GP1 - Swift Freestyle control-panel?

Derek Uzzell

gp1

Is your Swift motorhome’s control-panel (‘console’) as shown on the attached drawing?

If it is, I can probably explain its usage in simple terms.

Obviously, if your motorhome’s control-panel is not a KT92GB, there would be no point me spending time and effort...

589419028_KT92GBcontrolpanel.thumb.jpg.05a244415c7e5705a2c30f78a28ef086.jpg

There is a version of the KT92 control-panel that has three switches on the right-hand side rather than just the two shown on the drawing I provided. That panel is referred to as a KT92GM and the extra switch relates to some sort of ‘keyfob’ control.

The KT92GB and KT92GM control-panels are described in pre-2004 Swift motorhome Owner Handbooks and you can find that information on Pages 31, 32 and 33 of the 2002 Owner Handbook on the following link

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/034/original/1044827_MH_Owners_Hbook_2002.pdf?1472743484

Page 33 of that handbook has a section "REMOTE CONTROL KEYFOB USER INSTRUCTIONS” that should apply if your Swift has the KT92GM ‘3 switches’ panel.

The description is reasonably clear provided that you understand that the “CAB battery” is your Fiat Ducato’s starter-battery and that the “MOTORHOME AUXILIARY BATTERY” is the battery that Swift would have installed when converting the Ducato chassis into a motorhome. The "MOTORHOME AUXILIARY BATTERY” is often referred to by motorcaravanners as the ‘leisure battery’ or 'habitation battery’.

See how you get on - if you follow the instructions and experiment, you should be able to see how the panel(s) work.

(Whichever of the two KT92 control-panels your Swift has, the 3-position switch on the far left should normally be moved to the ‘down' position. The central position is OFF, so things like the water-pump and reading lights won’t function if the switch is in the OFF position. Moving the switch to the ‘up’ position means that 12V power will be supplied from the Ducato’s starter-battery - best to avoid using this feature as it risks flattening the starter-battery.)

Wow that is really informative thankyou so much. Just been talking on forum about an immobiliser fob thingand someone said they used to have a keypad in cab to control it. So this is maybe where you can switch the immobiliser on and off? Really gratefull thanks. So the cab immobiliser is fiat and the habitation immobiliser is swift. What happens if someone trys to break into habitation area is there an alarm?

12v Isolation Switch

1. Select 'Keyfob' on the 'KEYFOB or

MANUAL' 2 position power switch.

This will effectively isolate all 12v power

to D.C. circuits once the 'II' button on the

keyfob is pressed (see keyfob

instruction).

Dont really understand this.

What is an isolation switch and dc power?

I have attached files showing the 2002 Swift motorhome Owners Handbook information relating to the KT92 control-panels.

The key question is whether your Swift Freestyle has

- a KT92GB panel (with 2 switches on its right half - one for the water-pump and the other for an awning-light)

OR

- a KT92GM panel (with 3 switches on its right half - one for the water-pump, one to select ‘keyfob’ or ‘manual’ operation for the 12V power-supply, and one to select ‘keyfob’ or ‘manual’ operation for an awning-light).

If your Swift has the KT92GB panel (2 switches on right half) then you can forget the ‘keyfob’ feature as far as the control-panel is concerned.

If your Swift has the KT92GM panel (3 switches on right half) then it should be possible to use a keyfob device to remotely turn the power-supply to the motorhome’s 12V habitation equipment (water-pump, reading-lights, etc.) On or Off. Using the same ‘keyfob’ device it should be possible to remotely turn an awning-light On and Off.

I don’t know what the keyfob designed to be used with a KT92GM control-panel would look like, but (presumably) as it is intendede to remotely turn a 12V power-supply and an awning-light On or Off, there will be an indication on the keyfob as to which button does what.

(If the 3-position switch on the far-left of the control-panel is set to its central OFF position, no 12V ‘habitation’ equipment (reading-lights, water-pump) will function. The fact that some of your Swift’s interior lights work and some do not will not be related to the 3-position switch - besides which, the person who sold you the motorhome warned you that there was a fault with the lights...)

page31.thumb.jpg.289f56881ed1ef6534e4cdf37acd4f44.jpg

page321.thumb.jpg.e6bb439db03c6baf752199802d040044.jpg

page322.thumb.jpg.0d5e42bde8b3e9328921d24baa7b3470.jpg

page331.thumb.jpg.c3b5bf67db429f6d3677aff546fd2f23.jpg

page332.thumb.jpg.721967c5999046b86ec99b6520b123b8.jpg

Wow yes that seems to have produced the most likely use of the switch and the key fob. Thats amazing i will give them a go next time im at the van. It even sounds usefull as a feature but not sure why until i get to use it. Thankyou what an amazing bit of detective work. And for free ! I definately owe you a pint. Also i doubt i would meet anyone on site who could have told me this. Cheers!

