Frightening really

longtemps

Had my expensive annual habitation check done recently. It was not cheap!

On the fancy check off sheet the gas low system was duly checked off as “passed”. Got home and immediately detected leaking gas.

So, then had to have it checked out immediately with another dealer (local) who found loose fixings on the regulator and one of the supply leads.

What the hell! Who can you trust?

If the barbecue had been lit next to the leak up we would have gone!!!

What a sad rip off the motorhoming and caravan industry really is.

I would love to give the two fingered salute to the lot of ‘em, cut my losses and pack it in. The hassle drives me mad at times. Trouble is, like a junky or drunk, if I did I would bloody well miss it!!

I think the wise amongst us really know that after paying out on the habitation check after the guarantee period runs out is money wasted in many ways. Of course some folk haven't a clue how to do checks, and probably don't want to learn, however it's mainly common sense , and of course when you do your own you know it's been done.

Obviously gas and 240v electric work should be left to a professional, but good money can be saved on spending a couple of leisurely hours checking things out yourself in my humble opinion :-D

I am a gas engineer, You could test the gas one day & its ok , then it leaks the next , lots of different reasons that this can happen , although in your case it does sound like it could have been checked better

Please don’t pack it in because of stupid tradesman, always use National Caravan Council recommendation for workshops etc.and check they still members, get their membership number! If anything go wrong the NCC come down on them heavy. If it was me I would sue the bouncier in small claims!

Regards

I know how you feel, longtemps. Dealers and garages seem to delight in making motorhoming difficult. I've been poorer when leaving both and felt less dissatisfied with motorhoming as a past time. I would give up if my wife allowed me.

longtemps - 2019-05-03 11:10 PM

Got home and immediately detected leaking gas.

!

How many people drive around with their gas turned on, On another thread someone had a flash back while filling with gas they had their fridge turned on gas a naked flame on a fuel station fore court

Not quite the same as the op but similar as it involved gas.

Three years ago i had a brand new ch boiler fitted at home. I'd had a few estimates but the guy i chose gave me a fixed price which was pretty good. Not the cheapest but boiler make was better. He worked well even though he was a bit untidy with pipes, tooling etc all over the place. The manufacturers warranty was 2 years but it could be increased to 7 years with annual servicing done. Made sense.

However the following year try as hard as i might i simply could not get the engineer who had fitted it to come and service the damn thing so ended up sourcing another guy who turned out to be local. When he went through everything he asked who had done the job and told me he was isolating the supply as it was totally dangerous. In his words, i'd been "sitting on a time bomb". He told me he knew the ch engineer who had fitted it and his reputation was notorious among the trade.

He contacted Gas Safe to tell them what he'd found and also to check the original engineer was currently registered. They sent an Inspector out and i then had the unenviable task of contacting this chap to tell him his work had been condemned and he'd have to put it right. It took three inspections from Gas Safe before he got it right!

Quite why Gas Safe don't strike these types off i've no idea as a dangerously fitted ch boiler in a house is certainly a very serious fire hazard.

Kennyd - 2019-05-04 7:29 AM

I am a gas engineer, You could test the gas one day & its ok , then it leaks the next , lots of different reasons that this can happen......

Agree with Kennyd. Checking for gas leaks should be a daily event.....not a yearly event.

I have a Gaslow manual changeover system with pressure gauge. I can test my gas system in a matter of minutes using the gauge.

I travel with the gas on most of the time since 2001. My local Fire Brigade says it's not an issue providing I heed signs to switch off such as at fuel stations, tunnels etc. As it is, I've never travelled with the gas on when I know I will I will be stopping at a fuel station. Nor with my gas on at any other places where there will be restrictions.

Truma says about its crash sensor system , "Yes, gas cylinders may be connected while driving. They are then considered to be equipment and not hazardous materials (ADR exemption in accordance with sections 1.1.3.1 and 1.1.3.2 e). Gas cylinders that are not connected to the gas installation must be closed at all times and have protection caps.It can be used throughout Europe."

My local dealer serviced my van and correctly said my gas hose needed replacement. When I arrived home, I noticed they had not fitted the rupture proof hose required by Truma for its system. We had several exchanges by email which included them not accepting they should have replaced like with like [rupture proof hose] but ultimately resulting in them sending the correct hose. I was left questioning their competence.

Brock,

Travelling with the gas on is all very well when you are driving but there's always the chance that you become unwell and another person drives your M/H

Tunnels ... you could be diverted on the continent and face entering a tunnel ... would you stop and turn off the gas ... I doubt it !

Will

chas - 2019-05-04 7:17 AM

I think the wise amongst us really know that after paying out on the habitation check after the guarantee period runs out is money wasted in many ways. Of course some folk haven't a clue how to do checks, and probably don't want to learn, however it's mainly common sense , and of course when you do your own you know it's been done.

Obviously gas and 240v electric work should be left to a professional, but good money can be saved on spending a couple of leisurely hours checking things out yourself in my humble opinion :-D

I understand your comments, but it is necessary to remember that so long as the vehicle is under warranty the standard servicing has to be carried out and documented. If not then anything which may occur, and could cost a lot more may well be dismissed .

I begrudge spending the amounts required sometimes, but this could avoid a much more expensive bill if they choose not to cover it because the servicing is not done and documented..

Its matter of take your own judgement, I full understand, but cold be false economy.

Think you will find I covered the need to have the habitation checks done during the guarantee period.

One must also remember that the high prices charged for the service does not include any remedial work to put something right, something that any able bodied owner could probably do labour free. That work would be extra cost added on to the service charge, which could make the tasks very expensive.

Lets put it this way, if you have a couple of doors in your home that require painting, I am sure you would not call a decorating firm in, unless your completely hopeless at painting.

8-)

Will, nobody is likely to drive my motorhome. Only my wife is insured to drive the van but she won't. She does know how the gas system works and we carry the manuals. What you suggest is a possible scenario but I'm more than happy that it would be one we could cope with.

We haven't been abroad for years but we do pull over and turn off the gas if we decide we need fuel or to return home via the Mersey Tunnel. You have a low opinion of someone you don't know if you doubt I would not stop!

Archived