Fridge burner flame

mrpip50

Hi,

I have a Thetford N150 fridge/freezer in my 2008 Chausson Welcome 85 on a Fiat base.

When on gas operation (no problems with getting it to work) the burner has a roaring flame like a blowtorch. Is this normal? In previous fridges in other vans the fridge gas flame was a quiet blue like a candle flame. It has to cool a fridge and a freezer so maybe it needs to be this way. Any advice would be most welcome. I am wondering how long it will be before the burner burns out!

If your flame is blue and not yellow it is burning as it should, if the jet is larger than previous F/F that will give you a larger flame, which may be because the manufacturer has designed it so to make it more efficient. What did the Technician say about it when he did you Habitation check?

Robert

Do the gas burners on the hob roar with the same enthusiasm as your fridge burner?

If so, you may have a faulty regulator. What is the pressure rating of your regulator. I would suspect it to be 30Mb. If it is 37Mb, then it's probably not compatible with the appliances.

Do you have bottle-top regulators or a single bulkhead regulator ?

Perhaps, if the fridge is over 10 years old, you ought to get it serviced anyway.

mrpip50 - 2019-03-12 7:08 PM

Hi,

I have a Thetford N150 fridge/freezer in my 2008 Chausson Welcome 85 on a Fiat base.

When on gas operation (no problems with getting it to work) the burner has a roaring flame like a blowtorch. Is this normal? In previous fridges in other vans the fridge gas flame was a quiet blue like a candle flame. It has to cool a fridge and a freezer so maybe it needs to be this way. Any advice would be most welcome. I am wondering how long it will be before the burner burns out!

When operating from gas ‘old tech’ 3-way fridges had a pilot-light that was continuously lit. Such fridges were near-silent.

Gas operation of ’newer tech’ fridges does not involve a pilot-light, and the gas-burner runs only when cooling is required. These fridges are far from silent when running on gas and, when the gas-burner fires up, the noise it makes is like a small blow-lamp.

My Rapido has a Thetford N-3000-Series fridge/freezer and when the gas-burner is lit, the noise can be heard very clearly from outside the motorhome via the lower ventilation grille and also (though less obviously) from inside the motorhome itself.

Plainly - as has been advised above - there may be a problem that is causing your fridge’s gas-burner to ‘over-fuel’. It all depends on exactly what “...the burner has a roaring flame like a blowtorch” translates to in real life.

I suspect that your Thetford fridge is operating exactly as it should, but you’d be wise to seek advice from a motorhome/caravan dealer about this to put your mind at rest.

I had the same fridge in my 2009 motorhome and it was also very noisy but when I had it checked was told all was ok but I also think it would be best to have yours checked in case your noise is caused by a different reason.

They only had to take the lower vent cover off to confirm all was well with mine.

Thanks for all the replies. The flame is definitely blue. I have a bulkhead regulator and the hob burners all work properly. It seems from what you have said that it is operating normally. I will go ahead and get the fridge serviced.Thanks again for all your help.

Older fridges were silent on gas, it seems the newer fridges have a thermostatic gas burner which should cut in and out, so, i would check the burner does cut in and out when the fridge is down to temperature. Like a heater etc.

However, I once had a issue with an old swift in France whereby the burner or casing had moved slightly, i cant remember how decided to look at it, as we would have been on electric, but look at it I did and took the grilles off, it was burning at such a position because the casing had moved, that it would have caused a fire.

If you are unsure about anything like this, it is also difficult for us to give you a definitive answer, we can give pointers but ultimately you are best having a pro look at it and evaluate it, if its inconvenient and costs you an hours labour, its better than the thing burning down.

Archived