Fresh Water

Sue

As novice motorhomers (got our Swift Kontiki last October) we have had a couple of trips to biggish sites to get the feel of things. A fresh water tap was on each pitch and we filled up using our 5 metres or so of blue hose. We will be going to CLs over the next couple of weeks - can anyone recommend what sort of water carrier we should carry? They all seem big and bulky, we have a carrier for our waste water, to carry another seems a waste of space. Tips on this and anything else we need to know would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Simon B
I generally fill up with fresh water when arriving at the site and empty the waste when leaving. This suits us as we rarely stay on site during the day. When we do need to top up, we have a collapsible 5 litre container bought at one of the shows.

Guest David Powell
Hello Sue, You can usually get close enough to a tap on C.L.s to fill up your tank, but it is not advisable to drink from your tank. There were some hair raising reports on what one can catch by drinking from the tank in a recent post (ref;- hose pipes) not long gone off the current list. If you are worried about not being able to get water at your next C.L. you can fill up before leaving your latest tap, a tank of water is only about the weight of one passenger, but always travel with it FULL, or as we refered to it in the tanker trade as PRESSED UP so that there is no FREE SURFACE. Half a tank of water slopping around when negotiating round-abouts or windy country lanes can be most uncomfortable, not to mention dangerous. I have known a Fire Engine roll over on half a tank of water, big tank. We have found over time that the best cans for carrying drinking water are four pint/two litre plastic milk cans. Just flush them out and there you are, free water carriers. Two are a nice weight to carry to the tap and back. they are a handy size to use in the van, don't take much room, and hold enough to give a good supply of fresh drinking water, and can be replaced free before they spring a leak. If you feel you would like to carry a larger container for domestic water to top up your tank, there are collapsible concertina type cans that take up very little room when empty, but they are not very successful.

Guest PeteC
hi Sue We carry a 20ft length of garden hose, which I clean out with a stuff called puri clean (or similar name) obtainable from most caravan dealers or MO Via Towsure. Only had problem reching one tap & that was because the seasonal residents had blocked thr way with parked cars. Many people do as David says and dont drink from the tank We have had no problems, and for the last 3 years have lived in the van for up to 6 months of the year (the joys of retirement) in most european countries. I clean the tank out before and after our journeys as instructed on the jar of the stuff (its made for cleaning drinking water tanks & is safe to use, some products such as 'Milton' can effect any metals in the system) We also carry Four x 8 litre ex water bottles bought on ur first trip abroad which we use when we are parked up and coupled to the awning so that we dont have to move the van. I have a 2 litre pop bottle with the bottom cut off and a bit of hose attached to the neck; as a funnel to aid filling the tank. We also use a filter jug, both at home and in the van for drinking water - this removes most of the chemicals put in by the authourities I clean out all the containers & drinking water pipes before use. It doesnt really matter about special hoses. The water is not in them long enough to cause amy problems. you are more likely to come to harm from the residues left in the pipe between uses, a green algie can still grow in the best quality pipes. We used to help out in a bar and the pipes were cleaned every week and instructions were to take out 2 pints & discard before serving the public - Dont think 2 pints were sufficient, but instructions are to be obeyed in matter of food stuff for public consumption Contact - www.motorhomefacts.com - the site is run by and for motorhomers and we get contacts from round the world now

Guest Cattwg
Sue, when parked up for a few days (or exceptionally a few weeks) to save having to stow a separate carrier for waste water, we empty as normal into the onboard tanks and then use the empty toilet cassette to maintain space in this tank. I always empty this waste at the chemical toilet disposal point to avoid misunderstanding! We then empty as normal whenever we decamp. Regards Cattwg.

When travelling in our van the water in the tank is used for washing, washing up etc. We carry 2 x 1gallon plastic containers for tea and cooking, these are filled directly from the tap and a 2 or 5gallon container of bottled water for drinking cold or brushing teeth. We are probably over careful but have seen several holidays ruined by not being careful. We did once have fun trying to ask a French Chemist for diarrhoea tablets using sign language as we do not speak French, yes the shop was full at the time. Travel safe and enjoy yourselves Thelma and Ray

