France or Spain ?

goldi

Deffheads - 2019-03-15 5:20 PM

Hi, Depends on time of year, Spain lovely and warm winter months and cheap!! France? okay, but in my opinion best travelled through as quickly as possible. Expensive and almost totally closed in winter months unless skiing.

my thoughts exactly

Hi

How long are you going for? We spend 7 weeks each year in France and love it, using Acsi sites so is great value, average £16 pn... even that is not long enough but Acsi ends about the start of July, so come back, sometimes go back in September as still better value than staying in UK.

Deffheads - 2019-03-15 5:20 PM

Hi, Depends on time of year, Spain lovely and warm winter months and cheap!! France? okay, but in my opinion best travelled through as quickly as possible. Expensive and almost totally closed in winter months unless skiing.

I agree, but then I prefer the warmer dryer climates.

peedee

goldi - 2019-03-17 12:48 PM

Good Morning,

Thank you all for your opinions . we shal be going to France in june as usual this year and Spain next January from the channel ports

I agree, Spain for the winter, in the south, but France has many more excellent Aires that are open all year. Financially, Spain cheap, and France expensive, so really best pass gently through!

The tunnel is cheaper for motorhomes, especially with a larger M/H, as there is a fixed price for all sizes, so do the maths!

I would gave thought it’s down to personal taste, we have found some lovely sites in France, in and out of season.

In travelling to Spain in Feb 2019 we stayed overnight at a lovely site in Bordeaux. Then hoped over the border and stayed at Zaragoza in Spain.

We have often used the Caravan and Motorhome recommended sites for our French sites.

It’s like anything, all down to personal preference.

Its a no brainer for me. France every time but we do tend to travel between June to November including the high season of mid summer. I dont think you can beat France. We have been to every single region. Such diversity, it has everything from beautiful villages, fantastic food and booze to some of the best scenery and mountains in Europe. We have ventured into Northern Spain and its lovely but having done a few southern "Costas" holidays in the past I dont think I would ever bother in the motorhome.

As for France being expensive I dont find it so. Some stuff is more expensive than here but Cheese and booze isnt! (lol) Where in the UK can you go and sit on a sunny terrace bar watching the sun go down with half a litre of decent wine for a fiver? Nice lunch three hour in a little eatery in Provence or a shopping spree at a French food market. Whats not to like plus thousands of great aires.

Barryd999 - 2019-03-19 3:36 PM

"Costas" holidays in the past I dont think I would ever bother in the motorhome.

I agree that France is a fascinating and motorhome friendly country but I really think you are missing out by not touring Spain. There is so much more to the country than the Costas. Cordoba, Cuenca, Seville, Toledo, Barcelona (we’ve never ventured to Madrid so can’t comment) to name but a few. I agree the Costas are not for everyone but Spain is a very diverse and historic country.

Cattwg :-D

goldi - 2019-03-15 4:22 PM

Good afternoon,

There seems to be a lot more people going to Spain these days as opposed to France what is your preference?

Depends on where I feel like going! :-D

But why limit your choices to France or Spain? Most people are likely to start their trips in France, so a bit of France is almost inevitable wherever you go.

But the EU comprises (still!) 28 countries, including the UK. So, even discounting the UK, that leaves 25 other EU countries to visit, plus a few more outside the EU. What is wrong with variety and difference. Go forth!

Cattwg - 2019-03-19 6:50 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-03-19 3:36 PM

"Costas" holidays in the past I dont think I would ever bother in the motorhome.

I agree that France is a fascinating and motorhome friendly country but I really think you are missing out by not touring Spain. There is so much more to the country than the Costas. Cordoba, Cuenca, Seville, Toledo, Barcelona (we’ve never ventured to Madrid so can’t comment) to name but a few. I agree the Costas are not for everyone but Spain is a very diverse and historic country.

Cattwg :-D

I am sure. As I said ive done parts of Northern Spain and enjoyed it. Im not a fan of cities or large towns though but I dare say there is a lot to offer but come summer which is generally when we tour Europe the pull of France, Switzerland, Austria, Southern Germany, Northern Italy is always too strong plus I gather Spain in summer can get a bit toasty. Anyway their cheese and beer is crap. (lol)

Barryd999

' Anyway their cheese and beer is crap'

I agree the cheese is crap, but what's wrong with San Miguel/ Estrella and Mahou, unless you prefer warm ale out of a cask!!

As for food, try visiting Gallicia in Northern Spain and try Blond beef steak [the best in the world] and as for wine, I'll stick a drinkable red at £1 a litre and bask in nice warm sunshine.

Deffheads - 2019-03-20 9:06 AM

Barryd999

' Anyway their cheese and beer is crap'

I agree the cheese is crap, but what's wrong with San Miguel/ Estrella and Mahou, unless you prefer warm ale out of a cask!!

As for food, try visiting Gallicia in Northern Spain and try Blond beef steak [the best in the world] and as for wine, I'll stick a drinkable red at £1 a litre and bask in nice warm sunshine.

Cant stomach any of that Spanish beer. Certainly dont like Cask Ale either. Give me a Leffe or German weissbier. I agree about some of their beef steak though. I quite like Mahon (Menorca) and have had some fantastic steak meals there.

Archived