You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Garmin Camper
AuthorMessage
usermichele
Posted: 10 September 2018 6:29 PM
Subject: Garmin Camper

Our Garmin Camper regularly drops the satellite only in France ?. Its never lost it in England . We are in the market for a new one . WE have been towing our Caravan this year and the in car Sat Nav never lost signal .
Its not over heating and its done it since new. Kept threatening the thing and then it works again.

Can anyone recommend a M/H stand alone unit with more success than this current one ?.

Thanks in advance
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 10 September 2018 8:25 PM
Subject: RE: Garmin Camper

How old is your Garmin Camper sat-nav?

My current non-Camper Garmin is about 3 years old and doesn’t lose satellite signals (neither in France nor in the UK) but my previous Garmin - probably over 10 years old - would lose signals every now and again.
usermichele
Posted: 11 September 2018 8:52 AM

Hi Derek,
Hope you are well.

I blame him . Its always done it and instantly I said send it back typically he never did . Moans shouts at it ,its let us down a lot . My worry is it packs up right in the middle of driving and hes not looking at the road so it panics me . Its roughly around 2 years old now . Not really been used as obviously we only use in the motor home . He wants another one and Im saying ask everyone else what they use to see if there is better .

Its all updated and still continues to repeatedly drop the satellite . As i said this year we took the Caravan and had in car sat nav . This had no problem but the Garmin dropped on quite a few occasions . last year we emptied all the previous routes out and thats made no difference to the memory ,just a thought as to why it drops the signal..(only France ). Question is do we buy another and chance the same thing .

He has just remembered its done it in England also driving my daughters car we thought maybe her screen was affecting it ? silly thought . Dam thing wouldn't work at all .

usertonyishuk
Posted: 11 September 2018 12:43 PM

Forum master

A thought ?

Maybe the power supply is failing. My trusty Totom let us down because I used a plugin 12v adapter in another car not the original adaptor that I had wired into the first car.

I had Lightbulb moment and problem was cured by using a recommended power adaptor.

The adaptor has to step down the voltage (12v) to charge the battery (5v) but seem to take quite a current when in use.

Rgds
userpolo
Posted: 11 September 2018 3:22 PM

Liking what I've found

Maybe it needs the firmware installed again this is the very basic codes which the sat nav uses to work I think there shoukd be instructions on the garmin website. This is deeper than the maps POI etc.
I have had to do this with my Garmin handheld also my panosonic camera which would shut down just when taking a picture
userWill86
Posted: 11 September 2018 4:01 PM

My view has always been that whenever there is an update, it arrives on a new platform and should therefore be reinstalled.

Like a computer perhaps when there is a glitch in its smooth running, remove all connections and start again.
userBulletguy
Posted: 11 September 2018 4:19 PM

Legendary contributor

Michelle......Have you tried a hard reset? My Garmin is probably the same model as yours, the 760 LMT-D, and returning back from a tour it lost signal big time. Fortunately i was back in the UK so knew my route but when i got home i contacted Garmin who advised a total reset and since then it's been ok.

Worth a try. Here is a good tutorial on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9DGc4g6tY&t
userPAJay
Posted: 11 September 2018 5:09 PM

Pops in from time to time

Hi Michelle. glad to see you still around, Hope family well/
Have to agree with Tony. Our trusty Tom Tom had a problem , and we discovered it was the plug to the 12v that was the problem. But if you do decide to buy new, I would get a Tom Tom. Keep both with you , always handy to have a spare. The TT is easy to update, . We have 2 of them the best one is the older one , which is at least 10 years old
PJay
usermichele
Posted: 11 September 2018 9:41 PM

So many to thank So thank you all very much.
Its not the powers supply we know that … Thanks for the crack website link. And hello to you all . The family is well and we are all still travelling . Wishing you all well also x

Going to take your advice and re set and try again .
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator