Gaslow system on ebay

flyboyprowler

It would be wise to check the manufacture date as these cylinders need to be retested/replaced every 10 years. They might not be as cheap as they seem.

I notice there is another system for sale with manufacture date 2008 so is already past the 10 year point. I wonder what your insurance company would say about this?

The Gaslow bottles shown in the photos on the eBay advert are the latest type of R67 canister.

Their age cannot be much more than 3 years, as the central assembly on each bottle’s top clearly has the plastic shut-off knob that was not introduced for Gaslow bottles until late-2015 at the very earliest.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-24 1:58 PM

The Gaslow bottles shown in the photos on the eBay advert are the latest type of R67 canister.

Their age cannot be much more than 3 years, as the central assembly on each bottle’s top clearly has the plastic shut-off knob that was not introduced for Gaslow bottles until late-2015 at the very earliest.

Yes I wish I'd waited a few months before buying my R67 cylinder which has the brass knurled knob not the much more user friendly yellow shut off knob. However, I did buy mine at a 50% (cash only) discount from a caravan/motorhome dealer that went into administration. Cannot win them all I guess. :-D

Obviously the most reliable way of establiishing how old a Gaslow canister is will be to check the date information stamped into the bottle’s metal, but some idea of the bottle’s age can be gained from its appearance.

The original Gaslow bottles were ‘2-hole’ type and may, or may not, carry a vertical magnetically-operated contents gauge. The top of such a bottle is shown in the 1st photo below.

Those botles were superseded in 2013 by the “R67” design with a single large-diameter central ‘hole' in the top where all the bottle’s ‘gubbins’ are located. Turning the bottle’s gas outlet On or Off is via a small brass circular knob, the outlet connectiion is a threaded brass elbow that angles upwards, and the contents gauge is horizontal. (2nd photo below.)

The R67 design was facelifted in 2015 with the On/Off brass knob replaced by a much larger plastic knob, and the threaded outlet connection is now horizontal. (3rd photo below.)

798362607_gasloworiginal.jpg.ed7a5d31a4d2e9e53c57bd939beccba1.jpg

1301967629_gaslowR67.jpg.5711e819c046d86ae1d1fcae97575587.jpg

606847658_gaslowR67latest.jpg.d4e8583797923b1bbea84196a18e922f.jpg

Ebay can be a good source for used bargains and a few years back i bought a 3.9kg Propane Calor bottle. Seller had put it on bidding and 'pick up only' so i got it for £2! I'd seen from the photo it looked well used and a bit scruffy but wasn't bothered about that as i just wanted a spare cylinder to get an exchange refill.

Surprisingly it was almost full but i wasn't going to chance using it so went to my local Calor centre who took one look at it and said, "blimey that's no good mate it's well past it's sell by"......and promptly replaced with a brand new one!

Ebay is a minefield...

Currently there are several Gaslow bottles/systems being advertised on ebay. Some of those adverts provide information about when the bottle was manufactured and when it should be tested/recertified, but other adverts do not. Some adverts refer to the Gaslow bottle as being “brand new” (and the bottle may well not have been used) but the advert’s photo is not of the latest ‘plastic knob’ R67 type. (It has to be said that all of the photos of R67 canisters on Gaslow’s own website - and on many other non-ebay websites - are also of the pre-plastic-knob bottles!!!) So there’s a need to beware...

Calor forbids unauthorised ‘trading’ of its bottles, but - as will be apparent from ebay adverts - this prohibition is widely ignored. If an unwanted Calor bottle is returned to an official Calor retailer or a UK Calor Centre it may be possible to obtain some payment for it (current terms and conditions are here)

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-bottle-return

but many Calor bottles end up a recycling centres.

When I began motorcaravanning (in 1999) for a while I used ‘exchange’ gas-bottles not user-refillable ones, and I was able to obtain from the local recycling centre free ‘spare’ Calor and Campingaz canisters that had been dumped there - however, I suspect the recycling centre would be less casual nowadays. I’ve had plenty of Calor bottles pass throgh my hands and I’ve never paid for any of them - now they have all gone back to Calor except for the 15kg butane canister in a room heater.

Unusually for Derek he's not quite correct (Shock horror 8-) :-( )

Calor won't give you a refund of the deposit you paid when you bought it unless you have the original signed agreement from nineteen hundred and frozen to death. They say it's to stop unscrupulous people stealing them and claiming the thirty odd quid back.

And second point (Derek's wrong on TWO counts *-) :-( is local recycling centres won't let you have one that's been dumped by previous owners. I needed one last autumn and our tip have a cage full of them and I asked if I could have or buy one. The answer was No. They're clocked in and registered when someone dumps one off and then have to go back to calor/flogs for inspection and recycling. I asked chappie if I could just iberate one and he said the cage is under CCTV and they regularly check physical numbers with their log.

Colin

If you reread my posting you’ll find that it said

"If an unwanted Calor bottle is returned to an official Calor retailer or a UK Calor Centre IT MAY BE POSSIBLE to obtain some payment for it (current terms and conditions are here)

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-bottle-return

“MAY” is not a synonym for “WILL” and Calor’s terms and conditions (shown in the above link) should make it plain what the likelihood is of obtaining a payment and what procedure is involved.

I don’t think there was any real doubt about when I was managing to acquire Calor bottles from my local recycling centre. In fact It was during a relatively short period (probably a couple of years maximum) as I know I had switched to using a user-refillable bottle quite a while before selling my Herald motorhome in 2004.

I also said “...I suspect the recycling centre would be less casual nowadays” which is evidently the case with YOUR local recycling centre. Whether I could inveigle a dumped Calor bottle from MY local recycling centre using my amazing persuasive powers would remain to be seen, but my local centre is much better organised than it used to be and much pickier about health and safety and following regulations. So it’s very likely that I wouldn’t be allowed to do this nowadays.

A recycling centre was certainly a fruitful source of ‘free’ Calor bottles in days of yore, and a motorhome dealership once told me that one of his staff had a working relationship with the local recycling centre where a Calor bottle could be acquired for a very small financial ‘consideration', and then provided free-of-charge to a customer buying a motorhome.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-25 8:50 AM

Ebay is a minefield...

I'd say can be rather than "is". Much depends on what you're searching to buy and generally buyers have some knowledge of the item...or at least, should have.

I take your point about Calor and 'unauthorised trading' but as you say it's widely ignored and Calor themselves aren't able to say, "but you haven't bought that from us" because nobody keeps receipts, not to mention the number of bottles which must pass perfectly legitimately during sales of used mh's or caravans. In short, it's impractical for Calor to waste time arguing the toss and a lot easier to make an exchange refill.

BOC have tighter controls and unless a trader with an account you couldn't obtain bottles of acetylene from them. But Calor couldn't ever do this as it would prove a nightmare.

Archived