Gas leak detector

Mel B

Guest Mel B
After our recent terrible fright with the fire in the van we are seriously considering purchasing a gas leak detector, it probably wouldn't have made much difference to what happened to us, but then again, it might've let us know that there was gas scooting around in the van so we'd know to check things out(depending on how sensitive they are I suppose), it would at least give us some comfort for the future. Has anyone got one? Are they any good, what do they cost, recommendations etc.

Guest Mike B
Hi Mel I've got a butane gas/ether gas detector but not sure how good it is-it's never gone off yet. I did wonder about siting it as it needs to be high for possible ether attack but low for butane. Got it on a special offer from MMM about 3 months ago-perhaps it's still available. Very easy to fit and appears to operate well

Guest George Mays
Hi Mel B/Mike B My work fire officer told me that the siting of the ether/other narcotic gas detector is crucial.It depend on whether you sleep high up or low down, basically the alarm needs to be able to react to noxious fumes before they get you. We have one but fortunately its not been tested yet.

Guest David Powell
Yes Mel, they do work, can be a bit annoying, like smoke alarms can be, going off at the slightest whiff of gas. Mine is about twenty years old, so modern ones will presumably be better than this one. In your case it would have been no use if fitted like mine, as I have it wired into the leisure battery circuit, and it takes several minutes to set it's self up after switching on the domestic circuit. So after your experience, it looks like I must now rewire it so that it is on all the time the vehicle is in use both sited and on route. Perhaps you should seek professional advise regarding the fitting of it. Hope you have both got over the shock of it all by now, not forgetting the dogs who must have been traumatised to a certain extent.

Guest Mel B
Thanks for the info guys. As for the dogs, Midge (5 year old) doesn't seem too worse for ware although he doesn't seem to want to potter in and out of the 'van much now! Piggy (nearly 16 years) seems to be getting over the shock, she's only been in the 'van once since and didn't particularly want to stay for long - she's still a bit jumpy, and if she hears a loud noise gets a bit bothered, hopefully she'll be better soon as we're going tomorrow for our planned week's holiday to Suffolk/Norfolk in a 'loan' motorhome from the dealers. Same make as ours but a bit bigger so at least it's familiar to us. If you're in the area and see a couple in a motorhome with 3 dogs and an inflatable canoe that'll be us!!!

Archived