Guest Jules
Fresh water tanks/carriers. As canvass creatures for the last year I'd like to post my tips for cleaning water carriers without chemical contamination. Most store bought cleaners have an odd effect on rubber/plastic and hose, this effect is they tend to release the oestrogen content of the said compounds/seals and free metalic compounds ready for ingestion, I became a bit of an anorak on this as i am on the road to recovery after killing off a tumour that grew when fed estrogens. I would be happy to provide any non chemical cleaning tips for anyone. The best way to clean water carriers I have found is to soak them in warm boiled water (2litres) with bicarb of soda added, about 45p a carton from the baking section anywhere. You will find an overnight soak will clean. If this fails then alka seltzer will do it with ease but once you see the water when you rinse, you will never swallow it ever again! I would never drink from a fresh water tank but would take spring water bottles, especially as certain areas of our mad country now add fluoride to the water, a big no no to women at risk of osteoarthritis. One last quick one, don't take lots of spray cleaning fluids to take away, I have one cleaner in my house, a polyspray filled with water and vinegar, it disinfects work surface, degreases, cleans ovens, derusts, cleans tiles, windows, carpet stains, grass stains and ants hate it as do midges!!! Hope it helps and does not bore Jules

Guest Verris
Although I carry a collapsible 15 litre container available from Halfords for emergency use I also carry a 20 metre food quality hose on a reel available for about £25 from caravan accessory shops(cheaper if you buy at a show) and a 5 metre hose for use when taps are near by. It is also useful to have a set of half, three quarter and one inch tap connectors (Hoselock type) and a jointing connector (2 male ends). As other replies have confirmed I suggest you fill up when you arrive, our 80 litre on board tank will last up to 5 days depending on use. But we dont use it for drinking from, 'cos of the bugs.

Guest PeteC
Mentioning dysentry and drinking 'spring' water 1 we have been on sites where people refused to drink anything but 'spring 'water They had tummy troubles We didnt & we drink ank wayer which is filtered & boiled 2 People next to us travelled 5 miles to a 'spring' Which when we asked the local chemist , who we had got friendly with It turned out that it was UNTREATED water for cattle use only 3 On our first trip we saw people filling water bottles from a mountain sprin (We have drunk 'mountain water straight from the streams in our native lake diistrict NO PROBLEM) this stuff for the Hochschartzwald spring grew a black algei overnight more nights on conyinental sites and our van has done more miles on the rhd side of the road than the lhd side our shortest trip abroad is over 3 months and we still have the unopened dysentry tablets we got 5 years back Who is fooling who We have spent

To PeteC If you check the earlier thread you will see I was referring to water obtained (unbeknownst to me) from a tap in Mocambique). British tap water is fine, and so is most of Europe's, though some areas of the Med, especially Spain, are iffy. I would be really careful in Morocco. I went on a week's package holiday to Marrakech; on the return more than half the passengers on the 100-seat airliner were ill, and the Port Health at Gatwick would not allow the rest of us to disembark until further checks had been done. A small tip from the old Rhodesian Army escape and survival handbook: you can make almost any water safe to drink by adding a little iodine. Interestingly enough, this technique was used in a recent episode of "Rough Science" on BBC2.

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Jules, In your reply you mention fluoride and women at risk of osteo arthritis. My wife has had both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis since 1971 but has never been told or read that fluoride is a problem. Could you please let us know what your reason for this statement is and where this information can be found. Not doubting your word in any way just not aware of this as a problem. Regards Kay and Mike Chapman

Guest PeteC
To Bil we wre talking about people who will be going to Europe. Not that many inexperienced vanners will go further I have been hosteling/camping since 1950 and for years carried and (as do many caravenners) drunk the water out of Aqua rolls There is no difference between an aqua roll and a fixed tank. except that as its name suggests the fixed tank remains with the van. However both are used to carry large amounts of water We normally use 3/4 of a tank of water per day. unless we are on the move when we can manage for up to 5 days without refill, when you add in the f x8 litre bottles My point was that you dont need to have a food quality filler pipe if you keep the one you use for filling the tank only and ensure that it is clean when you set off. Also 'spring water' is not always as clean as people thing I could take you to a fountain where camper fill their bottles and further down the hill the same water is used UNTREATED to fill bottles for sale. For places such as Moroco I would think in terms of using some water purifying tablets. We have travelled as I said through most of Europe including long periods in Spain and Portugal, camping in some sites well off the main routes One site in Portugal has a very large water treatment plant that is a requirement for his licence and this is inspected monthly. The certificates have to be displayed in the office People on this site (all nationalities) were travelling 5 miles to fill up fromm an untreated fountain (This will be turned off when the new baragem in Alentejo is operational - It will be the largest in Europe when it is full)

