German Dometic 3 way fridge

Hi,

I got the above last year while touring and used it with mains. This year I want to use it with gas. Here in lies the rub, I has a German gas connector. I contacted Dometic and they would not sell me the hose or tell me what the connecter is.

Any one got any idea on where to buy such a beast.

It has a thread on the outside, the inside chamfers down from 10mm to about 5mm and the hole is covered.

Thanks Guys

Unless there is something out of the ordinary I'm missing, these fridges are designed to be installed using rigid gas piping, not flexible hose.

It sounds very much like the inlet is a 10 or 8mm (more likely) compression fit designed to take the appropriate diameter rigid gas pipe, and requiring an olive and a compression nut to make the join. The 'chamfer' and external thread both rather support that conclusion.

Without a picture this is, however, simply an educated guess. Given the nature of question, and unless you're sure what you're doing, I would advise professional installation.

My Germany-built 2005 Hobby motorhome came with a flexible gas ‘pigtail’ that connected a 30mbar on-bottle regulator to the vehicle’s metal 8mm gas pipework, and the pigtail’s connection to the metal pipework was via a compression fitting.

However (as Robinhood says) a Dometic fridge won’t be connected using a flexible hose of that type.

Bjorn Toulouse - 2019-06-09 2:12 PM

Hi,

I got the above last year while touring and used it with mains. This year I want to use it with gas...

Hi Just to clarify.. Is this fridge installed in a Motorhome/campervan?..or is it a free standing *camping fridge?

(because the, "I got the above last year.." bit makes it sound like the latter..?)

*If that is what it is then the "connector" (regulator) you need will depend on the type of gas bottles you'll be using...and any decent camping and/or caravan/motorhome outlet should be able to fix you up and advise accordingly.

...that might make a bit more sense....

The Dometic Combicool series, as an example, has a different (and specific) gas connection for the German market to that for the UK market (where a "barb" fitting is used, allowing a standard hose and regulator setup).

The inlet fitting itself appears to be a market-specific screw-in part, so the options might be either to source a hose in Germany, or approach a Dometic agent to see if the UK fitting could be substituted.

My suspicion is that the equivalent of this:

https://www.fritz-berger.de/artikel/gas-hose-2573

is what is required.

If (IF?) the OP does look at getting the fitting swapped, or sources an adapter to suit UK stuff,if it's possible I would suggest considering incorporating a 90degree elbow, so that it directs the hose horizontally across the back..

Our Dometic 3 way camping fridge has a Fulham fitting, which once you've allowed for a "sympathetic" radius to the hose, projects the hose out quite a lot, make packing/storing it without crimping the hose more difficult.

(We've a cheapie Kampa 3 burner gas camping stove which has a free rotating swivel elbow on the back.Something similar on the fridge would be ideal)

Archived