Gaslow. What is it?

libby

I'm working on a month in Denmark and Northern Germany next May. I have access for two 13k bottles which would very likely last the time.

But, I'm not familiar with the Gaslow types. So what exactly are the Gaslow bottles.

1.The sizes.

2. The colour.

3. How and where are they refilled.

4. Where are they bought from.

5. Are the L/H connections the same as Propane

6. Are different regulators needed.

7. Do the gas jets require changing

8. Is Propane available on the continent.

I've been on short visits OK but would like to know the answers if staying longer.

Bill

Very simply they are gas cylinders just like your typical Calor models and in two similar sizes. The difference is that you refill them at a petrol station (usually) just like putting petrol in your car. It's the same gas (LPG) that cars which are converted to that fuel run on.

Before all this gets too complicated I suggest that you have a look at Gaslow's site and then do a search on Gaslow on this forum and you will get the members' opinions.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/c_s1_1.htm

Edited to say that my post crossed with the one above. You now have two sites to have a look at!

libby - 2009-08-25 10:31 PM

I'm working on a month in Denmark and Northern Germany next May. I have access for two 13k bottles which would very likely last the time.

But, I'm not familiar with the Gaslow types. So what exactly are the Gaslow bottles.

1.The sizes.

2. The colour.

3. How and where are they refilled.

4. Where are they bought from.

5. Are the L/H connections the same as Propane

6. Are different regulators needed.

7. Do the gas jets require changing

8. Is Propane available on the continent.

I've been on short visits OK but would like to know the answers if staying longer.

Bill

1) 6.5kg, 13kg

2) Usually yellow

3)Any garage that sells autogas, you fill yourself

4) Most decent motorhome dealers

5) Not a clue

6) I changed mine for an auto changover system to save having an unreliable gauge, I feel this is the best system.

7) No

8) Autogas is a mix, you have no choice

libby

1.The sizes?

6kg cylinder (11.5 litres at 80% fill)

11kg cylinder (21 litres at 80% fill)

More recent Gaslow bottles have in integral contents-gauge and a reduced height.

5. Are the L/H connections the same as Propane?

No - a Gaslow bottle's gas 'output point' has (as PKC says) the same male threaded connection as that of a UK Calor 4.5kg butane bottle. A Gaslow bottle's gas 'input point' has a male threaded connection suitable for attaching the Gaslow remote-filling stainless-steel flexible hose.

6. Are different regulators needed?

Assuming your Rapido has the now-commonplace bulkhead-mounted 30mbar regulator, then the answer is No. If you are currently using standard UK propane LPG cylinders, then you will either need to replace your present system's 'pigtail(s)' with the UK Calor 4.5kg butane type (probably the best approach as you could simultaneously swap to the Gaslow stainless-steel core type of pigtail), or use the adapter PKC mentions.

8. Is Propane available on the continent?

As rupert123 advises, 'Autogas' is usually a mixture of propane and butane. The propane-to-butane proportions vary country-to-country and (apparently) the 'mix' for Denmark is 50%(propane)/50%(butane) and for Germany 90%(propane)/10%(butane).

For a fuller listing see

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13575&posts=7

Derek Uzzell - 2009-08-26 7:56 AM

As rupert123 advises, 'Autogas' is usually a mixture of propane and butane. The propane-to-butane proportions vary country-to-country and (apparently) the 'mix' for Denmark is 50%(propane)/50%(butane) and for Germany 90%(propane)/10%(butane).

I believe that in the UK though it is virtually 100% Propane.

Not wishing to disagree with Rupert 123 but consider the option for number 6, personally I don't want and haven't used an auto change over valve as I want to know when the one cylinder has run out and I am on my second cylinder so a manual change over valve is the route I have taken. All subjective of course.

Bas

Basil - 2009-08-26 11:19 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2009-08-26 7:56 AM

I believe that in the UK though it is virtually 100% Propane.

Not wishing to disagree with Rupert 123 but consider the option for number 6, personally I don't want and haven't used an auto change over valve as I want to know when the one cylinder has run out and I am on my second cylinder so a manual change over valve is the route I have taken. All subjective of course.

Bas

Basil you do know this is the point. The gauge indicator turns from white to red, just like heating systems in a house that runs on lpg. My cylinders in the summer last about three weeks each so every few days I have a look, if it is red I then have a least a couple of weeks to top up the system. Also with the auto system the gas does not cut of at awkward moments. The system is very reliable and I still think much the better way.

rupert123 - 2009-08-26 11:33 AM

Basil you do know this is the point. The gauge indicator turns from white to red, just like heating systems in a house that runs on lpg. My cylinders in the summer last about three weeks each so every few days I have a look, if it is red I then have a least a couple of weeks to top up the system. Also with the auto system the gas does not cut of at awkward moments. The system is very reliable and I still think much the better way.

Hi Rupert, yes it is just a personal thing. When we are away I rarely look inside the gas locker so I believe, in my case, that I would never see that the valve had switched over so would continue to use the gas until it ran out and have no back up. I did consider fitting the electronic repeater thingy inside the van but felt that I could not justify the cost when all I do is wait until I have to manually turn over the valve and that tells me to top up as soon as possible Like I say just personal preference, but for me the auto valve would not work.

Bas

Big Momma

"GPL" is a French-language abbreviation standing for "Gaz de Pétrole Liquéfié". A GPL sign at a French fuel service-station indicates that there's a pump providing gas suitable for fuelling a motor vehicle that can run on (as we call the fuel in the UK) 'autogas'.

In Germany, autogas is referred to as "Autogas" or "Flüssiggas", whereas, in certain other EU countries (eg. Belgium) it's called "LPG".

In the UK, "LPG" is used as an abbreviation for "Liquified Petrolium Gas", a general term that encompasses butane and propane gasses in liquified form (eg. Calor or Campingaz bottled gas), not just autogas.

The following list is taken from the earlier forum thread I mentioned in my last posting:

LPG Composition (% by volume) as Automotive Fuel in Europe

Country Propane:Butane

Austria 50:50

Belgium 50:50

Denmark 50:50

France 35:65

Germany 90:10

Greece 20:80

Ireland 100:0

Italy 25:75

Netherlands 50:50

Spain 30:70

Sweden 95:5

United Kingdom 100:0

It will be noticed that Autogas marketed in some European countries can have a startlingly large proportion of butane in the mix (Greece = 80%). This may lead to cold weather difficulties when the fuel is used for 'domestic' purposes in leisure vehicles.

As you rightly say, autogas is available in Spain nowadays. If I remember correctly, it used to be reserved for taxis and public transport vehicles, but this ruling ceased 4 or 5 years ago.

More gassy stuff on:

http://www.autogas-forum.de/links/links-e.htm

Archived