Fridge power consumption

Deffheads

Deffheads - 2018-12-17 10:10 AM

Hi, We are soon moving to a camp site that has a limit of 4Kw a day on hookup...

Do you mean the supply has a limit of 4 kW (ie approx 16 Amps) OR do you mean you will be limited to 4 kilowatt HOURS per day?

Keith.

Deffheads, a 100watt bulb can be run for 24 hours for a total of 2.4kw hours. 100watts x 24 hours.

A mains battery charger will take about 200 watts so use about 4.8kwh, but obviously you wouldn't need it on all the time.

Probably only 2 hours a day with good batteries?

I think the average Fridge is about 120- 160 watts depending on size, but again should only be 'active' for about half that time?

Deffheads - 2018-12-17 10:10 AM

Hi, We are soon moving to a camp site that has a limit of 4Kw a day on hookup, what is the power usage of a RM7 series fridge freezer for a 24 hour period? Can I use it all day along with other appliances?

Kevin, two questions.

First, will your consumption actually be metered? I know this is quite common in Germany.

Second, what is the consequence of exceeding 4kWh? If it is only that you pay for your extra consumption at a published (reasonable!) rate ber kWh, why worry?

The obvious (but I'm afraid unhelpful) answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on which model fridge you have, as the larger ones use more electricity, on how often you open the fridge door, on how hot the weather is and, most of all, it depends on what other mains electrical appliances, of what power, you use (e.g. phone etc. chargers, TV, electric kettle, hairdryer, lighting, heater (the last two being 12V, but using 12V electricity simply means your on-board 12V battery charger will work for longer).

I'm afraid that is just a long way to saying your question is really one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions - which is why I asked the two questions above.

However, if the supply is properly metered (meter read before you plug in, and again when you depart), and the charge per kWh above 4kWh per day on site is reasonable, you will simply pay as you go, depending on what you actually consume, which seems to me fairly reasonable in principle, and straightforward.

A Dometic Manual for the RM-76xx range of fridge/freezers is here

http://web.adria.dk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Dometic-manual-RM7xxx.pdf

The “Technical data” section on Page 17 quotes an average electricity consumption per 24-hour period of 3.2kWh (measured at an average ambient temperature of 25°C)

I was once told by a motorcaravanner that, on campsites in Spain (where Deffheads currently is) it could work out cheaper to use LPG than the metered mains power supply.

In Calpe Mar, I believe it was 5 KW per day free. We never paid for extra electric in the summer heat . We used the fridge all the time, and boiled a 1000kw kettle for drinks etc.and used the electric hob for cooking sometimes!.Also used TV on mains. In the winter you may need to heat the water occasionally

I agree with this charging system, as some people abuse the free system, with electric cooker, microwaves , I have to say this mainly applied to caravan users, as I guess they had the extra weight available, for carry all this equipment!

PJay

Deffheads, if you want some kind of meter to tell you exactly how much you are using, over a 24 hour period, then maybe consider a £7 Wattmeter?

It installs in the battery feed cables to the Power controller and will tell you every Watt or milliamp you use. Two wires from the battery into the meter and then two wires to the Sargent, CBE, etc power controller box

Search ebay for "wattmeter" to find lots of different suppliers.

Archived