Fridge Failure AES

Guest Roy Hamilton

Guest Roy Hamilton
Electrolux AES II Fridge Freezer Model RM6505 Lunar Roadstar 720 Just back from 3 weeks in France where the 'fridge packed up during the second week. 12v power is there and the the alternator signal is there but no life in the LEDs. Helpful motorhome agent just next to Pegasus bridge in Normandy says the printed circuit card has failed. Can't check the fuses on top of the fridge under the black cover (as suggested in maker's handbook) as the fitting design makes this a major dismantling operation. (Lunar will be hearing about about this) Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Guest Clive
Disconnect the 12 volt element from the PCB and connect it directly to the incomming 12 volt supply from the car. At least it will go cold when the engine is running!

Guest Derek Uzzell
Lunar isn't the only offender in this respect. I'm told that it's also not unknown to find that a large fridge, once finally extracted from its enclosure, won't pass through the 'caravan' entrance-door of some coachbuilt motorhomes. This is due to the modern tendency of building such vehicles from the inside out, putting the exterior walls in place last. What fun! Another little joy involves burying the ubiquitous Truma Combi heater in the most inaccessible place that can be found. The Truma techs tell me Hymer are experts at this, but an exploratory tour round any major show will reveal plenty of competitors for the Hidden Heater award. As you've checked for 12V power and an alternator signal, it certainly sounds like you'll have to get the fridge at least partially out to go any further. Can't really comment on Clive's suggestion: it's not something I'd attempt, and (as the fridge would have to be extracted to do it) the problem might as well be rectified properly at that point. For what it's worth, I've never liked the AES concept as it's always seemed insufficiently useful to warrant the extra cost/complexity. I note that the latest generation of Dometic AES fridges has a manual over-ride, which may be significant. It seems that you can also retro-fit AES to manual models, though the Dometic rep was unable to convince me why anyone in their right mind would be inclined to do so.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Thanks for replies. Derek, did the Dometic rep say whether manual overide can be retro-fitted to those like mine without it? I'm not that fussed on this concept either as it's a nuisance when you go into a fuel station as you must switch off engine and if you are too long the thing starts sparking trying to light non existant gas. So it must be switched off and on again, maybe the little switch has failed due to overuse.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Roy: I'm sure there is no Dometic 'kit' to add manual over-ride to older AES fridges as the control-panel fascia would need complete replacement. The fascias of AES or manual current model fridges really only differ in respect of the power-source selection switch.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Derek. Thanks for info. I managed to dismantle the floor of the cupboard above and get to see the fuses, they're ok, so it's off to the local agent in Redruth I suppose. Heigh ho.

Archived