Gaslow & Calor ?

Duffer

Is it possible to have a Gaslow (or similar) refillable cylinder with external filling point, and a Calor bottle (not through a joined / switchover connection) ? (I don't want a tank.)

I travel in Scotland where LPG is very difficult to find - most of the islands have no supplies so an extended stay can mean running out and a 2+ hour ferry trip to refill. The possibility to have a bottle of each in the van would give me the best of both worlds - to run on cheap LPG with the possibility to switch to a Calor reserve bottle and obtain local supplies.

I've just changed vans today (a few months earlier than intended) and can accommodate two 13kgs bottles in the new one so it would also be useful to get it done before I head off to France.

hallii - 2018-01-27 7:40 PM

Yes is the short answer. You describe exactly what I have.

H

That's good, thanks. I'll start ringing around on Monday for a price. Is there anything I should watch out for? I know I'll need adaptors to fill in Europe but that's about the limit of my understanding.

Have a word with - M P D Caravans, Unit 18, Vanguard Trading Estate, Chesterfield Tel - 01246 231 773

and/or

GW Caravan Services Ltd, Crags Industrial Park, Morven Street, Creswell, Tel - 01909 726600

They are both very good, helpful and if they can't do it they will advise where you can get it done

I fitted a Gaslow system myself a few years ago but getting a professional is possibly the best way for peace of mind.

Hello Keith

"Can anyone recommend a Gaslow installer in the Derbyshire / South Yorkshire area please?

I don't mind if they're further away if they are particularly good."

I use a mobile technician who comes to me in Ashby De La Zouch; not to far from you.

He is Ian Hollingworth former mechanic at RDH. After they closed he set up a mobile service for Motorhome repairs except major bodywork repairs or fitting alarms. He does all other work including fitting gas tanks and bottles.

Contact Ian for advice.

His website is www.motorhometech.co.uk or contact Ian

on 07528784180

on 01159611332 or email info@motorhometech.co.uk.

I have no association with Ian other than being a very satisfied customer

Duffer - 2018-01-27 7:43 PM

H

That's good, thanks. I'll start ringing around on Monday for a price. Is there anything I should watch out for? I know I'll need adaptors to fill in Europe but that's about the limit of my understanding.

You will need to decide whether to have a ‘butane’ pigtail and a POL adaptor or a ‘propane’ pigtail and a 21.8LH adaptor. You’ll also need to decide on the make/type of refillable bottle and whether the gas-hoses are stainless-steel or rubber. A system comprising a Gaslow R67 bottle and stainless-steel hoses will (or should) be significantly more expensive than one involving a lesser-specification bottle and rubber hoses, though the installation itself would be little different. So, when obtaining prices, make sure you know what is being offered.

Yes its probably best you explain to the fitter that you want to also use the Calor. Thats the set up I got from Gaslow. I just unscrew the regulator from one to the other. 1 min job. If you can get the filler fitted on the side ,this stops you having to open the locker to fill up which can on the odd occasion result in you being refused a fill up although I believe this is rare.

Solomongrundy - 2018-01-27 8:49 PM

Have a word with - M P D Caravans, Unit 18, Vanguard Trading Estate, Chesterfield Tel - 01246 231 773

and/or

GW Caravan Services Ltd, Crags Industrial Park, Morven Street, Creswell, Tel - 01909 726600

They are both very good, helpful and if they can't do it they will advise where you can get it done

I fitted a Gaslow system myself a few years ago but getting a professional is possibly the best way for peace of mind.

I emailed MPD on Saturday - they used to work on my old campervan years ago. GW are good - they service my caravan and do the hab on my motorhomes. I didn't know they did Gaslow so I'll give James a shout.

Cheers.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-28 11:13 AM

Duffer - 2018-01-27 7:43 PM

H

You will need to decide whether to have a ‘butane’ pigtail and a POL adaptor or a ‘propane’ pigtail and a 21.8LH adaptor. You’ll also need to decide on the make/type of refillable bottle and whether the gas-hoses are stainless-steel or rubber. A system comprising a Gaslow R67 bottle and stainless-steel hoses will (or should) be significantly more expensive than one involving a lesser-specification bottle and rubber hoses, though the installation itself would be little different. So, when obtaining prices, make sure you know what is being offered.

