France trip tips?

cruiser

Two years ago, we had a fantastic two weeks in and around Normandy. We arrived at Cherbourg and travelled the D-Day areas, then down to Mon St Michel. We were never stuck for anywhere to go, more by chance than by planning!

We're heading over again in mid-September, this time arriving in Roscoff and departing after a fortnight from Cherbourg.

Basically, we're looking for suggestions as to where to go and what to see during that time, and without too much long-distance driving. We're of...er...mature years, so would prefer picturesque villages and scenic routes, but all ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Cruiser

Not easy to advise without knowing what might interest you (or, perhaps more importantly, what would not interest you).

The “Village Etape” website lists 56 attractive French villages that ‘welcome’ motorhomes, and some of these are in Brittany and Manche. The map (and photos) on this webpage refer

https://www.village-etape.fr/les-villages-etapes/

It is possible to be sent a map by post - and it was also possible to ask for a 2018 illustrated booklet, as I have both map and booklet - but you have probably left it too late to get that before you go. (The website carries all the infomation if you know where to look for it.)

A GOOGLE-search on “motorhome britttany” retrieves the following results

https://tinyurl.com/ybnoov4m

We did the same trip the other way round late May/early June. Fou8nd everywhere very quiet with all campsites having plenty of space and all accepting ACSI discount cards. Roads were a doddle, again very quiet.

I would suggest you spend a day around Roscoff, a very pretty town with lots of touristy shops, good walks and restaurants, probably the highlight of our 3 weeks though Granville was good too.

Overall we had high hopes but were very disappointed with Brittany, it was just too quiet with many towns having no restaurants open so SWMBO HAD to cook most days 'cos there was nowhere to eat and there was just so little to do. As I said our holiday was out of high season, but only just. We won't rush back but next one we'll go down a little further, Loire or Vendee.

Each town we visited, we went to the Tourist information Offices and they were all, without exception very friendly and helpful.

Hope I'm proven wrong and you have a fab time though. Good luck (lol)

If you do stop at Roscoff in the town you can over nite here 48.72106 -3.98261 handy for restaurants and shops

Or 48,71197 -3.99977 nice free air overlooking bay pay services avail mile + from town / harbour both handy if late off the ferry

ColinM50 - 2018-08-22 11:57 AM

...Overall we had high hopes but were very disappointed with Brittany, it was just too quiet with many towns having no restaurants open so SWMBO HAD to cook most days 'cos there was nowhere to eat...

Wherever did you go in Brittany?

Selecting any town in Brittany that has a population-size of, say, 2000 people and GOOGLE-searching on the town-name plus “restaurants” will very rarely produce a nil-response. If we could not find a reasonably-priced restaurant at midday during the week, we would not go to France.

Overall we had high hopes but were very disappointed with Brittany, it was just too quiet with many towns having no restaurants open so SWMBO HAD to cook most days 'cos there was nowhere to eat and there was just so little to do.

Love Brittany for its peace and quiet although we avoid it's tourist attractions We never go July or August and being quiet and cooking for our selves is the appeal of motor homing if we wanted crowds and eating out we'd be on a package holiday

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-22 1:51 PM

...Overall we had high hopes but were very disappointed with Brittany, it was just too quiet with many towns having no restaurants open so SWMBO HAD to cook most days 'cos there was nowhere to eat...

Wherever did you go in Brittany?

Selecting any town in Brittany that has a population-size of, say, 2000 people and GOOGLE-searching on the town-name plus “restaurants” will very rarely produce a nil-response. If we could not find a reasonably-priced restaurant at midday during the week, we would not go to France.

I was wondering that. Ive always found Brittany fairly lively even as late as November and its always full of motorhomes. There are more Aires there than any other region of France. I think you can get the best of both worlds really. Peace and quiet and some lively larger towns. Some nice places inland as well as along the coast. Hard to say what to do for two weeks. I would just study the guides mentioned then study CC Infos and Camper Contact for the best aires to stop at. You cant go wrong really. It gets wilder and more like the west coast of Scotland the further west you go. For best weather possibilities the south east coast may be the best bet.

Archived