Front screen glass crack.

Hans

What does it matter? If you have a broken / cracked w/s it should still be the same. I haven't had to replace the van screen yet but my car w/s just split from the bottom and I contact my insurance and they arranged replacement. W/s replacements still have to be declared when renewing insurance so no doubt the renewal price gets loaded accordingly.

As stevec176 correctly says, if you have windscreen / glass cover on your insurance then it makes no difference how the damage happened (impact damage, stress crack, or anything else) it'll still be covered on your policy.

It will have to be declared at renewal but it won't count as a claim so there's no impact on any no claims discount you may have, and at least with the main insurers there shouldn't normally be any impact on the renewal cost either.

I work in this industry so let me know if I can help further.

Kevin

Hans - 2020-05-19 8:07 PM How do you handle this whit your insurance? In case of no impact on the screen.

Still claimable but I'd wait until just before your MOT before replacing it Has been known to have one replaced and a short time after it happens again. So 2 excess payments instead of one

Assuming that Hans’s enquiry relates to his own vehicle, this is a Westfalia Kepler One model based on a Volkswagen T6. So obtaining and installing a replacement windscreen should present no real difficulties.

Hans lives in Belgium. As the Westfalia was new in 2018, it should not need a Belgian ‘MOT test’ for some while.

(I don’t know if Belgian motor insurance differs significantly from UK motor insurance where windscreen damage is concerned.)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-20 7:38 AM

Hans lives in Belgium. As the Westfalia was new in 2018, it should not need a Belgian ‘MOT test’ for some while.

He won't have to spend on replacement for sometime then will he

The RAC advises as follows:

Is it illegal to have a cracked windscreen?

Driving with a cracked windscreen can be considered a motoring offence. It could constitute use of a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition.

The Highway Code states that drivers should have a full view of the road ahead and glass should be maintained in a good condition. A cracked windscreen can obscure driver view - if a motorist is stopped, it could result in a fixed penalty of three points on their licence and a fine.

If you're driving with a cracked windscreen and you have an accident, you could be charged with a more serious driving offence. The accident could be your responsibility because you were driving with a damaged windscreen.

Hans’s previous forum postings suggest that Belgian motoring regulations are at least as stringent as the UK’s, so a windscreen crack that is in a driver’s line of vision is likely to be as illegal in Belgium as it is in the UK irrespective of a vehicle’s age.

This mid-2018 guidance summarises the issue pretty well

https://www.optic-kleer.co.uk/articles/article/car-insurance-and-windscreen-repair-what-you-need-to-know/

Just for the record, Comfort Insurance’s motorhome policy states

Glass

If you are only claiming for loss of or damage to the glass in your motorhome’s windscreen, sunroof or windows, or for any scratching of the bodywork arising solely from the breakage of glass, the excesses shown above in this section will not apply. You will, however, have to pay the first £75 of the cost of glass replacement. This excess for glass:

- overrides any other general excess that would otherwise apply to glass claims.

- will not apply when the glass is repaired rather than replaced

Cover for this section is unlimited provided the windscreen is replaced by Autoglass. A maximum limit of £3000 in any one glass claim applies to all other windscreen replacement providers.

Thank you all for your clear comments. My insurance covers this. But i have to pay 250 euro franchise if not repaired by their selected repairers. Autoglas is the keyword. That is not free Eu market practice. Taking the numbers per year into account.Monique who is driving is not aware of any impact. I think it is a stress crack sitting in the bottom corner right. I cleaned in hot weather 24 deg c whit cold water. No problem said car glass market leader in Belgium. Maybe at 40 deg c whit cold spray water possible. No expert report possible. Vw does not pay. !.5 years old. If it was stress placed VW said the crack should came much earlier. Story goes on. At present they replace.

Archived