Getting the shine back

BS20

My 2005 Autocruise Starfire has lost its shine and gone to a matt white colour in places. I was thinking of getting a electric car polisher to try and get the shine back to the body. Has anyone tried or done this with a reasonable result, and what type of polish did you use ?

I believe the best and cheapest way to get a fantastic shine and get rid of the dull finish is to use WD40, I've been using it for many years now with no problem with the paintwork, all I do is have 2 soft rags and the WD40 spray can, spray a small area roughtly1mt diameter lightly with the WD40 rub it in for only about 1-2 minutes then use the other soft rag to get rid of any powder, just try a small panel first if you don't believe it works, I,m sure after you see the result you will then carry on and do the whole van.

I own an 8mt van and can do the whole van in less than 1 hour.

before I started to use this method I bought a polisher and used car polish, it took hours to finish the van and also left polish marks everywhere, haven't used the polisher since

I have done this twice. First time was an 8 year old CI Carioca 22 (painted aluminium sides) that was very dull, almost matt. Using a Lidl mains powered random orbital polisher, I used the foam pad to apply firstly Autoglym Paint Renovator then Autoglym Super Resin Polish. It was hard work, but it transformed the appearance of the van from a dull greyish "white" to a bright shiny white that was much easier to wash.

The polisher also worked well with Fenwicks Windowize plastic polish to rejuvinate the badly scratched & dull windows on the CI, finished off with Crystal Glo acrylic polish .

Latest was my current GRP Chausson a month or so ago, which was looking a bit dull after the winter. As it wasn't as badly deteriorated as the CI, I just used the Super Resin polish with the foam pad on the polisher followed by a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, which is just wiped on to the polished surface, left for 1/2 an hour & buffed off by hand. Result again is a bright shiny van that washes down much easier (grey streaks just wipe off) than before.

I did the CI in a long day, but spread the Chausson over two days this time - my wrists are "problematic" these days & wrestling the polisher for several hours is getting harder.

HTH

Nigel B

• 2 weeks later...

Autosleeper used to recommend Farecla for their Fibreglass Monocoque bodied vans, it certainly bought back the shine on my Talisman.

Easy available online, Farecla G3 rubbing paste 1kg tub lasts for years. for £15.

nigxl - 2019-06-08 6:22 AM

david lloyd - 2019-06-07 7:34 PM

Is this recommended for gel coat GRP?

David

It's what I use on my boat, works really well.

Normally use Autoglym polish on top afterwards

Ah, this is where I always get confused - between polish and wax - when we got the Worcester it was a bit dull so used Autoglym Polish first then a good wax on top - one of the Mcquires range - but all done by hand (old ones at that) and it's not back to as good as new yet.

David

I don't know if there is a easier way to reach the over cab area for polishing, without the hire of scaffold stands and spanning ladder across the front bonnet, if there is, please share , sky hooks are no longer available (^)

Be very careful if using a polisher, as if not used correctly they can cause damage, keep in mind that the sides of motorhomes are often very thinly coated aluminium and Sevel cabs have only a thin coat of paint with no lacquer. Once finished polishing ALWAYS wax afterwards to protect the shine

Aimed at fjmike for some advice !!

How to treat a Rapido roof after a good wash.

The roof is a flexible material that has dimples on it similar to those on a boat deck then fixed to a gel type material similar to the body panels.

Last time I treated it was with Mer which seemed to attract more dirt, maybe because I did not wax off as much as I should have due to the dimples. Also Mer has a silicone content.

The roof being out of sight just needs a good weather proofing and UV retardant.

The rest of the vehicle I treat with a marine polish and wax which seems to last a good while.

Last time I raised this question, there was some suggestion of marine grp decking treatment, but this might not be suitable as I imagine a non slip surface is paramount on a boat, and may not be acceptable on a motor home roof. I did not treat the roof but I feel it needs some protection now.

Any advice would be welcome.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-06-16 1:07 PM

Aimed at fjmike for some advice !!

How to treat a Rapido roof after a good wash.

The roof is a flexible material that has dimples on it similar to those on a boat deck then fixed to a gel type material similar to the body panels.

Last time I treated it was with Mer which seemed to attract more dirt, maybe because I did not wax off as much as I should have due to the dimples. Also Mer has a silicone content.

The roof being out of sight just needs a good weather proofing and UV retardant.

The rest of the vehicle I treat with a marine polish and wax which seems to last a good while.

Last time I raised this question, there was some suggestion of marine grp decking treatment, but this might not be suitable as I imagine a non slip surface is paramount on a boat, and may not be acceptable on a motor home roof. I did not treat the roof but I feel it needs some protection now.

Any advice would be welcome.

Rgds

Rapido roofs can be the most difficult van roof to keep clean due to the textured portions. I am currently trialing a hydrophobic sealant and will let you know if it's suitable.?. I don't recommend using anything like wet and forget as it can cause premature oxidation. Meantime it may well be prudent to use an aquawax such as demonshine or hobbydazzler

We had a Rapido for a number of years and am happy to advertise that the roof was never washed or treated at all.

The sides were only ever washed with a soft broom when it rained and no detergent. For the wheels I used washing machine powder.

The biggest nuisance were spiders which was a night time job with a chemical spray in the joints, but new ones always appeared in a few weeks.

The sale price made no difference whether I had spent hours cleaning or nothing so why do anything.

Thanks for the advice.

Good old Fenwicks seems a good option ! Unfortunately I can see the roof of the Rapido everyday, so tend to get a little paranoid when I see green shoots of something growing in the cracks.

Recent power washing by the Rain has made an improvement!

That said I took a look on the Fenwick website which seems to be not updated for caravans and motor homes since 2015. The bike side seems to work.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-06-16 5:40 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Good old Fenwicks seems a good option ! Unfortunately I can see the roof of the Rapido everyday, so tend to get a little paranoid when I see green shoots of something growing in the cracks.

Recent power washing by the Rain has made an improvement!

That said I took a look on the Fenwick website which seems to be not updated for caravans and motor homes since 2015. The bike side seems to work.

Rgds

Never rated Fenwick's stuff, nobody has heard of it outside the motorhome/caravan world. It's cleaner is far too strong for regular use, far better to use a car shampoo

• 2 weeks later...

It's a slow job !

Rapido roof has been cleaned, some stubborn black marks removed. I don't know what caused them, but a couple of them have collected the heat and have the appearance of cigarette burns, distorting the area around them.

Learning curve with a DA polisher (Dual Action) . Not as easy as shown on YouTube, but what is?

10 years of weathering, is gently being rectified. Points taken about going slowly.

Having seen a couple of DIY cleaning of American RVs , very little on UK sized mhomes, l do not know if I am envious of the size and ability to travel, or bl@@dy pleased I don't have to maintain one.

Edit, Reason for writing was to ask if any advance on a roof treatment ? Given it a coat of b(h)oobey dazzler as a temp measure.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-06-30 11:58 AM

It's a slow job !

Rapido roof has been cleaned, some stubborn black marks removed. I don't know what caused them, but a couple of them have collected the heat and have the appearance of cigarette burns, distorting the area around them.

Learning curve with a DA polisher (Dual Action) . Not as easy as shown on YouTube, but what is?

Rgds

The black bits are moss and it eats into the fabric of the roof. Just remember to change the pads on the DA frequently and often

zombies - 2019-07-01 3:04 PM

T-cut original

Autoglym super resin polish

Never use Tcut on a motorhome, it contains ammonia and will stain GRP yellow. Autoglym SRP is ok but only contains a small amount of wax, so the shine won't last

Archived