Gemini alarm re-programming

rooster63

There is a Gemini 7509T2 fitted to my van. When I use the alarm fob to lock the van everything works fine but when I unlock the van the sliding and rear door don’t unlock, I have to use the van fob. It looks like it could be a programming error so going to have a go at re-programming the alarm. This involves turning ignition on and pressing both buttons together on the alarm fob. This sets up the programming sequence enabling or disabling the various functions in sequence using either button 1 or 2. It looks like I need to enable double pulse locking. If it goes pear shaped because things aren’t wired up as expected is there a way of resetting everything to how it was? Don’t fancy an unstoppable alarm going off.

I have had problems in the past with a Gemini alarm and two suggestions I was given was to disconnect the vehicle battery for a reasonable period like an hour or so I think then reconnect or remove and replace the alarm system connector block inserted into the OBD port. Not sure if this is relevant to your alarm but thought I would throw it in there as a suggestion as they have worked on mine.

rooster63 - 2021-03-10 4:34 PM

There is a Gemini 7509T2 fitted to my van....

I think you may have a Gemini 7590T2 alarm system (not a 7509).

If that’s correct there’s an Installation/Use manual here

http://www.avsgemini.com/user/downloads/Gemini%207590T2-1%20user%20&%20installation%20guide.pdf

though your mention of “double pulse locking” suggests that you may already have this. There doesn’t seem to be any magic ‘return to factory default settings’ guidance, but Don’s suggestions would be worth exploring if it proves necessary.

This 2011 MHFun thread discussed the 7590 alarm and mentioned Timberland Motorhomes. (I think you have a “Destiny”model).

You could try contacting AVS

http://www.avsgemini.com/contact.html

Sorry my mistake, it is the 7590T2. I have contacted AVS Gemini and from my description they do think it is the above model and given me a link to the re-programming. My main concern is that although re-programming seems straightforward if it is not wired up as per the installation manual am I going to open up a can of worms if it is not straightforward. Not sure why it wasn’t set up so the alarm fob would open up all doors. My old van worked that way.

Perhaps the alarm system was originally set up so that all the doors unlocked using the alarm fob and a previous owner of the motorhome played about with the programming. Or the alarm system developed a fault, needed attention and was reprogrammed differently. Or a previous owner reprogrammed the system deliberately to operate as it now does.

You could try contacting Timberland about the original set-up, but it would be a real shot in the dark - and you’ll never be able to establish what earlier owners might have got up to.

If you can get the alarm system to enter its programming mode you’ll probably be OK, though you might still find that selecting ‘double pulse locking’ won’t result in all the doors unlocking via the alarm remote fob. As all the doors will unlock by using the ‘vehicle’ remote key fob, the system isn’t really ‘broke’, so you don’t really have to ‘fix’ it.

No luck with the re-programming, I was able to enter the programming mode but sliding door and rear doors stay locked until I use the van fob. Just means that if my wife and I are both away from the van whoever has the spare key has to use the central unlocking button on the dashboard to open side door. Not a big deal in warm weather but in the cooler weather we use a insulated cover on the front which means you can’t easily open the front doors. Could always use the rear doors if needed as they open with a key.

Thinking about this some more, I have never used the fob that came with the Gemini alarm to open the doors and have always just used the van key as using this arms the alarm so why can’t you simply use the van key and forget the Gemini fob.

The issue is when both my wife and I are away from the van eg having a shower whoever has the spare key which doesn’t have the van remote can’t easily open the sliding door so using the van fob to lock doesn’t make any difference unfortunately. It’s just a minor inconvenience, not worth the £160 quoted to supply and recode a van remote control. Might at some point get an auto electrician to look at the van but not really worth the expense.

Having read the handbook for the van properly I’ve realised there is a switch by the window switches on the driver’s door to unlock the side and rear doors and so when I have got the windscreen cover on it is possible to open the driver’s door enough to reach that switch.

I assume that, when you reprogrammed the alarm system, you took note of the advice in the 3rd sentennce?

8.4 - DOUBLE PULSE UNLOCK

This function provides a double pulse unlock (about 0,5 second each) upon disarming.

With the two-stage unlock the first pulse unlocks the driver door and the second pulse the remaining doors.

This function is only active if the lock/unlock time is set at 0,5”. Setting 6” automatically disables the double pulse.

Instructions followed exactly as set out, tried it twice, made no difference but at least I didn’t mess it up and the system worked as before. aVS Gemini have been very helpful suggesting it could be a wiring fault and advising getting an approved fitter to look at it but not worth the expense as although I like things to work as they should it’s only a minor inconvenience having to operate the door release from the inside.

rooster63 - 2021-03-11 5:17 PM

Instructions followed exactly as set out, tried it twice, made no difference but at least I didn’t mess it up and the system worked as before. aVS Gemini have been very helpful suggesting it could be a wiring fault and advising getting an approved fitter to look at it but not worth the expense as although I like things to work as they should it’s only a minor inconvenience having to operate the door release from the inside.

I had a problem after I fitted a new fob battery, it turned out whoever fitted the alarm wired it wrong. As it happens there was an agent for my alarm in Newcastle who I took it to. They sorted it out for me and reprogrammed the fob, complained bitterly about Dealers fitting alarms badly and refused to rewire the alarm system properly for me. :D

My advice is to search online for local auto alarm agents.

I have a van conversion on Fiat Ducato X290 and a non-Gemini anti-theft device but I imagine very similar.

It is combined with the original Fiat remote control with three buttons:

1. total closure

2. cabin doors opening

3. sliding door and rear doors opening.

When I arm the alarm with button 1 all the doors will lock.

To deactivate it, I press button 2. Only the two cabin doors open.

If I want to open the sliding door and the rear door I have to press button 3.

Max

Have had another fiddle today. Interestingly when I do unlock the van using the Gemini fob there are clunking noises coming from the sliding door, it sounds like it is unlocking and then locking again. I re-programmed the alarm to disable the double pulse, no clunking. Will see how I get on once we start using the van and see how inconvenient it is not being able to unlock the sliding door directly when using the spare key that has no buttons. I think I will need an expert to sort it out at some point in time.

Archived