Full Time Motorhome living!

Guest Jules

Guest Jules
Hello all, Has anyone on the forum lived in their motorhome full time or done a few months touring in one? The reason for my question is; once we sell our house we were going to rent a house while we look for a new one. Tonight I got the idea that maybe we could live in a motorhome while we looked! How easy is this to do? We both love camping and have endured extended camp trips until sleeping bags got damp Yak! But camping can become very hard work in poor/wet/cold weather.Much as we love it sense of humour failure sets in after three weeks of rain/cloud/fog and wind. Can motorhome living become hard work even with the luxury of heat and light and a cooker? If any of you have lived in a motorhome what kind of size is the absolute minimum. Last question I promise... Being of no fixed abode as it were.... does this affect how you stand in law? house buying etc. Many thanks Jules

Guest Don Madge
Hello Jules, You might like to try the following sites where you should get a reply as there are quite a few full timers on the Living & List. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/motorhome-list/ http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/ http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/motorhome-living/ Best of luck. Don

Guest Will Redfearn Wirral Motorhome Club
Also you could try www.motorhomefacts.com many of their members are fulltimers. One couple feature in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago. You can read the article on Times online. The aerticle featured in the'Doors'feature. Their names are ben and lizzie.

Guest Jules
Thanks for the mails. I looked on the forum search facility at lots of Q&A on this and it seems hard from the insurance point of view. It would seem DVLC/A whatever! want an address, I had not even thought of banks and other financial stuff! I will look at these websites and speak to others, it is a life I would love as I'm not a person who puts roots down, full time motorhome living and moving on once fed up would really suit me. Jules

Guest rob hudson
Hi Jules, spent 6 months last summer touring round europe. Can not recommend it strongly enough. Never even stepped inside a motorhome let alone sleep in one for such a period of time! We rented our property out, packed the van (hymer B694, on sale now at www.freewebs.com/hymerb694) and set of to holland with a one way ticket. From there on it was stick a pin in the map time! As they say, 'if there's no plan, how can it go wrong!'. The most liberating 6 months of my life. We did encounter a few problems, both large and small, but they add to the experience. All i can say is we're planning the next 'tour' as i type.

Guest jeanie
hi rob we too jumped in at the deep-end bought a hymer694g and spent 3 months in spain/france. wondered why you are selling your van? we are hoping to long-time next year but felt that the hymer may not be the right van for this and are looking at 28/29 ft american rv's ( any longer and it will not fit on our drive and may be too big for siting etc.)as they seem to have the edge for comfort ; sofa and easier access to bed. pro's and con's with this idea !! do you have another van in mind? did you rent your home to relations/friends or a stranger? any problems with your solution? who did you go with for insurance ? personal and vehicle. any other comments appreciated kind regards jeanie

Guest Rob Hudson
Hi Jeanie, One simple reason for sale of the 694, size! Although it was an amazing vehicle for 6 months actual living in, we found the size rather rescricting. Some of the places we visited were very rural and hills became a problem, especially in Portugal. Also due to the lack of experience we tended to take everything plus a spare kitchen sink! But after 6 nonths you realise what you can live without etc and thus would only need a smaller van. Since returning we have had her laid up over winter and took her out for her first run yesterday. The memories come flooding back and the doubt of selling starts to get stronger! We are looking for possibly a S555 or B564. But until we start looking around, not got our sights set on anything firmly. We rented our property out to friends which was simply to pay the mortgage. We did try local agencies but they charge too much i believe, for the little service they provide. We also have 2 cats which needed looking after, so for friends to stay in our house mean't the cats could stay as well. Beleive me, we didn't do it the easy way! lol. Insurance company was fine about house. Paid for buildings insurance only, and they didn't charge extra due to it being rented. All they wanted to know was possible return date. And as long as that was within 7 years everything was ok! Banks can be funny things. Go overdrawn for a day and you get £25 letters; rent your house on there mortgage and you can disappear for 6 years. All vehicle insurance was through Caravan club. Recommend them highly. We had a complete cluth change in France, and without them we would of been lost. Our french is ok, but not mechanical! Caravan club translated for us over the phone whilst at the garages etc etc. They also paid up for the part on our return although it is not covered in the insurance. Top people. We have again insured with them this year. I agree with you that RV's have the comfort etc but you tend to lose the freedom with a large vehicle. Many a time we had to watch from a far as the smaller vans drove down to a nice secluded beach in Cadiz. Sometimes you have to give up those little luxuries for something special! I personally would go smaller. it also means you spend more time outside. Too easy to sit in and watch the world go by, rather than being in it. Hope this helps, Rob

Archived