Good advice - thanks. I'd avoid rubber hose and would always go for stainless. I'd also keep everything 'propane' based so would use an adapter. I'm sure my new Tracker takes two 13 kg bottles, but I've seen a couple of references on-line (should have noted where) to Trackers taking a 13 and a 6. Do you know is this a legacy issue or just a preference for weight saving?

Barryd999 - 2018-01-28 12:13 PM

Yes its probably best you explain to the fitter that you want to also use the Calor. Thats the set up I got from Gaslow. I just unscrew the regulator from one to the other. 1 min job. If you can get the filler fitted on the side ,this stops you having to open the locker to fill up which can on the odd occasion result in you being refused a fill up although I believe this is rare.

Yes, that's what I'm after. Just treat the other bottle as another bottle! I certainly want an external filler point because, as you say, there are stories of people being refused service, also it means you don't have to allow room for the locker door when you park to fill up :-)

Duffer - 2018-01-29 6:48 PM

...I'm sure my new Tracker takes two 13 kg bottles, but I've seen a couple of references on-line (should have noted where) to Trackers taking a 13 and a 6...

Auto-Trail brochures going back more than 10 years are available on-line and the norm seems to be that models in the Frontier range have had a 2 x 13kg gas-locker, wth all other coachbuilt models having a 13kg + 6kg locker.

Right up to 2017 the brochures provide details of the gas-locker capacity, but the 2018 brochure apparently omits that datum. The 2017 brochure indicates that Tracker models’ locker is 13kg + 6kg size and the position and size of a Tracker’s gas-locker door seems unchanged for 2018. This very recent “What Motorhome” review of a 2018 Tracker LB also quotes a 13kg + 6kg locker capacity.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-auto-trail-tracker-lb-motorhome/136170

If your Tracker’s locker is 13kg + 6kg size (and all the indicators suggest that it will be) you’ll need to decide whether to have a large refillable bottle + a smaller Calor canister, or vice versa.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-30 7:44 AM

Duffer - 2018-01-29 6:48 PM

...I'm sure my new Tracker takes two 13 kg bottles, but I've seen a couple of references on-line (should have noted where) to Trackers taking a 13 and a 6...

Auto-Trail brochures going back more than 10 years are available on-line and the norm seems to be that models in the Frontier range have had a 2 x 13kg gas-locker, wth all other coachbuilt models having a 13kg + 6kg locker.

Right up to 2017 the brochures provide details of the gas-locker capacity, but the 2018 brochure apparently omits that datum. The 2017 brochure indicates that Tracker models’ locker is 13kg + 6kg size and the position and size of a Tracker’s gas-locker door seems unchanged for 2018. This very recent “What Motorhome” review of a 2018 Tracker LB also quotes a 13kg + 6kg locker capacity.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-auto-trail-tracker-lb-motorhome/136170

If your Tracker’s locker is 13kg + 6kg size (and all the indicators suggest that it will be) you’ll need to decide whether to have a large refillable bottle + a smaller Calor canister, or vice versa.

I've been trying to pin this down - Brownhills don't know so they phoned Auto-Trail techies. Apparently, they say, the 13+6 is nothing to do with locker capacity but merely to reduce the MIRO and therefore report a bigger payload! ( A bit like saying the fresh water is 5 litres even though the tank is much larger!)

In the morning, they are going to get two cylinders and see if they fit. Watch this space :-)

I’ve attached a photo of a 2018 Tracker RS.

The gas-locker position behind the left cab-door seems to be the same for all 2018 Tracker models and images of earlier-vintage Trackers seem no different.

