Gas attacks abroad

Guest Kerry

I have read with interest the letters about whether gas attacks happen, well I can tell you that they do, I was on a site in Spain last year when I spoke to a swiss couple who had been gassed. They were parked on an aire overnight off the main A7 going from France to Spain, the gas was pumped in through the vent of the motorhome, all they remember is waking up feeling terrible (severe nausea and headaches), all their valuables had been stolen, even his leather jacket and his medication! the police attended but weren't that interested. The woman involved was still terrified 3 days later. My recommendation to anyone travelling along this road is do not park overnight at the ayres, go to a camp site, or go off onto one of the minor roads, they are much safer, cheers Kerry

Kerry, whilst I don't doubt the Swiss couple had a bad time, all we ever get on this forum about gas attacks is hearsay reports: 'I met someone who . . .' They raise more questions than they answer. Such as: Were they parked at a genuine Aire with other motorhomes or was it just a Service Area or garage parking area? Did they have a perimeter alarm fitted and set (we always do)? Is there anyone out there who has actually been attacked themselves? I agree with your general conclusions, however. We all should know that the holiday 'hot spots' are teeming with people who make their living outside the law. So, in these areas, take precautions: camp sites are plentiful and cheap. And the alarms sold at shows to detect the gases used are very expensive and, to my mind anyway, of questionable value. If they did wake you up would it merely be for you to 'go under' anyway? Or would you open a window or door to let fresh air in (and the thieves)? Or do you carry an oxygen cylinder and mask so you can continue to breathe?

Archived