Fresh water tank - low water alarm problem

Mel B

Hi all, we've got an intermittent fault on our Autocruise Accent (2012) and hopefully someone knows what it is/how to solve it.

The low water alarm keeps sounding on the control panel despite there being water in the tank: pressing the panel to silence the alarm and then checking the water level confirms that there is water in the tank - the 'blobs' light up to give the correct reading for the amount of water (ie 1/4, 1/2 etc) so we know they are working correctly.

Therefore the problem seems to lie with whatever activates the the low water alarm - is there a separate sensor in the tank or is it the control panel that's up the creek?

We can still use the water system so it's not a major issue but we're going on holiday again (yes I know!) in August for 4 weeks so want to get it sorted beforehand. The van's booked in for it's habitation check next week so if it needs something replacing etc they can sort it out, but it would be good to have an idea of what it could be.

I wouldn't expect the low water alarm to be triggered by a separate sensor, but you never know.

I think your Accent has a Sargent system that includes a visual/audible alarm that, when the water-pump is turned on, warns if the level in the fresh-water tank drops below 25% full. So, you could still have a fair amount of water left in the tank when the alarm triggers, but (obviously) if your tank is much fuller than 25% and the alarm is flashing/bleeping there's something wrong.

If your system is a Sargent one I suggest you contact the manufacturer for advice. Sargent has a reputation for being helpful.

http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/eshop328964.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop328964/Categories/Imprint

Get your hand inside the tank, clean the little probes with a scourer, bobs your uncle :-)

You will find the problem is more than likely limesscale on the probes.

Mine did this for a while and i spoke to Sargent. They told me to do the above and i have not had the problem since.

Hope that helps.

Derek - we know there's plenty of water in the tank when it does it, as a couple of times it was nearly full, regardless of the level in the tank the alarm goes off.

arjxh56 - unfortunately we have an external tank which is 'winterised' (covered in foam/tape etc) so accessing it isn't easy and would probably mean removing the fixings and dropping it down.

As the van is only a year old I think I'll let the chap who's going to do the habitation next week have a shuftie and see what he thinks, then he can sort it under warranty if necessary.

Assuming that your Accent has probe-type sensors in its fresh-water tank, one might reasonably expect cleaning the probes to cure gauge misreading if the gauge showed signs of inaccuracy within its read-out range. In your case, if the gauge is reading correctly across its complete read-out range, then cleaning the probe's shouldn't correct the alarm-related problem.

I suspect you've already done this, but it should be a simple matter to (roughly) check the gauge's accuracy and functionality by emptying the tank, then refilling it and taking level readings as the tank fills up. The tank could then be emptied and level readings taken during the emptying process. As the low-water alarm should be triggered only at the 25% full point, this could also be tested as the tank is emptied.

If (as I understand from your postings) the water-level gauge provides credible Full, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 readings, I'm doubtful that 'mucky' probes are causing the problem.

Archived