Yes your probably right about the lights. Seperate circuit maybe. At least when i go to the habitation check i can relate alot of this stuff to the people there just so they have a better understanding. I suppose being able to turn the awning light on remotely is quite usefull but not sure about switching on the waterpump remotely. I guess its just a by product of activating the 12 volt system; everything 12 volt gets current made available to it. Even if only the awning light appears to have some beneficial uses. Cheers thanks!

So theoretically (without testing it) if i was in the middle of nowhere and went out for the day i would switch off 12 volt system remotely to save power. Come back in the dark. Switch on 12 volt system from a distance remotely. Find way to van. Not sure if the step is run on 12 volt or not. Have to find out.. dont think it is. Would this be the situation where this feature was intended? Guess the remote has something to do with isolating the 12 volt system. I can understand why gas has an isolation switch / tap. Mainly for safetly. But dont really understand why electric system would have it unless to preserve electric?

I’m not aware that the ability to remotely turn off a motorhome or caravan’s 12V power-supply or lighting has been offered by any equipment manufacturer other than Plug-In Systems. The following link is to a 2002 Owner’s Handbook for Swift caravans and Page 38 has drawings of six different control-panels that were made by Plug-In Systems.

https://bessacarr-owners-club.org/info-centre/manuals/caravan/1048547-Caravan-Owners-Hbook-2003.pdf

The REMOTE CONTROL INSTRUCTIONS advice on Page 40 says

"Some models are equipped with a remote control unit which allows the user to isolate the caravan outputs from the battery, using button II, whilst still maintaining the charging of the battery (when connected to a mains supply). It can also switch on the entry light inside the caravan, using button I.

1. Button I controls the first light inside the caravan.

2. Button II controls the isolation of the 12V systems.

Overriding the remote control is possible by using the two switches located on the control panel above the door. These switches should be left in the OFF position when using the remote control during normal operations.”

It’s just unnecessary additional complexity as far as I’m concerned - another thing to go wrong and another remote-control unit to mislay. I don’t think Plug-In Systems still trades, though some spares and advice can (apparently) be obtained from here

http://www.expluginsteve.co.uk/page4.htm

From the wiring-diagram for a 2004 Swift “Sundance” model, it seems that a slide-out Omnistep was fitted. This was electrically-operated and powered from the motorhome’s 12V leisure-battery.

This is interesting. Ive just remembered that there are two of those motion sensor thingys in the cab either side up by the top of the windscreen. This might mean that it is an alarm for the interior of the van? The descriptions you sent me of the caravan fob are i think the key to understanding it. I think weve got there. Thankyou

K29gm is mine (3 button one) and this is the description that should have been in my handbook but wasnt. It was in a caravan handbook instead. No wonder i couldnt find it. That is amazing this is the information i need. Brilliant. You have done so well to find this in a bessacar caravan manual. Infact i think theres alot of info in here that might be interesting / relevant. Thankyou so much it was definately worth joining the forum!

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-20 1:26 PM

I’m not aware that the ability to remotely turn off a motorhome or caravan’s 12V power-supply or lighting has been offered by any equipment manufacturer other than Plug-In Systems.

Derek,

Sargent used to offer a remote control for the systems installed by AT but I cannot find them on their website any longer.

We have one fitted to our AT and use it fairly regularly so we can turn on the awning light and interior lights when we return in the dark.

It is a simple two button remote for Power and Awning light. Whatever you had switched on before turning the power off comes back on when you turn it back on so you have to remember to leave lights turned on ready.

Keith

I notice that the keyfob remote-control is mentioned in Sargent’s User Instructions for their AC50/AC75 control panels. (I think the attached photo is of the keyfob.)

Interesting that Plug-In Systems and Sargent were both offering this capability in the early-2000s. Perhaps there was cooperation at the time between the two companies.

239851380_Sargentremotekeyfob.jpg.9d05f6135f74c856e0158f50b5212612.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-20 9:31 PM

I notice that the keyfob remote-control is mentioned in Sargent’s User Instructions for their AC50/AC75 control panels. (I think the attached photo is of the keyfob.)

Interesting that Plug-In Systems and Sargent were both offering this capability in the early-2000s. Perhaps there was cooperation at the time between the two companies.

Yes, that is the remote we have. The receiver is a small black box plugged into the back of the control panel over the door.

Keith

Keithl - 2018-06-20 6:39 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-20 1:26 PM

I’m not aware that the ability to remotely turn off a motorhome or caravan’s 12V power-supply or lighting has been offered by any equipment manufacturer other than Plug-In Systems.

Derek,

Sargent used to offer a remote control for the systems installed by AT but I cannot find them on their website any longer.

We have one fitted to our AT and use it fairly regularly so we can turn on the awning light and interior lights when we return in the dark.

It is a simple two button remote for Power and Awning light. Whatever you had switched on before turning the power off comes back on when you turn it back on so you have to remember to leave lights turned on ready.

Keith

The fob for the "Laser Alarm" which is original equipment on our 2006 PVC, has a third button which switches the cab light on for about 10 seconds.

