Fuel Surcharge

David

Hi Guys, Last week looking for Dover Calais crossings. Got a quote from Seafrance for £90. Being PO stockholders thought give them a try, quote on website as ordinary fare £85 ok being stockholders lets try that way phoned them £160 just a min we are stockholders oh £100. Says I we got a £90 quote ahh yes theres a fuel surcharge. Get lost. Last night booked Seafrance £70 the exact sailings we wanted. It seems PO are the only ones with a fuel surcharge or is it trying to impress the Stock market in light of Takeover. David

We've paid for one trip with Seafrance at £70 and one at £85 (would have been £70 if we went back a day earlier, but what's £15 for an extra day over 7 weeks) It's taking the dogs that's not helping. £25 each and with 2 it ends up almost doubling the fare. I'd still rather pay it and take them with us though, especially as it is a lot cheaper than putting them into kennels and much more fun and benefical to all.

Guest Pat Price
Norma - I agree with you. The bit that really anoys me is the charge for dogs. I understand that the PETS scheme needs financing to allow us to re-enter the country with our dogs but charging for dogs when they give no service for them is really irritating. Campsites too. Why do we always fall for it? Shall we start to object to these charges?

Pat, We object to paying for dogs on camp-sites, by not using them. When they say that there is a charge for dogs, we ask what they are providing for the dog, and then say no thanks and leave. Our theory is that they dont want dogs but by saying so is discrimination, so they put a charge on that way hoping people wont stay. David. PS I see today BP have made another BIG FAT PROFIT.

Wouldn't dream of going on holiday without our dogs, it just wouldn't be the same. Also, it's cheaper than putting them in kennels, especially 3! Agree about the dog charge on campsites. We won't stay on campsites where they charge for dogs unless it's a minimal charge and it's the only one for miles! As for ferries, don't forget that there's the cost of the checks at the port to pay for, agree it is a bit steep but I'd rather pay that and be able to take the pooches than have to leave them at home. The cost of pets does vary, though, Norfolk line are the cheapest at £20.00, others are anywhere up to £30.00.

The site we were on for two weeks in Almeria states that there is a charge for dogs. As we really like it there we accepted it with resignation. When we came to pay on leaving, however, not only did we qualify for a 20% discount for a two week stay but they waived the charge for the two dogs! We did wonder if it was because our dogs are very quiet and well behaved. We always kept them tied up or on leads on site. One or two dogs were exceptionally noisy and one owner allowed his to run free and toilet where it wanted. This could be the kind of thing that they causes the site owners to charge.

Archived