Gaslow bottles

yeti

This is what Gaslow say on their website:

. * After 15 years you MUST take your cylinder(s) to your local dealer who will exchange them for new cylinders charging a replacement fee.

It's a pity Gaslow don't tell their dealers about their obligation with regards to exchange. I visited Southdowns Motorhomes in Portsmouth and they knew nothing about this. At the time, I was in a rush and didn't pursue the matter.

This has reminded me to email Gaslow and ask them what is the replacement fee I'm likely to be charged.

PS. I bought the 11kg Gaslow cylinder from an online retailer. Perhaps the exchange system only applies if you originally bought from a Gaslow dealer and return it to the same dealer.

PPS. Thanks Derek for the MHFun link, only just seen it.

The critical issue regarding ‘recertification' of the user-refillable LPG bottles and fixed gas tanks of the type used by motorcaravanners is whether or not ‘privately-owned' bottles/tanks are legally required to be recertified.

On the Auto-Sleepers Owners Forum (in a thread titled "Gas tank re-certfication 10 years on”) Paul Mold posted the following on 5 November 2018.

.................................................................................................

"Here is the response from Gas-it,

"Assuming your tank is in serviceable condition and its coating is checked at least every 12 months and there is no corrosion, then the legal requirements for private owners currently is that you do not need to have the gas tank recertified or replaced after 10 years. That all said we always recommend that the tank is recertified every 10 years and that goes for our GAS IT Bottles as well (of any brand).

The benefits that all owners of directly supplied GAS IT bottles and tanks enjoy are that from the outset we have only every supplied and fitted quality products to the our self refillable system range which make sure they last and last. For example, all our cylinder and bottles have only ever been fitted with quality German valves, so the reliability and longevity of all our valves compared to cheaper Taiwanese and Chinese valves that some UK bottle and tank fit, is I'd says second to none plus the bottles and tanks themselves are manufactured at the largest European plants using the best quality steels and alloys and to the maximum thickness possible without it being a burden ( e.g. Too much steel = too much weight ).

Here’s a link on the GAS IT Knowledgebase that give you all the information as to carry out the recertification or end of life disposal. https://www.gasit.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=84

I am unsure how much it currently costs to get a tank or bottle recertified so it might be just as easy to replace the tank and if that is the case we offer a replacement Service tank option. It is a brand new tank with new valves fitted but it comes with no valve box or filling elbow fitted ( your installer would use the airbox off your existing tank and also the elbow. ) Its not listed on the shop so you would need to contact your GAS IT dealer or the GAS IT sales team who will give you a price.

If you want a local GAS IT dealer to get involved then please have a look at the GAS IT Dealer map on our webshop. Here's the direct link https://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-dealer-network.html

Hope this helps,

Nick"

So there we have it - no legal requirement for recertification for the private user but a recommendation to do it and to inspect it's condition annually. So when you book a habitation check it would be worth checking that your engineer is trained to install Gas-it systems.”

.................................................................................................

The following link relates to gas-cylinder testing and includes a number of cross references.

http://www.bcga.co.uk/pages/index.cfm?page_id=88&title=cylinder_testing

GAS IT seem to be saying that, as long as a ‘privately owned’ tank/bottle is in serviceable condition and is inspected annually (Who by?) and is visually OK, there’s no legal imperative to have a tank/bottle recertified.

Anybody prepared to pursue this with GAS-IT? (I’m not going to...)

Yeti

If your mysterious questions are intended to refer to the last sentence in my previous posting ("Anybody prepared to pursue this with GAS-IT? (I’m not going to...)”), then I suggest that YOU ask Gas-It about their advice

""Assuming your tank is in serviceable condition and its coating is checked at least every 12 months and there is no corrosion, then the legal requirements for private owners currently is that you do not need to have the gas tank recertified or replaced after 10 years...”

and whether this ‘loophole’ also applies to private owners of user-refillable gas-bottles as well as to private owners of fixed LPG tanks.

If there is indeed no UK legal requirement for motorcaravanners who have user-refillable LPG bottles/tanks to have those gas-reservoirs recertified after a defined number of years, then your questions in your original posting become irrelevant.

As you raised the issue, do some investigation yourself and ask Gas-It to justify their statement - then report back on what you’ve been told by them.

Archived