Gas cylinder level indicator

Guest Don

Guest Clive
If you fit a bulk tank this will have a genuine level indicator and even a remote display. The tank has inside a float that moves a magnet. The magnet mechanism is in a thick lump of brass that screws into the tank. The gauge on the outside reads where the magnet is through the brass. A varient of this gague includes a potentiometer which feeds a remote digital display. This is what I have now fitted. OR use a plastc gas bottle so you can see the Propane level. Or as said above weigh the bottle. Both gross and tare weights are given on every bottle.

Guest Derek Uzzell
One of the most useless things I've ever wasted my money on. Don - if you really want one of these you can have mine. e-mail me your address at derek.uzzell@talk21.com and I'll post it to you.

Guest Mel E
There is only ONE WAY of ADDING a device for measuring cylinder fill - and that is the untrasonic device sold by (I think) Truma. But it's costly. See-through plastic cylinders are not legal across all of Europe. Weighing devices are too difficult to use in situ. And devices that measure internal pressure simply do not work - why not? Because the partial pressure of the gas in the cylinder is always the SAME whilst liquid gas is present - it's a basic law of physics you learnt at school. So they only start to give any useful indication once you've used up all the liquid gas - pretty useless.

My Australian cousin showed me the way they use Down Under: pour some boiling (or at least hot) water down the bottle, wait a few moments then fel on the side where the temperature changes. That's your level.

I tried a stick on indicator many years ago. It showed a temperature difference and therefore the division between the gas and the liquid but only when you are using a great deal of gas. Low or intermittent use (like a fridge) won't be sufficient to cause a noticeable temperature difference especially on steel bottles.

Guest Derek Uzzell
The product Mel E mentions is called "Truma-Sonatic" and (at August 2004 prices) cost £88.20. The UK version is designed for conventional steel or aluminium gas-bottles with a fill-weight of 6kg or 7kg, though it's possible to purchase Sonatic abroad for use with larger capacity canisters. The ultrasonic signal is 'fired' upwards from a 20mm-high base unit on which the bottle sits (which is why Sonatic is bottle-size specific), but I'm sure I've seen a universal variant on S-Series Hymers that fired downwards from magnetic sensors attached to the (steel) bottle's upper surface. As far as I'm concerned, Sonatic only earns its keep if your leisure-vehicle has a single bottle gas-system. If two bottles can be accommodated, it makes better financial sense to fit an automatic gas-bottle switch-over device. Mel: Could you say, please, which European countries forbid 'plastic' gas containers?

Thank you for all your replies. I think I'll give the stick-on one a miss. I have contacted Truma and they tell me they cannot adapt their Sonatic system for 11kg cylinders. So I will keep looking. Thanks, Derek, for the offer, I'll save the postage!

Guest Derek Uzzell
Pity! I was hoping to get shot of the thing as it's equally useless as a fridge-magnet. Does anybody else want it - I'm perfectly happy to fork out the postage just to get rid of it?

Archived