Fridge struggling to light on gas

steveandlisa

Hello,

Over the last couple of seasons i`ve experienced problems of getting the fridge to light on gas. Friday morning was no exception i went out to the mo/home to start the fridge up prior to going away for the weekend. Try as i might , it would`nt light, (see what i done there :-D ) Well, what with the fridge not lighting and the rain pouring down we decided to give it a miss and stay at home.

Today i decided enough was enough and i needed to get to the bottom of this f#@$*%g fridge problem. Now i`ve had the burner and jet off recently but stripped it down anyway, thermocouple is good as is the spark plug. So now i`ve removed the panel to gain access to the controls, disconnected the gas pipes and removed the gas valve. Now i blow through the ports to check for blockages, there seems to be some resistance and then something similar to a cigarette filter shoots out and air flows freely. Next i blow down the gas supply pipe and it seems to be completely blocked, so i attach my high pressure foot pump and "pop" out shoots another filter the same as the first one.

I`m thinking now that maybe these filters were blocked causing a restriction in the gas flow, so i reconnect everything leaving out the two filters. Hallelujah, the fridge ignited first time B-) so gas starvation must have been the problem all along.

P.S. This is in no way meant to encourage anyone to play around with gas utilities, if your not competent please leave to a professional ;-)

Steve

Which make and model of refrigerator does your 2012 Bailey motorhome have, please?

I’m guessing it’s a Dometic RM8550, RMS8550, RM8500 or RM8400 appliance, but a postive identification might be useful.

(There are online references to ‘filters’ for the RM8550 appliance, but the part is said to be obsolete and I can’t find any images of it.)

...interesting that you say you recovered two filters. The example diagram contained here:

https://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/ww/RM8550.pdf

rather implies the existence of a single one. Makes one wonder if the unit had two fitted (by mistake or repair) and this was causing the issue.

If the ones removed were not destroyed in the process, I might be inclined to try re-fitting a single one.

(Whatever, I would be inclined to try to source a replacement - it/they will have been there for a reason).

Archived