Fuel filter (again)

Billggski

Just off up the M6, noticed the fuel gauge heading south! Smell of diesel?

Pulled in at Keele and, oh yes! Fuel pouring from the filter housing. Third time in five years, so I carry a spare.

It's a pain to get at and really messy, so as I wasn't far from a mate's garage, off I toddled and he swapped it in ten minutes for a tenner. Phew!

Using the replacement as a guide to the piping was really useful, two push collars for the main pipes were a pig to release, but once out they just push in, as does the return pipe and the plug. And the whole housing is just slotted in. No bolts, no screws, no tools but loads of diesel and swearing.

New housing and filter are down to £45 pounds on fleabay now, so another is on its way!

Interestingly I've just read Nick Fishers article in Decembers MMM and he says even with genuine Fiat filters he got a 25% failure rate when only changing the filter so he only ever replaced the entire unit.

Bill,

How long ago was your filter last changed and was the entire unit replaced or just the element within it?

I have always changed the whole unit and only use Fiat parts. But buy from the manufacturer rather than Fiat. The unit and packaging are identical.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272212935393

Changing just the filter actually takes longer and needs a special tool to torque the cap, and they regularly leak through the seal after a service.

Last done two years ago. Lots of threads about it on this site, I believe Fiat have now changed the design, but the original is used on many other vehicles.

Hy Billggigski.

Strange how things happen eh? Our owned from new 2009 (Nov.08 Mfgt) E695 Bessacarr started to leak back in 2017 as we fired up to drive of the ferry in Caen (at 22.20 hrs) - Day after, found the Citroen garage in Cabourg who supplied and fitted a 'genuine Citroen' (UFi 55114800 box with Citroen numbers !) replacement at a staggeringly un-ecomomical 325 Euro's !!!! Following Forum read's,I decided to adopt the "carry a spare" recommendation. So, yesterday afternoon, via 'fleebay' I ordered a Genuine OE fit 'UFi Pt. No. 5514800' from 'Coastal Motorhomes Ltd.' for £74 (sorry I didn't want to risk one of the £45 Chinese copy) this arrived 13.45 hrs Today - how's that for brill service eh? And being a genuine UFi, it's supplied in its polystyrene protected box so twill stand up to being carried around 'unused' in our MH for the next 10 yrs !! (hopefully ??).. Thanks for the insight on fitting the replacement, sounds like a on-site job with the tools carried if it fails again eh? - Not a surprise really, the French Garage wouldn't allow me into their workshop to view their almost 2 hrs fitting ?

Dave Adams, Leyland, Lancs.

Billggski - 2019-12-19 4:46 PM

...I believe Fiat have now changed the design, but the original is used on many other vehicles.

When Ducatos with Euro 5 powerplants began to roll off the Fiat factory-line in mid-2011, it became evident that the plastic-bodied fuel-filter (with replaceable filter element) had been dropped and been replaced by a disposable metal canister filter. However, Euro 5 Peugeot Boxers and Citroen Relays continued to be fitted with a plastic-bodied fuel-filter.

Euro 6 Ducatos also have a metal fuel-filter, but this is completely different to the filter used on Euro 5 Ducatos and has a replaceable filter element.

This January 2019 forum thread went into more detail.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-fuel-filter-leak/51057/

Photos of the fuel-filter used on Euro 6 Ducatos are in this advert for a secondhand unit.

https://srotas24.co.uk/car-parts/fuel-system/fuel-filter-housings/ducato-iii-2017-euro-6-fuel-filter-15365369572.html

I dread to think what the list-price might be for a brand-new complete filter unit bought from a Fiat agency, but the filter insert can be obtained relatively cheaply. This advert is for a Purflux-branded insert, but other makes are available.

https://www.winparts.co.uk/filters-fluids/filters/fuel-filters/c467/fuel-filter-purflux/p1141406.html

Hi all.

Just to add that the plastic filters used on Fiat Euro 3 and 4 vehicles were made by UFi and as such any branded UFi are exact replacements for the Fiat item. I would not use any other make. Since UFi are not represented in the UK any more for spare parts; the best way to find them is on Ebay.

The Fiat Euro 6 filter is a completely different affair to the Euro 5 because it is an aluminium housing with a lid that is bolted down. The replacement of the element should be a more reliable process than before and this is just as well because last time i looked the heated housing was over £400.

N

euroserv - 2019-12-20 11:46 A

The Fiat Euro 6 filter is a completely different affair to the Euro 5 because it is an aluminium housing with a lid that is bolted down. The replacement of the element should be a more reliable process than before and this is just as well because last time i looked the heated housing was over £400.

N

Just as a matter of interest why do they now heat the housing. I assume previously they did not?

In his posting of 29 January 2019 1:54 PM here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-fuel-filter-leak/51057/

Nick Fisher said "The Euro6 Fiat and PSA vehicles have a heated fuel filter assembly”

The attached drawing is of the latest filter unit.

(I’m not sure if any of the earlier filter units were ‘heatable’ - Nick will be able to say.)

Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Citroen-Relay-Heated-Fuel-_1.jpg.11af024a05f55bf45fb2cfe7d8f0f9b6.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

here is a youtube video of changing the Euro 6 Boxer fuel filter . if like me you are curious of how to remove the fuel lines and electrical plug

will be doing mine soon having sourced the part from the helpful Coastal Motorhomes, who seem still to be the only supplier, Peugeot advises using blanking tools to plug the removed fuel lines and the filter housing pipes, so would be grateful if anyone knows the diameter of those pipes. I guess a taper such as an airbed plug would do the trick?

no need to fill apparently, just wait till the scavenge pump stops, having switched on the ignition, and of course, check for leaks

"slowdriver, Just as a matter of interest why do they now heat the housing. I assume previously they did not?"

Heating the fuel filter body helps preventing paraffin crystals forming in the fuel, which agglomerate and can block the fine pores of the fuel filter. Heating lowers the filterability temperature , ensuring good flow and reliable cold starting, even at low temperatures

Archived