Gas Hobs to be banned by 2025

curdle

News out today says the government plan to ban gas hobs in new homes by 2025 to meet carbon emissions targets. Let us hope it is just aimed at house owners. I imagine it will impact on gas availability going into the future. Does anyone know if other EU members have a similar aspiration?

Yes the latest advice is that our homes are contributing 14% of all greenhouse gases from gas boilers. So, in order for the UK to meet the targets for climate change we now know that you shouldn't fly anywhere, shouldn't drive anywhere, avoid eating, don't live in a house, stop farting. At the moment breathing is allowed to continue but there may be plans in the future to ration that to certain times of the day.

Meanwhile - other countries such as China, India, Russia etc are rumoured to have thought about climate change.....

David :-S

curdle - 2019-02-21 3:00 AM

News out today says the government plan to ban gas hobs in new homes by 2025 to meet carbon emissions targets.

Not YET a government plan - but no doubt it will happen sooner or later.

O.K. if the plan includes a new source of supply that is RELIABLE ( unlike electricity ) - and efficient.

( for instance : how will be keep our homes warm / cook our meals - during power cuts ? )

:-|

Rayjsj - 2019-02-21 9:33 AM

Electric hobs (if we are allowed to cook food at all ?) take too long to heat up....and cool down. and waste energy. is it April 1st already ? what ??? no ban on BBQs. ?

I think induction hobs are more efficient, ours takes seconds to heat up.

Maybe we will have to use electric BBQS *-)

That assumes there will be enough power in EHUs to take all of this...and surely generating electricity requires further energy sources...…...fortunately only applies (if that's what they decide) on NEW properties and don't think I shall be in the market for either a new property or motorhome in 2025!!!, .

Keith T - 2019-02-21 12:16 PM

That assumes there will be enough power in EHUs to take all of this...and surely generating electricity requires further energy sources...…...fortunately only applies (if that's what they decide) on NEW properties and don't think I shall be in the market for either a new property or motorhome in 2025!!!, .

We switched to an electric hob years ago - fast - clean - quick, but we still have a portable gas stove as backup - never been used - but we won't part with it!

I too will be happy to still be alive in 2025!

I can live with most of it - but no farting unless I move to China or Russia is a bit much!

If farting is outlawed - who will tell the cows - and where will milk come from - selective breeding - fartless bovines?

Will the ban on the issue of bovine effluent apply to the largest single source - the government?

Chatterbox?

Not quite. We are already faced with depleting sources of refillable gas. So what happens if this goes through? It is not just hobs, but boilers and other gas connected energy sources. What are the realistic alternative sources for motorhome owners? I attend the last German Allrad Abenteur show in Bad Kissengen and already barbeques are restricted. Given a lifespan of a motorhome and ahem increasing life span of healthy owners, what do we face in the future?

curdle - 2019-02-21 1:44 PM

Chatterbox?

Not quite. We are already faced with depleting sources of refillable gas. So what happens if this goes through? It is not just hobs, but boilers and other gas connected energy sources. What are the realistic alternative sources for motorhome owners? I attend the last German Allrad Abenteur show in Bad Kissengen and already barbeques are restricted. Given a lifespan of a motorhome and ahem increasing life span of healthy owners, what do we face in the future?

A van covered in solar panels?

David

curdle - 2019-02-21 1:44 PM

Chatterbox?

The thing is your OP is incorrect, the proposal is to ban the connection of new homes to the gas network, I've yet to see a motorhome plumbed in to mains gas. There is no proposal to ban the use of gas in a motorhome.

I won't commit on climate change, but can I put in a good word for electric barbeques. WE bought one for about 18 euros a few years back and find it great. Almost instant heat, much less carbonated food and far more well cooked food, a lot easier to keep clean and much less smelly., O commend them to you all.

AGD

Wasn't Me - 2019-02-21 9:59 AM

Rayjsj - 2019-02-21 9:33 AM

Electric hobs (if we are allowed to cook food at all ?) take too long to heat up....and cool down. and waste energy. is it April 1st already ? what ??? no ban on BBQs. ?

I think induction hobs are more efficient, ours takes seconds to heat up.

Maybe we will have to use electric BBQS *-)

Not if you have Copper or Alluminum pots and pans,

the whole idea of BBQs is for the Flame Grilled taste.

Archived