Garmin Camper

michele

Our Garmin Camper regularly drops the satellite only in France ?. Its never lost it in England . We are in the market for a new one . WE have been towing our Caravan this year and the in car Sat Nav never lost signal .

Its not over heating and its done it since new. Kept threatening the thing and then it works again.

Can anyone recommend a M/H stand alone unit with more success than this current one ?.

Thanks in advance

Hi Derek,

Hope you are well.

I blame him . Its always done it and instantly I said send it back typically he never did . Moans shouts at it ,its let us down a lot . My worry is it packs up right in the middle of driving and hes not looking at the road so it panics me . Its roughly around 2 years old now . Not really been used as obviously we only use in the motor home . He wants another one and Im saying ask everyone else what they use to see if there is better .

Its all updated and still continues to repeatedly drop the satellite . As i said this year we took the Caravan and had in car sat nav . This had no problem but the Garmin dropped on quite a few occasions . last year we emptied all the previous routes out and thats made no difference to the memory ,just a thought as to why it drops the signal..(only France ). Question is do we buy another and chance the same thing .

He has just remembered its done it in England also driving my daughters car we thought maybe her screen was affecting it ? silly thought . Dam thing wouldn't work at all .

A thought ?

Maybe the power supply is failing. My trusty Totom let us down because I used a plugin 12v adapter in another car not the original adaptor that I had wired into the first car.

I had Lightbulb moment and problem was cured by using a recommended power adaptor.

The adaptor has to step down the voltage (12v) to charge the battery (5v) but seem to take quite a current when in use.

Rgds

Maybe it needs the firmware installed again this is the very basic codes which the sat nav uses to work I think there shoukd be instructions on the garmin website. This is deeper than the maps POI etc.

I have had to do this with my Garmin handheld also my panosonic camera which would shut down just when taking a picture

Michelle......Have you tried a hard reset? My Garmin is probably the same model as yours, the 760 LMT-D, and returning back from a tour it lost signal big time. Fortunately i was back in the UK so knew my route but when i got home i contacted Garmin who advised a total reset and since then it's been ok.

Worth a try. Here is a good tutorial on how to do it.

Hi Michelle. glad to see you still around, Hope family well/

Have to agree with Tony. Our trusty Tom Tom had a problem , and we discovered it was the plug to the 12v that was the problem. But if you do decide to buy new, I would get a Tom Tom. Keep both with you , always handy to have a spare. The TT is easy to update, . We have 2 of them the best one is the older one , which is at least 10 years old

PJay

So many to thank So thank you all very much.

Its not the powers supply we know that … Thanks for the crack website link. And hello to you all . The family is well and we are all still travelling . Wishing you all well also x

Going to take your advice and re set and try again .

Archived