Fridge freezer temperature.

curlygriff

curlygriff - 2019-12-03 3:27 PM

Would any one know which takes the longest time to bring temperature of fridge freezer to the required level before starting a journey after laying idle for a few days, gas or electric or is there very little difference, just curious.

I assume you are referring to mains electricity, and not 12V, as you would need to have the engine running for the 12V supply to the fridge to operate.

Generally absorption fridges are more efficient on gas. But whether that increased efficiency reads through to reduced time to reach the set temperature I do not know. It seems possible that it might, but unless getting a 230V supply to the van is difficult, I would think it would generally be more convenient - even if a little slower. But I doubt there is a significant time difference between the two.

The fridge handbook should give some indication of how long the fridge would need to reach its set temperature - but at this time of year I doubt either would take very long! :-) Time will inevitably vary on the size of the fridge relative to the power of its cooling mechanism, but I've found around 12 hours generally sufficient.

Archived