Plainly, if the locker will take 2 x 13kg Calor bottles, it should take a 13kg Calor + an 11kg refillable bottle. However, although some lockers can accommodate a pair of Calor 13kg canisters, ‘squeezing’ may need to be done to get them in, resulting in both bottles needing to be removed when one of the bottles becomes empty and needs replacing. The system you are considering - with one 13kg Calor bottle and one 11kg refillable bottle would have the latter container fixed firmly in the locker and this might inhibit removal of the Calor bottle should you need to do this. So even if your Tracker’s locker can accept 2 x 13kg Calor bottles, you may still need to consider what you want the eventual Calor + refillable system to look like.

Frankly, I can’t see it mattering much whether the locker will accept 2 x 13kg bottles or 1 x 13kg + 1 x 6kg, as you’ll undoubtedly be opting for an 11kg refillable bottle (which is bound to go in) and if a Calor 13kg will also go in that’s fine, but if only a Calor 6kg will fit, so what? - you’ll still have a back-up bottle for when autogas is tricky to find.

Auto-trail-tracker-rs-2018.jpg.e922ebe5feb72fb1610bd8e0a0e152b5.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-30 6:51 PM

I’ve attached a photo of a 2018 Tracker RS.

The gas-locker position behind the left cab-door seems to be the same for all 2018 Tracker models and images of earlier-vintage Trackers seem no different.

Plainly, if the locker will take 2 x 13kg Calor bottles, it should take a 13kg Calor + an 11kg refillable bottle. However, although some lockers can accommodate a pair of Calor 13kg canisters, ‘squeezing’ may need to be done to get them in, resulting in both bottles needing to be removed when one of the bottles becomes empty and needs replacing. The system you are considering - with one 13kg Calor bottle and one 11kg refillable bottle would have the latter container fixed firmly in the locker and this might inhibit removal of the Calor bottle should you need to do this. So even if your Tracker’s locker can accept 2 x 13kg Calor bottles, you may still need to consider what you want the eventual Calor + refillable system to look like.

Frankly, I can’t see it mattering much whether the locker will accept 2 x 13kg bottles or 1 x 13kg + 1 x 6kg, as you’ll undoubtedly be opting for an 11kg refillable bottle (which is bound to go in) and if a Calor 13kg will also go in that’s fine, but if only a Calor 6kg will fit, so what? - you’ll still have a back-up bottle for when autogas is tricky to find.

I was after 13 Calor and 11Gaslow because I go up to Scotland for extended trips a lot and it's not just tricky to find, LPG is virtually non-existent. If I go across to the Western Isles there is (I think) one garage that sells it in Stornoway, but no-one really wants a 1.5 hour ferry crossing and a 50 mile road trip to fill up. A 13kg Calor gives a lot more resilience. Last June when I was up the road it was 9-11 degrees for at least 4 weeks while folk down here had 30+ so even in mid-summer the gas is needed. I would run off the Calor (which is obtainable) and use the Gaslow as back-up until I next pass a store, whereas elsewhere I'd do it the other way around.

Mickt - 2018-01-30 7:14 PM

I filled up my Gaslow last year on the Isle of Skye at Broadford, you can also stay there over night back of supermarket carpark.

Hi Mick, yes, I think that is the last place before getting the ferries from UIG so you can see the problem! It's just not used on the Isles, but they run off calor for cooking etc! You'd think they'd have realised the benefit of refilling.

Duffer - 2018-01-30 7:19 PM

Hi Mick, yes, I think that is the last place before getting the ferries from UIG so you can see the problem! It's just not used on the Isles, but they run off calor for cooking etc! You'd think they'd have realised the benefit of refilling.

Hi

By the sounds of it,"a refillable" isn't really the tool for job then, not if you can be up there for 4 weeks at a time, with nowhere to refill it..? :-S

For those trips, I'd just be shoehorning in as many Calor/exchange cylinders as it could safely take...

(and if you do have a need for a refillable, maybe just try one with an on-bottle filler, and you can then opt to take it with you, as and when the trip dictates?)

Thanks Derek.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to try two 13kg Calor, or a gaslow and a calor. There again, maybe he has and that's why I've heard nothing.

Archived