French Crit Air

ap climber

Changing our motorhome through dealership this weekend for 2014 Fiat Ducato Euro 5. Will be travelling through France South shortly after including through Lyon and around Grenoble. May not get V5 straight away. Can we Crit Air vinette in France if necessary?

It took just over a week for ours to come through.

You would need to have the V5 to do the online application as I'm sure you're aware.

Anyway that could get expedited so you get it sooner? Or could maybe the dealer sort that out for you prior to collection?

Details of each French environmental zone can be found on this UNOFFICIAL website

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/french-environmental-zones.html

That website offers an expensive ‘management’ service to obtain the French ‘sticker'. It won’t be any quicker (and will quite possibly be slower) than applyiing for the sticker using the official website

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

There is an FAQ section on the latter website.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/foire-aux-questions

Clicking on the entry "I have applied for my Air Quality Certificate” brings up advice on how long it may take from application to receipt of the sticker (“within around 10 days”). However, I note that an RAC website warns that (as Bill has mentioned above) the ‘wait’ may be as long as 6 weeks.

Another thing to note which might be relevant, is that once your application has been processed you should receive an e-mail with details of the certificate that will be issued. That happened pretty much straight away (couple of days at most) so you may be able to show this if required without having the physical certificate.

However, I would check that this is acceptable before relying on the mail as a guarantee.

Alanf1 - 2018-06-14 2:05 PM

Another thing to note which might be relevant, is that once your application has been processed you should receive an e-mail with details of the certificate that will be issued. That happened pretty much straight away (couple of days at most) so you may be able to show this if required without having the physical certificate.

However, I would check that this is acceptable before relying on the mail as a guarantee.

I'm fairly certain the email states it can be used as proof of having a critair

colin - 2018-06-14 5:44 PM

Alanf1 - 2018-06-14 2:05 PM

I'm fairly certain the email states it can be used as proof of having a critair

I applied for a French ‘emissions sticker’ in early-January 2018.

I received the following email response on 7 January

"Dear,

Thank you for completing an Air Quality Certificate Order. It is currently being processed.

Your order number is XXXXXXXXXXXXX. This number allows you to track your order. We advise you to keep it carefully.

Please find the registration required below:

Registration number(s) :

XXXXXXXX

Your feedback will improve customer service and make it easier for everyone. Do not hesitate to send us your observations on our website www.certificat-air.gouv.fr.

Yours sincerely,

The Air Quality Certificate Service

This message is automatic, please do not reply to it. To contact us, please use contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr”

On 8 January I received a 2nd email

"Dear,

We kindly request you to find as attachment your invoice relative to the Air Quality Certificate order concerning the registered vehicle XXXXXXX.

Your certificate will soon be sent by mail at the address indicated during your order.

In the wait , this invoice allows you to prove your approach and the classification of your vehicle.

Yours sincerely,

The Air Quality Certificate Service

This message is automatic, please do not reply to it. To contact us, please use contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr”

The attachment file mentioned in the 2nd email is not only an invoice but, towards the foot of the attachment, is the statement

"le coupon ci-dessous peut être utilisé comme justificatif provisoire de classement du véhicule dans l'attente de la réception du Certificat qualité de l'air par courrier”

(The coupon below can be used as provisional proof of classification of the vehicle while waiting for the receipt of the Air Quality Certificate to be sent by post.)

The ‘coupon’ itself carries a QR code, the vehicle’s UK registration number, and an image of the coloured roundel appropriate to the vehicle, and the self-adhesive sticker that will be sent by post will integrate all three of those elements.

So (as Colin has said) until the sticker arrives and can be attached to the vehicle, if the 'coupon’ is placed so that it is clearly visible through the vehicle’s windscreen, that will meet the French requirements and avoid a potential fine.

Billggski - 2018-06-15 9:00 AM

Just a tip, if you take a photo of your v5, the file will be too big to be accepted. If you email it to your phone and then send it back, it is reduced in size enough and the form will go through.

I must be thick but could you please give step by step instructions (as if I’m a two year-old)?

The photo of my V5 is below the required Kb s but the form baulks at ‘save’. The sizing information is in red.

I’m doing something wrong but don’t know what.

I take a photo of my V5 information page 2 with my ipad, email it to myself and open it up on my phone.

I then send it back to myself and open it up on the ipad, the file size has been reduced enough so that I can then download it onto the crit'air form.

I had the same problem with the image size, and you can use graphics programs to reduce the memory needed, but I tried this and it worked!

Just for the record, experimentation shows that the maximun size of the file that the Crit’Air sticker application procedure will accept is actually 409KB rather than the 400KB mentioned. Once a file’s size reaches 410KB the following warning message will be displayed in red:

"Attachment is required, size less than 400 KB and in the format .png, .pdf or .jpg. It is possible to compress your document quickly and easily. You will find dedicated websites by searching your browser with the compression keyword."

Billggski - 2018-06-15 4:35 PM

I take a photo of my V5 information page 2 with my ipad, email it to myself and open it up on my phone.

I then send it back to myself and open it up on the ipad, the file size has been reduced enough so that I can then download it onto the crit'air form.

I had the same problem with the image size, and you can use graphics programs to reduce the memory needed, but I tried this and it worked!

Worked a treat! Many thanks!

"May not get V5 straight away."

Also bear in mind that you must carry your original V5C whilst abroad, so you should have the original V5C in your name before you depart.

When I had a motorcycle stolen in St. Ettienne may years ago, the Gendarmes main interest was seeing the bike paperwork - fortunately that was not left with the bike & I was able to produce it. We always carry the vehicle papers with us when we leave the van - it is all kept together in an envelope that gets put in a rucksack or carried in a motorcycle pannier when we have the bikes with us (including the motorcycle documents).

Nigel B

• 3 weeks later...
Alanf1 - 2018-07-03 3:51 PM

If I recall I just sent pages 1 and 2 and that was enough.

I certainly didn't send pages 3 and 4 with the application.

Thanks Alan - have noted the above comments about emailing photos to myself to make them smaller. The Critair website is under maintenance for a couple of days so will give it a try at the end of the weeks.

David

Yes, life of the vehicle. The French are getting hot on polution, last year up in the alps you could see the haze on the motorways in the valleys, and the local papers were full of warnings. the sticker only indicates a category, and plans are to limit certain ones in town centres. So far.

Archived