Front Cross Member on Ducato

DaveWH

Hi All.

After having read on this forum that the lower front crossmember on a Fiat Ducato has a tendency to rust I decided to take mine off and have a look. This is on a 2004 model Hymer B class.

It was not a bad job to do this and I even remembered to support the radiator that sits on it. Yes it was rusty and need a good wirebrushing, and a couple of coats of good quality paint. Apparently this cross member rusts from the top down and is ruined before you can see any damage. I also coated the inside of the member with wax oil hopefully this will lengthen its life All put back together with no bolts left over.

The crossmembeer is held on with three large bolts each side and the question I have to ask is

Does anybody know the newton metre setting to tighten these bolts up.// I have tried Fiat commercial but they were not very helpful?

Thank you in anticipation.

hi, i dont think there is a torque setting, they are sturdy bolts so just give em some welly, the member is only to support the radiater its not structual, thats what i did on mine, and one more thing drill a 4mm hole right in the middle to let the water out cos they rot from the inside

jonathan

Just, today, replaced mine. Van is 16 years old this month. Painted and waxoyled when we bought it. So it has saved expensive replacements. Yes, it is an easy job to do! Might need a 4lb hammer on the ring spanner, as I found.

I got an advisory at my MOT that mine was a bit rusty (and it was). As my van was due a service, I bought one off ebay and got the garage to fit it while it was in. Prior to handing it over, I gave it a few coats of paint to protect it.

When I picked the van up, the mechanic showed me the old one and it was in good nick apart from the rusted underside, which was just surface rust. :'(

I did not want to take any chances with it because my van has a 5 tonne MAM and it would have been very embarassing if I broke down and the tow truck moved off with only half of the cab section behind him. :D

Archived