Fridge Servicing

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
In the past I've always had my fridge serviced yearly or so because of the soot/debris that could build up after prolonged use on gas. Bearing in mind our van gets used more than most and in very dusty/sandy areas at times. In the first year the van was used for 240 nights mostly the fridge was on gas. My fridge has to be taken out to be checked it cannot be done in situ, as I'm unable to do this myself I have to get some one in. I rang my local Dometic service centre who stated they don't do servicing only repairs. The fridge works OK I just want it checked over. So do members have their fridge serviced or not? if you do how often? Regards Don

Guest pete walker
hi don, in twenty years i have had my fridge looked at once and that was because of loose paint dropping onto the burner(it stunk) did ask about a habitation service but the dealer said(its all working isnt it?) you don't get your house checked every year do you?or the fridge freezer, and i don't use cxxgon in the washing machine, yet according to the advert we live in a hard water area, pete

Don Fortunately I can access the "dirty bits" of my fridge/freezer through the large service hatch (properly designed installation common on all US RVs!) and so I can give it a cursory once over whenever I feel. However, Pete may have a point. We live in a hard water area and I wouldn't dream of wasting money on bl**dy Calgon. You could buy a new washing machine with what you have saved. (What has this got to do with motorhomes and fridges???) Regards Neal

Guest chris
jUST HAD OUR FRIDGE cleaned as not lighting properly. Advice from dealers foreman was to use red bottled gas as it is much cleaner so that is what we have done for our 5 week tour of Europe next week. Service and new small part cost £25. Fridge is still under 2 year old but dirt does get in no matter what. Our dealer is in South Wales but he did squeeze us in as he knew we were away soon.

Guest PeteC
Fridge is 5 years old but dont use it on gas much also always use Propane, as we often travel in the cold weather Seems OK

Guest pete walker
neil, i chucked the bit in about calgon because i feel companys like this seem to be trying very hard to frighten us into buying their product (the gas company one about their insurance package boiler bursting in the middle of a sunday night ect)is much the same and although i'm sure this does happen from time to time when did it last happen to you or i?,i feel the same about the habitation service. pete

Archived