identical (platform-cab, FWD). As the two models are so similar, if I were trying to choose between them I'd look for something that would sway me heavily towards (or away) from one of them. The Fortero's extra width means more space inside and a longer double bed. This would be important for us, but may not be for you. Conversely, the Globebus' slimness should make it easier to thread down narrow lanes. Is there a serious difference between the prices, or, for the same money, has one got a much better specification than the other? Will one model clearly be more comfortable to drive than the other? My non-UK Dethleffs brochure indicates a higher specification for the Fortero (C6002 heater, superior TV preparation, etc.), but UK-marketed imported motorhomes often have upgraded specs to meet UK buyers' expectations. (I'm assuming you are proposing to buy RHD in the UK). As far as the chassis are concerned, I believe the 100PS 2 litre Ford engine is standard for the Fortero-T range. The Fiat 2.3 motor would be preferable to this, but less desirable (and a whole lot noisier) than the optional Ford 125PS TDCI version. You'll need to confirm exactly what cab specification you would be getting for your cash (are air-con, electric mirrors/windows, etc. included?). The Ford has traction-assist - the Fiat may not. Check the driving position suits you as the Ford's seat is very high when a swivel is added. The Fiat's controls (accelerator, clutch) are lighter than the Ford's and it will be easier in the Fiat to pass between cab and living-area as there's no central floor-mounted handbrake or gear-lever to obstruct your progress. (In fact, it's fair to say that the Fiat cab's driving environment is significantly better attuned to motorhome use than the Ford cab.) Doubt if there's much to choose when it comes to actual on-road chassis performance. Best I can do - you need to compare prices and specification, spend an hour or two in examples of both and test drive both. If you still can't decide after that, then it will be time to toss a coin.

Guest Pete Leigh
Many thanks to all especially Derek for putting it all into perspective. We rang the main dealers and the servicing was much cheaper on the Ford but have since been told that it no longer a warrenty requirement to use a main dealer (is this right?). Just got to decide if we can live with the Ford floor-mounted gearstick. Clive I'd love to be able to afford a Merc. All contributions greatfully received!! Thanks again.

Guest Derek Uzzell
You would need to use a base-vehicle agent (Ford or Fiat) to carry out any warranty work (ie if the vehicle goes wrong), but my understanding is that it's permissible to have a non-agent do the obligatory servicing during the warranty period provided that Ford (or Fiat) parts are used and the servicing is done to Ford (or Fiat) standards. Something of a nest of worms this, and a potential bone of contention if you needed to make a subsequent warranty claim. If you chose to use a non-Ford (or Fiat) agent, you'd need to ensure that they actually did use original parts and that you had evidence of this. If you bought a RHD Fortero, I suspect you might find the Ford's central handbrake more of an irritant than the gear-lever. LHD Forteros have the handbrake in the left foot-well.

Archived