Alan

Hi yes just wondering what that transformer box in the cupboard of the motorhome is. Think you sent me a link to some boxes which looked similar. My vague understanding is that it is a power source which transforms 12 volt from liesure battery into 240 volt. But i cant see any switches or controls on it. My fob is grey and round possibly rubbery.. Quite small and has two unnamed buttons. One bigger than the other. On the subject of transformer ill re read the manual but if there is anything you can think of adding to my understanding that would be good. Im taking a guess and thinking if i switch to aux battery select and plugged a telly into the 240 socket the transformer would supply 240 volts untill the liesure battery was flat. But it would be automatic with no switches to actually turn on or off power to the socket. Cheers.

p.s. there are no results for 'motion sensors' when i search forums on here.

You really REALLY should obtain John Wickersham’s “The Motorcaravan Manual” as soon as possible, as the question you’ve just asked suggests that you have virtually no understanding of the technical side of motorhome electrics. :-( :-( :-(

I assume you are referring to the Plug-In Systems CTTH transformer/charger unit shown in the attached photo.

This unit should be described in the Swift Motorhome Owner’s Manual that you have and the information is on Page 30 of this link

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/035/original/1048640_MH_Owners_Hbook_2003.pdf?1472743485

The transformer/charger unit does nothing until a motorhome is connected to a ‘live’ 230V power-supply (eg. is connected to a 230V electricity ‘hook-up’ (EHU) point at a campsite).

When 230V AC is provided to the transformer/charger unit, the unit transforms the 230V AC to 12V DC that is then used to power a motorhome’s habitation equipment (water-pump, reading-lights, etc.). This capability allows operation of a motorhome’s habitation equipment without the vehicle needing to have a leisure-battery. (Although a leisure-battery is standard motorhome equipment nowadays, 20 years ago a leisure-battery was often an optional extra for UK-built motorhomes.) If a motorhome DOES have a leisure-battery (presumably your Swift has one) when the motorhome is connected to an EHU the transformer/charger unit can be used to charge that leisure-battery.

The transformer/charger unit converts 230V AC to 12V DC - NOT vice versa. To convert 12V DC to 230V AC (using the leisure-battery as the power-source) you’d need a different piece of equipment referred to as an ‘inverter’.

Whatever you do with the switches on your Swift’s control-panel, your actions will not result in 230V power being available at the 230V sockets inside your Swift. For those sockets to become ‘live’ (so that you could run a 230V television from one of the sockets) you’d first need to connect your motorhome to a 230V power-supply (eg. to a campsite EHU). Once you’ve done that (and assuming the EHU itself is ‘live’!) 230V power should automatically become available at your Swift’s 230V sockets.

There are several earlier forum references to “motion sensors” within discussions about alarm systems (Did you set the Date Limit to “All posts” before Searching?) but these may well not help you

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=motion+sensor&author=&days=&Submit=Search

As your Swift has two motion sensors at the top of the windscreen, it’s reasonable to assume that it has (or had) some sort of interior alarm system, and such alarms are commonly operated by a ‘keyfob’ remote control.

I’ve no idea if Swift Freestyle models were fitted with an alarm as standard, and retro-fitted motorhome alarm systems come in a wide variety of flavours. Can’t you talk to the chap who sold you the motorhome and ask about the motion sensors, or discuss this when the vehicle has a habitation check?

1252587387_CTTHtransformerchargerunit.jpg.7cc6da5bd77f124e81f0bac264afd125.jpg

Yes really sorry you have made such an amazing effort to address my queries considering you probably have a 1000 and 1 other things to do. Tasks like this are what is stopping you from getting any peace at all !

But miraculously you have explained it like no manual or you tube channel could. I now have that fundamental knowledge in my head and will take it to my grave! Which is why learning from someone who knows and who is addressing you in person is a very special type of learning. infact i cant believe i hadnt picked up on this before as i have searched the manual and youtube for this info many times. Also as someone who has tried to learn 3d art from books i am familiar with the feeling that comes from not understanding things that the author thought i would. Informaton not intended for a particular user is almost as bad as no information. Often too easy too hard too technical to american and the plethora of different products over many many years. Its like using the stock markets the principles are probably simple but the actual thing is like a wall of complicatedness. Yes would like to get the book but dont want to spend money on things i dont absolutely need. I have to buy habitation check hosepipe and secial cap for hosepipe from liesure direct. Plus camping pitches and storage. Insurance. These things are all expensive. I have learnt so much in the 3 days ive been on this forum its been amazing. Ive never joined a forum before but will reccomend

Yes i think that is a similar unit. But that has a switch and couldnt really locate a switch on mine. When it says its a transformer / charger unit... ok i wont ask. Anyway the man who sold it to me briefly said thats the inverter as he opened the cupboard door and closed it again. Yes i didnt check the correct field in the search. Cheers.

Inverters and battery-chargers can look similar, so if your motothome’s vendor told you that the thing in the cupboard was an inverter, it might well be!

There’s picture of the transformer/charger unit in the 2003 and 2004 Swift motorhome handbooks, so (provided that your motorhome still has the original unit) you should be able to decide fairly easily what the thing in the cupboard is.

Archived