Gas hob burner problermo

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

one of my Dometic burners not working...no gas coming through. when you only have two burners its a bit limiting! mainly cooking on bbq but Mrs M turns up in a few weeks and she likes to cook....

have tried to remove burner but cant as there are two tiny torq screws ( I think) I have a small set but nothing that small *-)

Any bright ideas please :-S

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

No, one is working perfectly fine...probably my cleaning it before I came away caused it.

I have small enough allen keys, and now sure its a smaller torq then what I have...

"ferreteria" is this a DIY shop?

EDIT: it does not have ignition, so is the small pin that sits near ring the gas jet? as i thought I had to get the cap off to clean :-S

JudgeMental - 2013-10-13 10:06 AM

No, one is working perfectly fine...probably my cleaning it before I came away caused it.

I have small enough allen keys, and now sure its a smaller torq then what I have...

"ferreteria" is this a DIY shop?

Come on Judge, how long you been in Spain and you are asking what a ferreteria is? They are absolute Aladins cave full of every ironmongers gizzmos you would wish packed from floor to ceiling, nearly a days entertainment exploring. Off to El Cizzy for an explore at a real boot sale-

Ah the limitations of continental kitchens in vans eh!!

Does the fridge and the heating still work on gas?

If so it is not the regulator or the supply feed, which comes back to the burner and the only bit than can block, as has been said, is the jet.

Not being familiar with two burner camping stoves and not having had any issues with my UK built cookers for many many years I am unsure where the jet is on yours but you may be able to get at it from under the grill - does it have a grill - if you have access?

Many modern jets are fixed and non removable so unless you can clean it in situ more extensive dismantling might be needed to get the whole burner out - but that's a guess too!

Try not use too heavy a steel wire to clean the jet, particularly if it is a brass jet, as being a finely calibrated orifice it is easily damaged. If you have what used to be called a 'pricker' which is a metal holder with a very fine piece of stiff wire held in one end designed for jet cleaning that would be ideal - I could lend you mine, carried for many years and never used, if you were closer! The camping shop might stock them?

If you do have to take it apart be aware of any alterations to the air flow. Again older cookers used to be adjustable but I think modern cookers are fixed - but I don't really know.

Hope that helps in part at least and sorry if it's a bit vague in places, but lack of recent experience does not help!

Good luck.

PS - If it makes you feel, we've just had any better four days of gales and hissing rain in the UK - and it don't like getting any better any day soon!

PPS This is what a pricker looks like!

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/16279/post/last/

Judge is your E bike with you and have you got a pump? Maybe you could direct the pressure at the jet?

If the blockage is soft and you have a torch for scorching decorative foods then maybe you could dry out the jet area.

If a blockage and its dust but you wouldn't know that, maybe tapping the area would loosen it.

Guest JudgeMental

popped down to Chinese supermarket and got a kit for about £3. found one that fits but it wont budge....hard to get a purchase on it even using pliers.

have had a look underneath and reluctant to start messing as lots of fine copper pipes there....

As previously said I can manage fine with one hob as all its really doing is boiling a kettle. yes mainly salad and steaks etc..on the BBQ, for lunch today mozzarella salad, fresh sardines and langoustines.....cost peanuts down here:-D

Why i would want or even use an oven in temps approaching 30 deg..is something i have never felt a need for or understood along with most Europeans...I have 2 weeks to sort it before Mrs M arrives...

JudgeMental - 2013-10-13 12:03 PM

Why i would want or even use an oven in temps approaching 30 deg..is something i have never felt a need for or understood along with most Europeans...I have 2 weeks to sort it before Mrs M arrives...

Ovens, being insulated, do make for very good bread and cake storage, especially when tis warm outside, and it is often handy to have the third or even fourth hob burner to stand the kettle or saucepan etc on when not actually cooking or when awaiting cleaning - but as long as you are happy with the flawed kitchen concept of continental vans with little workspace and just two burners it matters not to those of us who prefer a bit more of a civilised kitchen!

Just as long as you enjoy your chosen van in the warm sunshine you ought to be able to remain happy!!

No right or wrong - just different!!

PS - No need to thank anyone for offering help or suggestions - we understand how hard life must be for you right now!!

That's funny - you must be a thought reader - I was going to say that - but I resisted the temptation in the interests of peaceful co-existence!!

JudgeMental - 2013-10-13 12:22 PM

same old tracker..... simply cant help yourself

So here goes anyway -

same old mental - simply can't help yourself!!

Like may others, I am always happy to try and help anyone with a problem.

Like many others, sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but it's always nice when the person asking for help offers a general thanks to all who respond - or am I simply asking for too much??

Guest JudgeMental
Retread24800 - 2013-10-13 12:36 PMYou might have some luck by looking here at least you can see where the jets are!

Thanks..just found the specific model: CE99-ZF460-I-G, its just that internet so slow here...http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Cookers/Products/?productdataid=90596

Guest JudgeMental

I dont know how to do multiple replies...but nice of you to care..bless you!

I have done nothing else, weather to nice...but found an earlier thread on here dating from 2008 with same topic, and what I need apparently is a Hex or Hek driver? for the 2 screws..Chinese kit rubbish. from this thread i dont think it unscrews??

found another thread on MHF with number of caravan maintenance chap in Albir, which is just down the road..so if i cant find the correct driver locally can try this chap nearer my deadline :-D

Archived