Garmin Camper 770

ChrisCM

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you can help or have any ideas about this.

My Garmin Camper 770 has had a sex change! Until a few hours ago she had a female voice, now it’s a man! It happened after I tried to increase the volume of the warning beeps for exceeding the speed limit, don’t know what I could have done! Searching through the settings menus there doesn’t appear to be any way of changing the voice, it’s not mentioned in the manual either.

My old TomTom had several easily accessible voices installed as standard. I believe you can obtain different voices for the Garmin, but how to install them?

Has anyone else got one of these? Have you changed the voice?

Btw, just done software update and he’s still there!

Thanks,

Chris

We have an Avtex One, badge-engineered version of the Garmin, and I agree it’s not intuitive. It took me a while to change voices - which I did because the female computer-generated voice makes such a pig’s ear of trying to pronounce French or Spanish road names! So turning to the alternative female voice avoids confusion.

The Garmin Camper 770 Manual advises as follows:

Language and Keyboard Settings

To open the Language and Keyboard settings, from the main menu, select Settings > Language & Keyboard.

Voice Language

Sets the language for voice prompts.

Text Language

Sets all on-screen text to the selected language.

NOTE: Changing the text language does not change the language of user-entered data or map data, such as street names.

Keyboard Language

Enables keyboard languages.

That procedure works for my Garmin Nuvi 2559LM sat-nav (I’ve just checked) and you then pick from a limited number of ‘voices’ relating to the language you want the voice-prompts to be in. For “British English” my sat-nav offers James, Kate or Serena, but only Serena will provide Garmin “Real Directions” prompts.

After the “Settings” symbol on the main-menu screen has been touched and the “All Settings” list appears, it is necessary (at least on my Garmin sat-nav) to touch the large ‘down-arrow’ symbol on the left of the screen to scroll down to the “Languages and Keyboard” settings option. Touching that option will reveal the current language setting for Voice, Text and Keyboard, and touching the current “Voice Language” setting will allow that setting to be changed.

It used to be possible to ‘officially’ download additional voices to a Garmin sat-nav via the Voices facility on the Garmin website, but I think that capability has been discontinued. There may well be a ‘hack’ to add additionsal voices to recent Garmin devices, but that’s for the geeks.

Thanks Guys,

Didn’t realise the Languages setting contained the voices ??, the lovely Serena is now back on the job!

I did wonder why the male voice didn’t speak as much, now I know!

I still find the warning beeps a bit quiet even at full volume, I wonder if it’s my hearing!

Thanks again - this is a great forum!

Chris

Archived