Garmin Satnav updates

Archiesgrandad

Being a dreadful skinflint I could never contemplate paying big money for special units set up for different types of users. I have always used the cheapest devices, in my chauffeuring days, driving our various motorhomes and RV's, and towing the caravan, and tried to use my own common sense to avoid going to places I should avoid. So far we've been OK, and the little Garmin Nouvo we bought in the sales at Halfords about 8 or 9 years ago has served us well, but it was becoming a bit obvious that a lot of changes have taken place in the intervening years, so we decided to try the free map updates. Being what my son describes as a technoprat I decided to let him do the magic bit and it seemed to take him no time at all, but what a difference it has made. It always had worked fine, so it is no surprise that it still does, but I was surprised to find that it has the new speed limits set up, and all those new roads south of Rouen are now shown in the correct places, in fact it's like having a new device. I should have done it years ago, I'm really impressed.

AGD

Equally impressed!

Bought a second hand camping car with the top-of-the range Garmin (even had the exact vehicle programmed in! ) and logged on and updated without any trouble and reasonably fast - in contrast to the car's Tom-tom which takes an age. Big changes too as our blanket limit dropped to 80kph between updates.

Pretty good on finding routes to suit the vehicle and very intuitive - the whole experience is far superior to the Tom-tom in the car (prefer to use my non updated 2007 Garmin!)

Archived