Gas tank on Burstner

Mackyjane

It’s usually practicable to fit an extermal LPG tank to a motorhome - though photos of a 2015 Ixeo Time IT586 suggest that the task might be challenging.

I do wonder why you’d want to do this, rather than take the more common (and simpler) approach of having a user-refillable gas-bottle instead. I appreciate that - If an underfloor tank were installed - this would free up the gas-locker that could then be used for storage space, but I’m not sure how large an IT586’s gas-locker is and whether the storage-space gained would offset the effort/cost involved in fitting the tank.

It’s not something I’d contemplate doing unless it were imperative to have an empty gas-locker.

Had a under floor gas tank fitted to our 6 meter long Carado one of the best things we have done. The large amount of extra storage it gives us is fantastic , the chocks,electric cables plus tools and loads of stuff goes into the extra locker. Think a great idea for a small van like yours. Had a large tank fitted as the extra cost compared to the much smaller ones means never ever running out of gas and with a outside filler cap no problems filling it so far in UK, France ,Germany and Spain that's over 18 months and 12000 miles living in van 6 months or more a year. Only paid 53p per Lt a month ago. :-D

Not sure if this helps - I replaced the two 6 kg bottles on my Burstner Nexxus 690G with a single Gaslow 11 kg bottle. I also had an external filler point fitted. This gave me the near equivalent capacity of the gas tank as fitted to my earlier Auto Sleeper, some 20 litres.

With just one bottle in the locker space I can now fit the grey waste container, ramps and water hoses. Not cheap, but it does give me flexibility especially in Europe and ends the tyranny of having to ensure I've got enough Calor gas on board.

The cost? The chancellor of our exchequer says it was about £430.

As for price about £175 more than a twin bottle system. For us that cost was well worth the extra space we gain in as I say a small van (6 meters). When you think about how much a new van costs the fitting of this is not much of the total cost and we gain so much extra space. If anybody only use your van for 3 or 4 weeks a year then not a good choice but as our van is used a lot (never enough))) it works for us. You pays your money etc etc. B-)

Zydeco Joe - 2019-11-25 4:32 PM

As for price about £175 more than a twin bottle system...

How much money have you allowed for a twin bottle system?

Gaslow’s website quotes £662 for a 2 x 11kg-bottle system with a remote-filler kit, but that system also includes an automatic change-over head and a stainless-steel gas ‘pigtail’. And then there would be a significant installation charge if the system were not to be DIY installed.

I’m not sure how much labour charges would be, but a DIY installation is demonstrated on this YouTube video-clip

The cost of a single Gaslow 11kg bottle + a remote filler kit + a pigtail adapter would be around £270, but cheaper products could be used instead. Provided that a motorhome’s gas-locker can accommodate an 11kg user-refillable bottle, carrying a second bottle is likely to be overkill for many motorcaravanners.

A useful article on LPG tanks and refillable cylinders can be read here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-advice-gas-tanks-or-refillable-cylinders

We have a 2019 Burstner Iexo 736, I had a 25 litre under slung tank fitted it's the one that goes between the chassis. I had it specked up a bit, electronic shut off valve, securimotion regulator, inline filter, filler point in side skirt, and the pipe work so I can still use a 6kg propane bottle in the locker if required. The total cost inc vat £1,100

Tom At Mullacott Motorhomes, Mullacot Cross did the work, neat tidy professional job most impressed.

weldted

The cost you’ve quoted is interesting, but there’s a significant difference in adding an underfloor LPG tank to a 7.49m long A-class Burstner motorhome like yours or to a 5.99m long low-profile Ixeo Time it586 model as the latter will have considerably less underfloor free space.

The photo attached below of the gas-locker of an Ixeo Time it586 suggests that the locker should accommodate 2 x 11kg German-norm gas bottles (though possibly not 2 x 13kg UK-norm bottles). Fitting an underfloor LPG tank and not carrying bottles in the gas-locker would therefore gain a fair amount of storage space. But would having a 100% empty gas-locker be worth the extra cost of an LPG tank-system over having a 50% empty locker containing a single user-refillable 11kg bottle as Cruisecontrol chose to do?

If gaining as much storage space as possible on an Ixeo Time it586 is desired, then an LPG tank is the way to go and the cost becomes incidental. If some extra storage space will do, then installing a single user-refillable bottle in the gas-locker will be simpler and less expensive.

It’s perhaps also worth observing that, unless it has been allowed for (as with weldted’s installation), a problem with an underfloor LPG tank is likely to be a show-stopper, whereas it should be a lot easier to work around a problem with a more accessible user-refillable bottle and/or by switching to an exchange-only bottle.

310769003_gaslocker.png.a1fca21b8a70462d8ff9aba19d9d2968.png

posted by Derek.

How much money have you allowed for a twin bottle system?

Had our system installed over 12 months ago and cannot remember the exact figures but think around your figures plus labour and a internal gauge approx £750 for twin bottles. We paid around £925 I think.

On our van the installer had no problems as the amount of space under the van was in his words far more than a Cathargo he worked on a week before ours, with no cables or pipes getting in the way. Plus we have a lot of payload left after the tank was installed as well as the extra storage gained. I know not all vans would this be the case. For us it was and is the way to go for you or the original poster who knows we are all different with different wants and needs and that makes this hobby even better. Have fun on you travels. B-)

Your thinking is exactly the same as ours! Our previous van had 2x6kg refillable gas-it bottles which more than paid for themselves in the 6 years we had them. Our reasoning for wanting the tank is purely to free up the locker for extra storage. The extra cost over the cost of refillable bottles is well worth it, I believe. Still waiting for a quote from our local fitter, but I think we're doing it anyway!

Archived