Fuel Filter

Ninian

Hi, I want to change the above on my van but I've found two different types. UFI. 77363657 OR 71773197. they appear to be the same but is there a difference. Has anybody changed theirs themselves and which type did you use. The above codes are for the metal canister type unit. My van has the canister type fitted to it. Thanks.

Haven't changed one myself, (mine's a replaceable cartridge) but checking, for instance on the Coastal Motorhomes site, indicates that the part numbers are interchangeable:

e.g. for UFI

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-fuel-filter-1606384980-77363657.html

and Fiat o.e.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fits-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-fuel-filter-1606384980-2012-on-oe.html

(both links show both quoted part numbers, and others, under the product information/OE number

This German link describes how to replace the fuel filter canister of Ducato Euro 5 vehicles.

https://www.ducatoschrauber.de/kraftstofffilter-wechseln-ducato-typ-250/

(GOOGLE Translate does a pretty good job of converting the German text into English and I’ve copied the translated text further down in this posting. I’m not going to copy the photos.)

I’ve not carried out a fuel filter change on my 2015 Euro 5 Ducato, but replacement should be straightforward and quick (30 minutes is suggested on the link). The German guidance relates to LHD Ducatos (my Rapido is LHD) and access to the filter on RHD equivalents MAY be trickier.

It’s recommended on the link that, before fitting the new filter, the filter should be filled with fuel - "To fill, you can simply take a small funnel and then pour some fuel into the inlet /return. You shouldn't fill the filter through the sensor side. The third opening is intended for venting or draining condensation water”. I don’t know how important this is, but filling would be via either of the two ’stubs' on the filter's top.

..........................................................................................................................

TRANSLATED TEXT

Installation time: approx. 30 minutes

Tools used:

• small screwdriver

• 10 mm open-ended spanner / nut

We made the exchange on our beloved Ducato X250, where the filter is a bit hidden. So it wasn't that easy with the pictures, but I think we managed to do it well.

Remove the fuel filter

The filter is located on the driver's side (That’s the UK NEARSIDE) quite far back in the engine compartment, as you can see in the picture.

This is fastened in a holder. This is fastened with a hexagon screw that you have to loosen with the 10 mm socket / open-end wrench.

This makes it easy to remove the front part of the bracket.

Remove the supply and return lines

On top of the fuel filter there are two fuel lines for the supply and return of the fuel that you have to remove. The best way to do this is to use a small screwdriver and press in the fastenings on the sides so that the cables can be pulled out.

To make it a little easier, we took a photo of the bracket when it was removed. There you can see where the front bracket is attached.

Take out the fuel filter

A sensor that measures the amount of water in the fuel is attached to the lower end of the filter. If this is too high, an error message is displayed. A cable is attached to this sensor, which must be removed beforehand so that the filter can be completely removed.

Take out the fuel sensor

A sensor that measures the amount of water in the fuel is attached to the lower end of the filter. If this is too high, an error message is displayed. A cable is attached to this sensor, which must be removed beforehand so that the filter can be completely removed.

A new seal is usually included with the new filter. We recommend that you also replace the seal before changing it. This is usually located on a small dummy.

Insert a new fuel filter

You have now prepared almost everything so that the new filter can be used without any problems.

We recommend, however, that you fill the fuel filter with some fuel beforehand in order to prevent problems when starting the engine.

As soon as you have filled the filter with some fuel, you can screw the sensor onto the filter.

Now simply reattach the cable to the sensor and the fuel lines and fix the filter back in its holder.

We hope you enjoy screwing!

Archived