Guest Jules
Mike Chapman, I'll try to keep the reply short as I can and will provide web page references in this reply. I keep trying to jump up and down and be heard on these following issues but have the wrong catagory of Dr in front of my name, however I too have rheumatoid arthritis as well as being in remission from cancer, and made sure I researched into this as I got very little in the way of information back. NHS eh? There are two things that affect the human system, the first is BPA (Bisphenol A) found in plastic containers, cling film toys and the like and the second is fluoide. The first is in most plastics and some food by way of tin linings ect. This mimics oestrogens and affects both the female and male endocrine system. (a no no for prostrate cancer/probs) Females feel it worse especially later in life or if suffering from any form of arthritis. Fluoride is the worse additive to water ever and is mass medication placed in water with the lie that our teeth will be better. We should be use to government lies by now but the more that people that know it does not help us, the better. If like me you like research look up price weston fluoride on your web search. You will find out that fluoride certainly does not help teeth and serves to protect bones less. Some web sites to start you off (all with scientific references) www.nofluoride.com www.sonic.net www.fluoride-journal.com www.holisticmed.com www.mercola.com www.worldandi.com private email for further info if needed: juliealderson@onetel.com

Guest Mike C
Hello Jules, Thank you for the reply and references and contact for further information. We will study these and then come back with any questions. The concern is the water supply but also as you mention BPA and the type of plastics used for such items as Aquarolls, Plastic inboard fresh water tanks and fresh water fill hoses. Once again thanks for the info, much appreciated. Regards, Kay and Mike Chapman

Guest Clive
We fill our tank with the garden hose, just flush it through well first. When the motorhome is not in use the tank is drained, all taps opened and heater drain opened to completely empty the system. All taps and drains are then closed. We drink from the tank with no problems. I used the cleaning chemicals once in 7 years, never found the need since! Should we have fallen over by now?

Guest Mel B
I agree with Clive, we've always used the water out of the main tank for drinking etc, both 'fresh' and boiled and have never had any problems whatsoever. Just follow the 'system' that Clive uses and be sensible - don't drop the end of the hozepipe on the ground and then stick it into the filler tap without cleaning it well first! Believe me, I've seen people on campsites use the 'waste tank' cleaning tap to fill their freshwater tanks. The only thing I would advise you to be careful of is when you buy drink etc from food stalls etc. Why? We had to tell a caterer of his mistake at one of the MAJOR outdoor motorhome shows last year - he was filling the clean water tank for his food/drink stall from the toilet waste container cleaning tap/hose - he was actually sticking it in his nice clean freshwater container - disgusting!!! I don't know which food stall he was from but it put me off for life! Even when we told him he thought we were winding him up, until we pointed out the waste sign!!! His face went sort of green ... and he hadn't even drunk the water he was selling to his customers. For those 'cynical' ones out there thinking that this is blown out of proportion - it wasn't a fairy tail - IT DEFINITELY HAPPENED! You have been warned.

Guest martinh
whilst in cornwall last week we met a german doctor and his doctor wife, he was a motorhome maniac. his advice was never to consume water from on board tanks but to carry your own and clean it regularly. he listed all sorts of awfull lurgies as the reason why.he should know...And by the way, never eat yellow snow!!!

Another cautionary tale: we are just back from an aire we have stayed at twice when skiing. The "borne" is housed in a hut to prevent it freezing. There are 2 doors, one leading to toilet disposal, with a hose to rinse out etc. The other door leads to the fresh water hose. To operate the borne you insert 3 euros. Fine...but the fresh water is rather slow, just about fills our 130L tank in the 3 minutes. Can you guess what is coming...??!! Yes, those who are greedy, mean or have bigger tanks, or those who want to share the 3 euros witha friend...etc...were seen to be using both the hoses. A regular on the aire said she had actually seen a motorhomer put a VISIBLY SH***Y dirty hose into his fresh water containers. I love French aires however my advice would always be to be careful, clean a fresh water hose with dettol or something first if you think it helps your state of mind (!) but never to drink the water from your tank unless boiled first. We also sterilise our tank with Milton regularly.

Guest Mike T
Having been caravaning for a number of years before changing to a motor van. We learnt a long time ago even sterilise our tank with Milton regularly. we still had sore throats this we eventual put down to drinking the onboard tank water so we started using 2 one gall containers from the fresh water site taps No more problems with sore throats !!

Archived